back to article AMD readies Bulldozers to ship next month

The hybrid CPU-GPU chips for mobile PCs gave Advanced Micro Devices some breathing room in the second quarter, but it's going to take continued ramping of these APU processors and an upswing in Opteron server sales to get the company back to the profit levels it should be enjoying during a retooling phase in the IT market – and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stinky
    Thumb Up

Why rock the boat now

Keep the interim CEO in there, he seems to be doing a good job. A new CEO means massive payout and to many unknowns. Keep it going boys your firing all all 8.

2. Lorddraco
    Thumb Down

mark hurd?

lucky mark hurd decline ...

if not ..I see downfall of AMD. Mark Hurd is never a techno and believe in R&D. Only cost cutting

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The future sounds...

...rosy? Well good enough to survive a bit longer and provide some Intel competition until ARM begins to hit desktops.

Bulldozer will be interesting - most of the performance (25%) comes from the move from 12 to 16 "cores" but there is still a performance bump.

Fantastic news that Hurd turned down the CEO role - he'll have to find some other company to ruin.

4. mhenriday
    Pint

But we - and AMD badly need -

some reliable (i e, not DonanımHaber) Bulldozer benchmarks (and prices), to see if its release will, in fact, give the company a boost and offer us users a bit more healthy competition in the CPU field....

Henri

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Interesting news

I am about to start looking a new machine (looking for something like a 48-core 256 GB RAM job), even if the bulldozers arrive too late, prices of older machine might drop.

6. Mikel
    Thumb Up

AMD makes some great server procs

It depends on the use case of course, but they're no slouch. It's good to see competition in the field, so I hope the people who need 'em buy 'em. Otherwise the price for the Intel chips goes through the roof and we have no choice to follow Intel's direction for the market - like when they wanted to push Itanium (and Rambus RAM before that) and we only escaped that dire fate because AMD pulled our fat out of the fire.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Totally agree

The opteron machines here have been great. The old Xeons (pre-Quickpath) were not very good on shared memory parallel computing, because the front-side bus throttled the memory bandwidth. The opterons have given 75-80 % efficiency on 24 cores. Really neat.

7. rav
    Thumb Up

Graphics accounting...

How do you account for your graphics division with so many many cores are being sold on-die?

The Fusion design eliminates the mid price point market, so looking forward the 18 month old tech that most of us purchase will probably not be needed due to on-die Fusion tech. Or why buy GTX when a Radeon card will work so nicely with the Fusion on-die Radeon core.

When does the Radeon 6990 show up on die?

I expect though that the Graphics Division will start making heaps when it starts supplying Nintendo, Xbox and Sony Playstation with graphics cores. That is 50 million units at least for the various consoles. Nintendo evidently is a done deal, Xbox was announced by AMD perhaps prematurely. When do consoles start using desktop cpu's to stay competitive? Since we all know Intel can;t design GPU's and nVidia is strangely absent from the console wars, it looks like AMD will gain huge!

1. stizzleswick
      Go

@rav

"When do consoles start using desktop cpu's to stay competitive?"

Er... consoles are right now using big iron CPUs, e.g. the PS3's Cell CPU, which has been used to build several supercomputing clusters. Granted, it seems Sony wants to get out of the supercomputing sector (as of the latest PS3 software updates).

Fact is, the CPUs used in today's gaming consoles' CPUs are often a level above what you can get off the shelf in a PC, or even in many workstations.

Concerning the graphics units, nVidia's absence from the console bids might be an indication that that particular market is not very profitable -- just a thought and I may be wrong. The dedicated graphics unit will certainly stay in existence in the professional level for quite a while. That's strictly high-end stuff, though.

In the short term, I guess the low- and mid-end graphics markets are going to be made redundant by the on-going trend of combining general processing and graphics processing units into a single chip; at the performance levels possible these days, I am seriously expecting to see entry-level gaming PCs without any separate graphics chips on the shelves this year, if they haven't already materialised while I was not looking.

8. Cyberius
    Thumb Up

I want this on my desktop

When will this be available for consumer PCs? Zambezi will probably be released next after Llano. I hope a 16 core Zambezi will available in the coming months.. I can smell FX 8800.. =)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like