back to article Kinect space saver on its way

The problem with Xbox Kinect - aside from a decent range of top-drawer titles - is the inability to play without a large living room and yards of space. Gaming accessories manufacturer Nyko seeks to change all that, though, with this badboy accessory. The Nyko Zoom for Kinect reduces the space required to play Kinect by up to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Even better space saver.

Take the Kinect shit to CEX/Gamestation/Game and trade it in for something that actually works...

Problems solved.

2. bluesxman
    WTF?

£36?

... on top of the ~£100 for the device? For something that arguably MS should have made Kinect do in the first place? Hmph.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Maybe

Well they could have fitted a zoom lens, but how would you calibrate it?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Counting down

to MS releasing a modified version with this as an attachment, just to piss them off

4. Frank Drebin

M$

If such a simple mod like this actually works, it makes you wonder why this kind of functionality wasn't just built in. I know a few peeps whom have passed on getting Kinnected because of lounge real estate concerns. Seems M$ have been needlessly deterring customers with this kind of oversight. Hopefully any potential K2.0 will include it. :-)

5. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Shirley, looking thru binolulars the wrong way

Means it ought to be called the Nyko Mooz.

Will it track me getting my coat?

6. Marcus Aurelius
    WTF?

Sounds like the worlds most expensive

..piece of perspex!!

7. hplasm
    WTF?

Nyko Zoom £36.

Kinect in Asda £26.

8. Steve Foster

Rip-off?

Number Five should perhaps sue them for copyright infringement...

As long as it's Stateside, he should be in with a good chance.

cf. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/ for the terminally slow.

9. b166er

Seriously

Have you tried this?

Would Microsoft not have been able to accomplish this and deemed it sensible?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Waiting for suitable games probably...

Tie-ins for The Hobbit, Harry Potter: Below Stairs, Life's Too Short, Snow White, and We Get It Already, You Mean Dwarfs.

Maybe there's something in Teletubbies, they were full size adults in costume, you know. Which means the rabbits were enormous, and indeed they were.

10. thecresta

Mmm...

Does this mean the Kinect would see me as a child?

Reminds me of the 'cow' scene in Father Ted...

11. Ralthor
    Holmes

*Waits for...

... patent infringement claims to start flying.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

No, no

It's Microsoft, not Apple.

12. Christopher Rogers
    Thumb Up

Nice

This'll sell like hotcakes.

13. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

correct me if wrong, but...

wouldn't making "Kinect look the wrong way through a pair of binoculars" also reduce the resolution and therefore accuracy of detected motion? Not trying to be a smart-ass. Inquiring minds really do want to know...

1. LaeMing
      Boffin

Nope

It will reduce the /apparent/ size of what the kinect 'sees', which is what you want, because you are going to be standing closer, which makes your apparent size bigger again to compensate. Using it without moving closer to the device would, of course, do as you suggest, but that is not the point.

A better analogy than 'binoculars backwards' would be macro-mode on a digital camera - it still has the same k-pixels in the image, but the subject has to be a lot closer to the lense to fill the frame.

14. Alastair 7

A little skeptical

I'm skeptical of this- if it was that easy I'd imagine MS would have done it already. Wait for the reviews on this one, I suspect.

1. LaeMing

The main potential issue I see

is that the Kinect's view would probably become a bit fish-eyed and software may be less resilient at identifyiny the body's placement in the scene with the distortion, particularly around the edges. Only real-world testing would show if it is enough of an effect to matter.

15. Eddy Ito
    Facepalm

Specifications be damned

Undoubtedly the folks at MS thought about using a variable lens in the Kinect to accommodate a much greater range of playing distances. I'm sure it came down to the fixed lenses having a greater profit margin... err, I mean would be more affordable. With that in mind they simply picked what seemed to be a reasonable range and wrote it into the design spec. That said, dropping a set of specs over the top does seem an elegantly simple solution.

D'oh slap because I'm sure there are a lot of them being heard in Redmond about now.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

This has parallels...

This has parallels with the oversized controllers the Xbox 1 had at launch. I guess Americans must have bigger hands and bigger living rooms than the rest of the world, not to mention....

1. David Dawson
      Joke

bigger egoes?

To match.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

.. is it essentially a fish eye lense for the Kinect? How does the Kinect then correct proportions?

Anyway, I'm not really bothered: the missus wanted something with a game to do some exercises, tried the Kinect at PC World, neither of us were impressed, so I bought a Wii + Wii Fit on eBay.

I'm not fully convinced the Wii Fit is great either (it doesn't work well for me either, it's designed for 5 feet tall people with size 6 shoes weighting no more than 9.5 stones, in other words it's designed for Japanese), but the wife is happy (she easily fits in these specs!), so that's sorted as far as I'm concerned.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Think you hit the nail on the head mentioning Americans..

Microsoft didn't bother with it as most yanks have huge houses so it isn't an issue to them, its just us brits who live in tiny little boxes.

Think a bigger issue for Kinect is the complete lack of any actual games to play on it!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like