back to article No PS4 or Xbox 720 before 2014

The rumour mill about next-gen consoles has been in full swing for a while now, with little sign of slowing. The director of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim threw his hat in the ring this week, claiming the anticipated PS3 and Xbox 360 follow-ups are unlikely to appear before 2014. In an interview with CVG's PSM3 magazine, Skyrim …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

No need to next-gen yet.

PS3 fulfils all my gaming and media needs right now, and the games are still constantly getting even better.

I do feel sorta sorry for Xbox owners thou, as the ease of development that everyone touted means that it ran out of steam quite some time ago...

1. mrtom84

hmm

I feel sorry for the folk who have forked out the same amount of cash for inferior ports.

2. Citizen Kaned

next gen...

to be honest box xbox and ps3 are actually fairly decent consoles. both can improve massively and not just in terms of polygons being shifted.

they need to learn some lessons:

:: p2p for multiplayer is shite - most games require dedicated servers - even 1on1 someone has a massive hosting advantage.

:: a mouse needs to be FULLY supported. i refuse to play fps on a console due to the useless pads. i know both allow basic mouse usage but they need to support gaming mice with thumb buttons. they also need to be fully configurable. i know there are mouse gadgets but they try to rectify the acceleration and fudge it. it would also be nice to play with PC on the same servers (another reason they need the mouse and not the aimbot pads)

:: both need to be able to read and write to NAS boxes and be able to sort right (for some reason my ps3 fails to list albums in order on my nas box - i dont use the useless itunes method - i store under genre then artist then album. no use to me listing like in itunes as it moves the music all over the place, any colaborations get mixed up and its a total mess for people with many albums (we have laborously moved all our albums over to a NAS box)

:: both need ALL GAMES to play in 1080p or higher. so many games are upscaled on both consoles. often looking terrible

:: both need considerably more RAM. why both have such small amounts amazes me. it limits them no end. and due to multiplatform issues, PC gamers are suffering with poor ports and console limitations.

im sure there are more but not finished my coffee yet

1. Mike Oxlong
      Pint

PS3 & NAS

My PS3 is hooked up to my ReadyNAS Duo, and reads my folder structure correctly. I don't use iTunes either so have 1 folder per album. Under the 'Video' > 'NasBox' option I see 'Browse Folders' / 'Artist' / 'Album' etc...if I go to 'Browse Folders' I see the folder structure as I would expect, using any of the others gives me results rather like yours. Sorry if that doesn't help much, my only gripe with PS3/NAS is the whole 'no folder thumbnails' issue and I can't be arsed to use another box to run MediaServer or Twonky.

1. TakeTheSkyRoad
        Thumb Up

More NAS

I agree with your first paragraph wholeheartedly but sorry, the masses love pads so I can't see the big name fps's supporting a mouse anytime soon. Think the PS3 support bluetooth mice already but that's only handy when surfing.

Anyway, NAS wise I run a qnap with Twonky and have no problems though the folders are awkward to configure. Usually though this is the software on the NAS that's the issue not the PS3 since it just presents what the server (twonky in my case) presents. Most servers have a web gui as well as the DNLA interface though so try that too... that should give you album art etc.

1. Citizen Kaned

im not saying remove pads...

but those of us coming from PC fps just cant get into them, inaccurate and clunky (great for sports games etc) but for FPS they arent anywhere near as accurate (as the pad vs mouse tests prove)

i would just like everyone to be able to play and not be separated by platform. the masses only love pads as they dont know better :)

ive seen so many people on the BF forums come over to PC (as bf3 on pc will be one of the first games not to be crippled by multiplatform - i.e. pc version: 64 players, console version: 24) and now they love the precision you just dont get with a pad.

i still think some form of pad/mouse combo should be available that doesnt fudge the acceleration. the ones you get now are nowhere near the quality of a gaming mouse. im actually surprised that sony or M$ havent made a proper one themselves. after all, m$ do make decent mice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elder Scrolls

No matter what tech for Elder Scrolls 5, hopefully they've fixed that bloody annoying lockpick minigame to open a locked door!

4. Gadget Rage is BAD
    Trollface

@AC

Why exactly do you feel sorry for XBox owners? For all its touted power theres very few games that show much difference between the machines, shown by the fact pretty much every dual format game gets exactly the same score in reviews. Sure theres minor tweaks here and there but nothing that really effects gameplay that much and before you start on the fanboy route I have both and pick the games largely on the basis of how much I'll be playing them (they're in different rooms) and if I want to play online (in which case 360 still wins hands down).

Both machines have their flaws and strengths plain and simple, the whole ones better than the other arguments have been done to death and are pretty flippin boring. Really, who cares?

Anyway back on topic. Theres still a stack more they can do with both consoles and I'll happily stick with them for the next few years. To be honest I'd resent throwing down more money just to get more polygons. I'm with Citizen Kaned on the memory issue, nothing takes you out of the moment more than a loading screen.

5. jason 7
    Meh

Morrowind/Oblivion turd feature legacy

No the game series has to keep the tradition of one really annoying feature in each game. As you say the lockpick thing is one (I'd also include the bizzare and pointless charm/pursuade/threaten thing too) and the sodding constant blood vultures was the other.

As for new consoles, sooner the better. The 360 is the only bit of tech laying around that I have from 2006, like having a mangle in the living room its so old.

Xmas 2012 for sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Wow....

I am impressed your 360 still works from 2006, everyone I know who has a 360 is on their second, third or even fourth 360.

1. deegee
        Go

me good two

I bought my 360 at least 5 years ago, and it is working perfect as well, never a problem.

6. introiboad
    Coffee/keyboard

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I actually respectfully disagree with the comments so far.

I am not rich, but I do have the money to buy a new console, and I am not really into PC gaming. I like FPSs with a pad and love Oblivion, most Rockstar games and a few others. If I could play them with a top of the line CPU+GPU and lots of RAM from the comfort of my sofa I would gladly pay for that privilege. I am a bit tired of seeing Crysis 2 type videos on the internet that look absolutely amazing and then getting a low-res, low-poly version just because I happen to like consoles and not PCs for gaming (I own only a PS3 and love it, I just can't wait for the PS4).

1. deegee

Get a PC

So play them with "a top of the line CPU+GPU and lots of RAM from the comfort of my sofa" there is nothing stopping you...

There are lots of people who are building i7-2600K 8GB SSD+1TB HD6970/GTX580 gamer rigs inside of HTPC cases, installing Win7, and using a wireless keyboard,mouse and controller just to play games on their 42"-55" HD big screen over HDMI.

I have an HTPC system with i3 4GB SSD+8TB Win7 and it boots quick and gets me into my movies or games quickly. It only cost me ~$800 to build, which is not that much more than a fully spec'ed out X360 or PS3.

1. introiboad
        Holmes

Re: Get a PC

You are right, I could setup an HTPC and hook it up to my HDTV. But there are a few annoyances that prevent me from actually wanting to do so:

1) Friends: For some reason most of them have PS3s, so I won't be able to play online with them. They would all buy a PS4

2) Keyboard/mouse: I code for a living but when I sit down on the sofa to play an FPSs I don't want a keyboard or mouse, I want a controller.

3) Tricks/unknowns/differences: When I play online on the PS3 I know that, other than the lag/ping, we're playing the same game at the same frame rate and with the same controller. I see this as being fair, and I hate being fragged by someone on the PC and thinking that it's because they have a better setup or control method.

All that said, I am seriously considering it. Any recommendations for an HTPC?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like