back to article Motorola Xoom gets Android 3.1

Motorola has released a UK Android 3.1 update for the Motorola Xoom, activating long-awaited features for early adopters. The patch brings users up to speed with Honeycomb's improved multi-tasking, resizable home screen widgets and keyboard and mouse compatibility, as well as a host of support for other USB or Bluetooth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RedSparrow
    FAIL

Stalled upgrade

Much to my initial delight, I switched on my Xoom this morning and logged in. I found a prompt saying that there was an upgrade available. I waited in anticipation as the thing started to reboot. A couple of blank screens and some kind of activity later and I was told that the installation had failed. Looking at xoom related forums, many people are suffering this so I wouldn't be suprised if this was some sort of joke.

2. DRendar
    Terminator

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Motorola... Released... an update?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

3. Dotter
    Facepalm

Android 3.2

Meanwhile, the OTA update for Android 3.2 for the Asus eee Pad Transformer was released in the UK a week ago.

4. Patrick O'Reilly

Already on 3.2

Got me one the week before last, decided to move to the US version for 3.2. support.

The browser is still useless, gonna stick with Opera Mobile for a decent web experience.

5. Neill Mitchell

3.1, like, wow.

Asus released 3.2 for their Transformer last Tuesday :)

It is also worth mentioning that the official Google SD functionality is read only. Yes folks, you heard it right - read only. You have to do all the writing via a PC or Mac. The reason Google gives is that tablets have big enough internal storage, so the external SD card should be only for music/video collections etc that you maintain via your desktop machine.

WTF are Google on? They seem to be making completely random decisions at the moment.

Luckily the Transformer retains it's full read/write Asus patch for SD support.

1. Random Handle

@Neill

It does r/w fine if you use the mediastore API as developer guidelines......it's far from a random decision.

1. Neill Mitchell

@Random Handle

I guess you are a coder. Developer guidelines is one thing. Real world application is another. This has left a lot of people unable to connect to their tablets. Why not support both USB disk and MTP and give the user the choice? Instead they just took USB disk away. Just saying "oh, it's a much better solution now" is an all to common purist attitude. This was an unnecessary and avoidable break.

6. Richard 72
    Meh

Motorola Xoom is *not* a GED

The primary reason I bought the xoom was that I thought it was a "Google experience device" - ie on the list of devices that Google prioritize for updates... However, it is NOT outside the US !! This has frustrated me almost to the point of returning it ... especially with 3.2 being distributed already to other tablets..

I'm not a "must have the latest" fanboi, but 3.0.1 was broken in soo many places, the browser, gmail and obviously the SD slot etc. About time... that's all I can say...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like