back to article Dragon Bannatyne threatens to break arms of 'Russian' bloke

Dragon's Den star Duncan Bannatyne upset the gentle sensibility of the twitterati yesterday, after he forgot he wasn't talking to one bloke down the pub when making empty threats to break the arms of a "Russian". He offered a £25,000 reward to anyone who could track down the person behind the Twitter handle YuriVasilyev_, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Svantevid

Illegal or not...

"other tweeters soon waded in, pointing out that Bannatyne was making very public illegal threats"

---

As a father, I totally support him.

Although he should have used a more covert means to locate and kneecap the b*******.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a father, I totally support him.

I forgot that laws don't apply to fathers.

1. Steve Evans

re: Re: As a father, I totally support him.

Given the threats made to his daughter, I doubt it would be in the public interest for the CPS to drag him before the beak, although they've done dafter things in the past.

All he'd have to do is opt for crown court trial and I don't think there is a jury in the land who wouldn't say he was justified in saying what he did.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

OK, as a parent..... then,

I understand his anger, even if I can't condone his resolution process. I'd be equally angry if someone attempted blackmail on me and used threats against my family or close relations. My anger, but probably not my concern, would diminish as my relationship increased in distance.

The Little (or not so little) shit blackmailer is despicable and deserves punishment if detected and found guilty!

It is, generally, not cost effective even if you are a Government (mostly) to indulge threats of violence by yourself or paid/unpaid proxies.

If Mr. B. hadn't threatened violence and/or a reward would we ever be having this exchange?

3. BorkedAgain

Re: Re: As a father, I totally support him.

Sorry, when did it become illegal to express support for someone?

FWIW, I can certainly see Bannatyne's point of view as well; should I expect a visit from Plod?

4. CD001

Laws don't apply to fathers

Laws ONLY apply to people who get caught and don't have enough money to bribe/lawyer their way out... *shrugs*

If he'd seriously wanted the blackmailers arms broken he'd not have tweeted it - he'd have just quietly bribed/scammed someone at twitter to reveal whatever information they have about YuriWhatsitov and/or hired a private investigator (there's probably a few looking for work now the NotW is no more) to track down the guy's location...

5. Frank Bough
        WTF?

Remind me

...exactly who would be the injured party in this case? Threatening to break the arms of an anonymous person? Let them reveal themselves to make a complaint.

2. Mark 78

Won't somebody think of the children.......

As Bill Bailey said 'There’s this one celebrity, Rosie O’Donnell, a talk show host, and she said this: “I don’t know anything about Afghanistan, but I know it’s full of terrorists, speaking as a mother.” So what is this "speaking as a mother" then? Is that a euphemism for "talking out of my arse"?'

So is "Speaking as a father" as similar thing?

1. Steve Taylor 3
        FAIL

Won't somebody think of the context...

> So what is this "speaking as a mother" then? Is that a euphemism for "talking out of my arse"?'

>

> So is "Speaking as a father" as similar thing?

The only real difference is that Rosie O'Donnell is talking irrelevant nonsense and the poster you're criticising is using the phrase in a meaningful context.

He could be paraphrased for the slow of thinking as saying something like "Being a father has affected my view of the world such that I would now say X when I formerly would have said Y."

Hope that helps.

2. Svantevid

@Mark 78

"So is "Speaking as a father" as similar thing?"

---

No.

Let me explain: when you have children, your whole life changes according to their needs. A huge chunk of your free time and your money goes into raising them properly. Why do you sacrifice all that time and all that money? Because you love them more than you love anyone else, including yourself. If there is any person in your life you'd jump in front of a speeding car for, then that person is your child.

So when someone threatens to hurt your child, you'll do anything to stop him/them. In many cases - probably in huge majority of cases - as violently as possible.

Hell, tie them down and let child's mother deal with them... then clean up the mess and get rid of the evidence.

3. Cameron Colley

RE: I forgot that laws don't apply to fathers.

Couldn't give a fuck which laws apply or don't in this situation. Preventing someone from hurting someone you love by any means at your disposal is never wrong, regardless of legality.

By the way, I'm not advocating vigilante-style justice should be the norm, or that it was the best way to deal with the situation -- just that had he actually gone through with it I would not blame him in the slightest. If you threaten violence you should expect it in return.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Profit to be made

The bloke's only got to break his own arms and he's 20,000 up on what he wanted.

As an aside, why do people who think they've got a good idea give up most of their business for such paltry amounts. Best idea is to go on the show for publicity then reject all offers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't

I wouldn't break my own arms for £20,000 1) it'll hurt, 2) it's inconvenient to a very large degree 3) If I wanted someone's arms broken I'd want them properly broken preferably all 3 of the main bones in both arms, and that would take a long time to heal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: I wouldn't

I don't think multiple bones take any more time to heal than single ones, it would just mean a full arm cast instead of just forearm. Still only 6 weeks in plaster.

If you want to make the healing longer you'd have to stagger the breakages, and lets face it, it'll be a lot easier to break someone's left arm when you'd already broken their right 3 weeks earlier!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Neither would I

But then I wouldn't threaten anybody's daughter neither and I suppose others have done a lot worse for less. Poverty and hunger are great driving forces, they are still people who traffic drugs in Singapore even though if caught it's an automatice death sentence. If one of those mules were to weigh up the risk to profit ratio which do you think they'd choose, a bit of discomfort for 50,000 or a broken neck for probably next to nothing?

2. Seanie Ryan
      WTF?

1. fair play to Duncan. he reacted like any father. For anybody talking about his 'illegal threat', lets not forget how illegal it is to threaten his daughter. Another example of the victim becoming the criminal.

People have no fear of the consequences of their actions these days because they can get away with it and do-gooders will go on about their 'rights'.

2. Break both of your own arms? OK they will heal, but while you have 2 arms in a cast, who will wipe your arse?? That would humble any man!

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Kick the ass of those emo liberal tweeters, I say.

"But other tweeters soon waded in, pointing out that Bannatyne was making very public illegal threats."

Oh no it's illegal!! We have to point it out!!!

What are these people doing tweeting? Don't they have to support Obama doing the debt ceiling thing?

4. Ancient Oracle funkie

Can't think of a title

If someone threatened on of my kids I'd break the bugger's arms myself. But I'm not worth £400+ million so can't afford to pay someone else to do it. Or at least I doubt anyone would do it for £35 - the equivalent percentage of my worth!

1. jm83

rewards for violence

Why cant a working man in this day and age pay for violence to be inflicted upon would be familial harmers... Once again its one rule for the rich and....

2. VinceH
      Joke

Letters, digits.

Three and a half pence, for me, then.

5. Oliver Mayes

So presumably

He'll be going to prison then? The police have already demonstrated that an empty threat on twitter counts as an actual threat of violence.

Also, what's with the 'Expect us' bit in the original threat? Are anonymous getting in on this too?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hmmmm....

I think the correct method for handling this ex-soviet bloke (be that belarus or russia), can be summed up as "no thieves guild license".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hollie is going to get hurt. We will bring pain and fear

A couple of broken arms seems like a very mild response in those circumstances.

Laying into the father seems like a misguided waste of energy. Laying into the thug would be more appropriate.

The serious question is what, in the face of something like this, should someone (celebrity or not) *do* ? What would the police response to this be, especially as it professes to come from another country?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can see why he's rich

The guy wants £35,000, but he offers just £25,000 (to someone else) to make him go away.

A saving of £10,000.

9. Amraj
    Coat

Mystery solved

the perp says:

"We do not give up. We will stand tall"

Its Peter Jones. Where do i pick up my cheque? It better not be one of those big cardboard cheques... they are pain to cash!

Your sincerely

Columbo

10. b166er

Agreed, but

Threats of violence can't be tolerated in any way.

I have to wonder what DB has done to these Bellarussians to incur their wrath though.

Let's suppose he has royally screwed them over, how would they get their own back?

We only have the very public Twitter-base side of the story to go on.

1. PatientOne

@b166er

"I have to wonder what DB has done to these Bellarussians to incur their wrath though."

Erm, he's got a lot of money. It really is that simple. £35,000 isn't even pocket change to him, which is why it's clear this isn't personal: It's just some thugs thinking he'll pay because it's such small change. Don't forget: Scamming £10 off 10000 people is a lot easier than trying to scam £50,000 off one person, and you've a better chance of getting away with it, too.

11. Pete 43

Quick

Lets develop some personal security devices, for the next series of Dragons' Den

12. Rampant Spaniel

Special Sprinkles

on those Glasgow icies? Sounds like the vans round Manchester. Charlie with your choc ice!

Irrespective of his past, his daughter doesn't even deserve the worry from a threat. As a father I'd want to do the same although I would be more discrete. I hope the CPS don't do anything. It's an entirely understandable reaction.

13. NomNomNom

investment opportunity

Hi my names Nomnomnom and I am looking for a £25,000 investment in my company, Russian Limb Breaking Ltd.

14. NomNomNom

LOL

In Soviet Russia, local man threatens your daughter for money.

15. Ross 7

You just don't do that

Posting on Twitter asking to have the guys arms broken is just downright wrong.

The right way is to msg him back saying "oh noes plx don't hurt my Hollie - meet me behind the Dog and Duck tomo night and I'll give you the £35k" whereupon you break his arms, tie him to a concrete block and send him for a swim in the Thames. Some ppl...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad choice of words

There's not really any story here. He made a bad choice of words, it was pointed out and he rephrased it.

17. Frank Drebin

Hmmm

Can the ever so creepy Evan Davis prove his whereabouts at the time of said tweet being written?

Anyway, this business is totally un-scalable and so for that reason, I'm oooooot.

18. kain preacher

Wow

Not much thinking going on. If I believe the rumors he is a bit thuggish with lots of money . There are easier ways to end your life other than peeing on a thug.

19. Slay
    Go

break his arms when he enters the house

carte blanche applies, as per recent ruling

20. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Holy F*ck!

You mean that irritating dour c*nt has a modicum of personality?

*Yawn* - don't give the piss dribbling cock sucker any more free publicity. Unsubscribe now.

P.S. I would happily break everbody's arms throughout the country if it meant I'd never see Evan Davis on my T.V. again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like