back to article Microsoft kicks SUSE another $100m

The SUSE division of Attachmate has managed to talk Microsoft into shelling out another chunk of change – $100m – to help prop up SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, the Linux distro formerly controlled by Novell, and to help drive Red Hat's rival distro from Windows shops. This is the third reseller agreement that Microsoft has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little, too late....

>Rego did not know how much of the 2008 $100m deal had been burned through by Novell and now SUSE

All of it and then some?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Attachmate/Microsoft Suse Linux

is the proper name. Everyone knows Microsoft is funded the deal in more ways than publicly. This is the new type of acquisition strategy for monopolies. AMD will be acquired by Telsa next with a patent agreement with Intel.

1. Pinkerton
        WTF?

"Everyone knows..."

Do they? Do they really?

To which definition of the word "everyone" are you working? The one that means "not everyone", I presume.

Ah! Maybe I've missed the joke: The beer glass icon actually indicates "unsubstantiated factoid using statistics magicked out of one's arse man-in-the-pub stylee".

2. TeeCee Gold badge

SUSE.

As SUSE appear to be continuing support for Itanium, unlike Red Hat, I'm surprised that they haven't tried waving the begging bowl at HP.

It'd be win-win. SUSE get the cash they need and a massive sales partner, HP get to remove that inconvenient obstruction from their Linux roadmap.

1. Jay 2
      Linux

SLES vs the lumbering beast that is HP-UX 11

I'm not a great follower of HP in the UNIX/Linux stakes at the moment, but I'd hazard a guess they (HP) wouldn't put much effort in pushing SLES on Itanium if they can still push HP-UX. Still every little helps...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Boffin

RE: SLES vs the lumbering beast that is HP-UX 11

As a personal choice, if I couldn't run hp-ux on Itanium for a project, I'd rather run one of the older Red Hat releases like RHEL5 than SLES. Just personal pref.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Linux

Microsoft Favoured Linux Distro

There is so much wrong with that title I am rolling around in my grave and I am not even dead yet.

The Tux icon because thankfully there is a healthy choice in other distros out there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like