back to article We can reQall it for you wholesale

A new service, launching in the UK today and the USA come January, aims to remember all those things you're destined to forget in the run-up to Christmas by taking voice memos over your mobile and transcribing them into emails and a to–do list. The reQall service is pretty simple to understand: After registering at the website …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bertie bassett

dumb dumb dumber

Hmm

Nice service idea, but really why are they doing in on 0800? Most people will want to use this service when they are on a mobile, and not near paper/pen etc.. 0800 from a mobile, now 17p per minute on an 02 tariff..this service will really start to get expensive quite quickly...

I find texting/emailing myself from a Blakcberry and leaving it as unread email works pretty well for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't that be reQuill

I know the reference to PKD's short story, but...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me see

I call a number, leave a message, it is transcribed and the text mailed back to me with a voice recording.

How thick do you have to be to need such a service let alone use it?

4. frank denton

Memo-Mash

I've constructed a mashup from two items of existing open source technology, the biro and the notepad. I'm keeping the details secret for now until I've persuaded someone to back my idea via an IPO. I intend to make money by offering support and tutorials on how to use it.

It performs a similar function to reQuall (with greater accuracy) at very low cost.

Please contact me for details and also send cheques to gain advance share allocations.

5. Slaine

and will these texts be encrypted to protect your data?

nyip prook yardle spick crob yadda yadda crap!

6. Stan

Mr Paranoid again

Good idea, it should be offered as a (god help me for writing this) web 2 app though. A working on-line dictation service would be very usefull to the keyboardialy challenged.

Tricky stuff voice recognition, kind of falls into the same class as image and facial recognition. There have been a lot of "who do you look like" try-it-out apps on the web of late (grab yer tinfoil hat) but who stands to gain the most from them?

These services can give great value for the developers by testing the applications in the real-world but they also can provide a lot of data. Data such as:

Email address

Telephone number

IP address

Voice fingerprint

Digital characteristics profile

Photo

Ok, my tinfoil hat is made from 10mm billet aluminium but if I was trying out any of these apps I would be using someone else's phone or photo just for the dis-information value.

cheers

7. Smilin' Stan
    Thumb Up

Try Jott First

Jott.com - browse the site and see how this type of service can be used. Email/Text-transcription w/link to wav file to individuals, groups, self, reminders, appointments in Google calendar, and more. Very simple, and very surprisingly, "just works." Nothing to do with ability to type (as some have commented), but as an alternative - very handy from my cell.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

RE: Memo-Mash

I hate to break it to you, but Biro isn't open source... Paper is though, but I still think you'll be hearing from someone's lawyers. Probably not even Biro's.

9. Morely Dotes
    Thumb Down

Now FREE! If your IQ is up to 35!

"as long as it remains free there seems little reason not to sign up,"

Yes, the threat of ID theft and having your credit rating destroyed is no reason not to take advantage of a service created to keep muppets from forgetting to pay their mobile phone bill.

If the bloody phone is capable of voice recording, use it to do that. Otherwise, consider carrying a small notepad and a ballpoint. Or hire a minder, if yo ucan't manage to write notes to yourself.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like