back to article IRISnotes Executive 1.0 digital pen

Composed of standard looking battery-powered pen and rechargeable receiver module, the IRISNotes Executive aims to relieve some of the tedium of transcribing handwritten notes by converting your scribblings into useable text and drawings. IRISnotes Executive 1.0 Pen pal: IRISnotes Executive 1.0 Designed to work …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Errm

Alternatively, scan your regular handwritten notes, then OCR. No need for special pen, paper, or clip on thingy in the correct place.

Technology for technology's sake.

2. DrXym

Java roots should not affect the GUI

Java's look and feel in Swing is skinnable and the default behaviour is to adopt the appearance of the platform its running on. Proper use of layouts also means the gui would cope with changes caused by user's default theme, font sizes and so on. A "normal" app really has no excuse for going off and doing its own thing.

IMO it's more likely the UI designer decided that the familiarity, predictable behaviour, and decades of experience that went into building the operating system's buttons and other controls weren't for this app. Instead they should all be tossed out for some stupid eye candy.

3. Jim 16
    Stop

Title

I don't understand. It seems to work fine. The only problems seem to be a button that you didn't like and the bamboo pattern in the UI. These seem to be very minor points.

What did this device mess up so badly that it deserves such a low score?

4. Adrian Jones

Sounds interesting

I could see a use for it, for capturing diagrams, but I have trouble reading my own handwriting, so I think the OCR side would be completely incapable of deciphering it.

5. Andrew A
    Headmaster

I have no interest in this product whatsoever...

...but the product name is eyecatching when scanning the headlines on the front page. However, this is only because my brain keeps catching the word Snot in IRISnotes!

6. Riatsala

Paste into OneNote?

I'm trying to get hold of one that will paste vector handwriting into OneNote.. (Like this:http://pegatech.blogspot.com/2009/06/copying-notes-from-notetaker-into.html

But they won't tell me where to buy in the UK..) Because then I could search my handwriting in OneNote, and not bother with OCR.. And have a portable solution for notetaking...

7. Midas
    FAIL

Great concept, but don't you believe that hype...

Over a decade ago I inherited the original IRIS pen line scanning device (connectable to the now elderly parallel port) from a disgruntled user who got fed up with the lack of support that seemed to plague the mother company.

On their behalf, I must confess that to this day I am still impressed with the general quality of the output generated; plus it had the ability to scan barcodes in a time there weren't many devices that could do it.

A few years ago, I again got offered the same kind of device on some festive ephemerid, but now in a USB attachable form.

Want my advice? Forget this!

They'll never update the driver software to correct the million 'paper cuts' it exhibits, that although negligible will merge to drive you up the walls in no time if you try to do some serious work with their product.

They'll also have the nerve to try and charge you for newer versions, which will be mere modern platform iterations of their old software. And they will never, ever provide even an auto-responder answer to any of your desperate emails. There are better holes to throw your money into...

8. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

Would Be Fun...

...to use as an artist's sketchpad, the advantage over a touch screen being an "original" to sell to collectors.

Because beer isn't free.

9. Ian Ferguson
    Meh

Meh

Not entirely sure what the attraction is in going back to handwriting. I can type far faster than I can write - even on an iPad. This seems a bit of a legacy device.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like