back to article HP board gives Leo $10bn more funny money

The board of directors at IT giant Hewlett-Packard think that HP's stock is undervalued and that the company needs to bolster the earnings per share that the company will report in future quarters. Thus the board has given CEO Leo Apotheker an additional $10bn in funny money to send in truckloads encrypted packets down to Wall …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Invest in technology

HP should start reinvesting in technology or buying key companies. Logmein seems to fit perfectly with their PC business and is a must have for their fledgling tablet entry...might be too late by the time it is available.

1. Chris 3
      Black Helicopters

Hmmm.

Looking for an exit strategy are you, Mr Coward?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Pick me..

Is that Simon in front of the the mic..?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Simon Says No

just a crazy IT person who knows something that would help HP get into the sw game.....and yes i have 500 shares....wishing I had 5000

2. Shane Kent

Or is it...

Their logo and name are overvalued?

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

WTF?

"The share repurchases were also designed to counteract the dilution caused by shares issued under employee stock plans "

Disingenous in the extreme.

I don''t know any HP staff who have bought Shares under the new Employee Stock Plan - it was a pathetic 5% discount.

Ah, hang on, I do know a few "employees" who have bought "Shares", here they are:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=HPQ

:-))

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

$10bn?

So, that would be 1.5 Sun Microsystems then? Or 50 of Larry's yatchs. Or 270-odd Hurd payoffs.

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: $10bn?

Actually, it is more like 1.8 Sun Microsystems, net of cash.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

RE: Re: $10bn?

Maybe I missed it, but do we have a standard Reg unit of corprorate excess/stupidity? Counting in Larrys where one Larry = 1 Ellison yatch @ $200m-a-pop might give too many large numbers of Larrys (and the idea of multiple Larrys would probably make most readers' skins crawl!).

/Discuss.

2. Allison Park

2 Suns

With the cash at Sun it only cost 5B. Was it HP that said no to Larry about taking the hardware business? Is Mark a genius or stupid lucky?

This topic is closed for new posts.