back to article Mystery data centre snag floors LiveJournal

Community and blogging site LiveJournal is continuing to suffer a prolonged outage. The service has been down since Monday due to unspecified data centre problems. Russian media firm SUP bought LiveJournal from original developers Six Apart back in 2007 before moving product development and design functions to Russia. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Its not actually totally down...

..It is sometimes totally unresponsive, and sometimes its even more sluggish than it normally is (which means its very very slow) but its not totally down.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Its not actually totally down...

I believe that the recognised state that you are struggling to describe there is; "Dying on its arse".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

LiveJournal?

People still use that?

1. Stoneshop
      FAIL

In Soviet Russia

LiveJournal uses you.

2. John Gamble
      Thumb Down

Anonymous Coward?

People still do that?

3. Code Monkey
    Trollface

LIveJournal

Its 5 users must be gutted.

4. pip25
    Boffin

It appears to be location-dependent

LJ is down in Europe, but with a US VPN it still works pretty smoothly. Odd.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Geographic load balancing

That's actually the sort of behaviour you'd expect if they're using DNS to load balance between datacentres on each continent and only one has a problem (also means they haven't then decided to route all Euro traffic to the US servers, or the change hasn't propagated yet).

P.S. "me too" for the "people still use LiveJournal?!?" sentiment

2. Dave Bell

It is all down?

I was getting some access yesterday. I see good times and bad times, so maybe location, time, and load, all make a difference.

5. Frank Drebin

lol...

Oh LJ, you interweb relic.

In other news - AOL keywords in decline.

6. Trev 2

Clicked the status link and then link at bottom

Status page at least is hosted by "Warped Unlimited Web Hosting" who'll host your entire site for $5. This might explain a few things if they're also hosting the rest of LJ.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

DDoS

LJ have stated now it's a DDoS attack.

8. Roger Stenning
    FAIL

..aaaaaand... (drumroll, please)

Damn thing's still down. Can't get past the login screen.

OK, it's free.

OK, it's not that well respected by some out there.

But ye gods, can't they at least stick a "the server's screwed, come back later" page up instead of the login page, until they actually DO get it fixed?

This topic is closed for new posts.