back to article Gun-toting meth addict gets 12 years for ID theft

A California man has been sentenced to more than 12 years in prison for his role in an international phishing ring that stole the identities of more than 38,000 people. Tien Truong Nguyen, 34, of Long Beach, received the 151-month sentence from US District Judge Morrison C. England, who called the phisher of men “a one-man …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

20 years seems more appropriate

This guy is clearly a loser who hasn't learned from his past mistakes. Twenty years seems more appropriate than 12, to me.

2. JC 2
    WTF?

Meth... It Ages You FAST

Interesting that he was 30 yo in 2009 (linked Reg article) but he's now 34 in 2011.

I finally understand why meth heads look years older than they really are.

3. Michael Dean

Too early

My morning brain read the headline as "Gun-Toting 12 Year Old Meth Addict Gets ID Theft"

4. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Emergency erasure

I came across several meth-odds for emergency erasure, from sledgehammer to acid to IEDs and, in military, hand grenades to be used on crypto devices. But hey, a simple big bore shotgun could do the trick! Well, not in this case, I'm afraid...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 strikes

Sounds like he's already had two convictions so a few years ago it would have be life without parole under the California "3 strikes and your out" law. Think they got rid of that when they worked out how expensive it was going get to keep a growing number of prisoners locked up for the next 30-40 years.

1. kain preacher

3 strikes

They did what ? Nope there solution is to build more jails and let less and non violent offenders out of jail. All though they have come close to decriminalizing marijuana for personal use . You get caught with a joint it's the same penalty as jay walking. You pay the fine unless you want to contest it in court .

3 strikes law could cost $20 mil a minute and no politician would get rid of it for fear of looking weak. Well almost no politician. There are DAs that oppose it .

6. Kevin 43
    Trollface

I see what you did there!

"Phisher of men"... i like it.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

It's China, I tell you !

They're sending their infiltrators deep into enemy territory to strike from within !

8. Franklin
    FAIL

A title is required

"...who called the phisher of men “a one-man wrecking crew when it comes to identity theft.” According to court documents, Nguyen and two cohorts..."

Shouldn't that be a 'three-man wrecking crew'?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like