back to article Yates of the Yard quits Met over phone-hacking scandal

Scotland Yard's Assistant Commissioner John Yates quit his job with the Metropolitan Police this afternoon. The Met issued this brief statement: "Assistant Commissioner John Yates has this afternoon indicated his intention to resign to the Chair of the MPA [Metropolitan Police Authority]. "This has been accepted. AC Yates …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Naylor
    FAIL

Same old same old...

a couple of top people "resign" and then the scandal gets muted.

Cos ofc that makes all the difference :)

If one solitary person had been "caught" with evidence of "phone hacking", specially if the US was involved, they'd be up for long sentences. When it comes to our Met police or the most influential newsgroup in the UK, it'll be the usual "oh well, yes you were naughty, slap on wrist, token resignations, etc" then back to "normal".

It's quite blatant that this is endemic. And as for Labour barking about it..! hah! they were the ones in power when all this happened and they totally ignored it.

i could go on....

2. Ally J
    Black Helicopters

Is it right to assume they're keeping their pensions?

Get out before the vast amounts of sh!t in the fans covers them too much, leave with 'integrity' 'intact' - and a pension that's likely to be way above average earnings?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Sadly...

If he were to be found to be culpable or guilty of an act of gross incompetence he cannot now be dismissed, censured and penalised. He has escaped - should he have been investigated and found guilty, that is..... But he wasn't guilty of anything and we'll never know what he wasn't guilty of now. You don't get out with/for NotW.

2. Alan Firminger

And ...

... expect to learn about Lord Donaldson, of Brixton.

3. Tom 38

Which pension?

Having quit the Met, he should now be on for a cushty role with BTP, allowing him to earn himself another pension.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Not enough

Presumably this is a simple case of deflection. By resigning, these guys are hoping that the prevailing opinion will be "well, they weren't proved to have done anything wrong and by resigning they have effectively punished themselves. So there's no reason to take this any further. Eh? What? Old bean? yes I'd love another G and T - what-ho!"

However, that ain't so. An innocent person would not fall on their sword. Two in as many days isn't "doing the honorable thing". It's a calculated attempt to minimise the damage - hoping that if they lay low, things will just blow over. Especially if the police can manage to drag their investigation out for 2 or more years. After all, you can't prosecute people while there's still an investigation going on - as the vested, establishment, interested keep telling us.

Maybe what we need is to put the investigation on hold. Prosecute some seriously deserving individuals, then restart the investigation to mop up the ones who were missed.

The tricky bit will be obtaining evidence. We found out from the De Menezes investigation that the police will all tell the same story (as they are allowed to confer before giving a statement - unlike ordinary people) and that they are willing to lie through their teeth to appear blameless in that story. We also discovered from the same investigation that it's highly unlikely that anything bad will happen to those involved. If killing an innocent person in cold blood doesn't give rise to jail time, what chance has a little police corruption got to punish the actual wrongdoers?

So, we have (so far) some high ranking officers leaving the force. We can't have any confidence in the police's ability or willingness to prosecute their own and we have an investigation that will nicely block any further legal action until at least 2013. On top of that, I suspect we have a cabal of politicians from all parties who have nothing to gain from turning over these particular stones, as whatever crawls out is as likely to bite them as anybody else. I would also expect that a lot of journalists and editors are also more than happy to drop this story as they, too, have nothing to gain and potentially a lot to lose from keeping it in the public consciousness.

1. Richard Taylor 2
      Thumb Up

Not so fast

"An innocent person would not fall on their sword. Two in as many days isn't "doing the honorable thing"

Given the sh** storm that might come out, I think an innocent (and smart) individual might decide to bail.

On the other hand it does not seem they were :-) and I have to agree with the thrust of the post.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

On reflection

Yes, I think you're right. They *could* be innocent but I that would surprise me even more.

Where are the political satire shows when we need them most?

2. Onid
      Flame

You've hacked into my brain haven't you??? get out!!

I agree in it's entirety. I was really wound up when this hacking non-sense started up seeing nothing and no one being prosecuted. The only way these tossers aren't guilty was if the resignation was closer to the time of this story breaking out (not now - the original beginning) and they resigned then due to inability to get backing to prosecute. The resignation now is not with full integrity - this is in full shame.

Menezes same, google war driving same and god knows what else that doesn't even hit the spotlight... grrr... but hey all a good laugh... NOT...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"the De Menezes investigation "

That would be the one where Andy Hayman got his wrist slapped by the Police Complaints Commission for misleading the public after the murder of JC de M.

Does that name ring any bells in connection with recent events?

It should.

Hayman was Yates' deputy in the alleged NotW/hacking "investigation" (2006?).

1. CaptainHook

Cressida Dick

Just to tie all the lose ends together.

Cressida Dick, who was in charge of the operation when De Menezes was killed is taking over Yates role in the Met, at least temporarily.

Brings it all into a nice neat circle doesn't it, and I for one certainly feel safer for it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Never expect....

The police to be accountable for their actions, they look after their own.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

Boris.

I assume he was wearing a slightly pained smile as he said that?

IIRC, the reason that Sir Paul Stevenson had the job is 'cos his predecessor (Sir Ian Blair) was knifed by, erm, Boris Johnson.

Partly because of series of high-profile cockups on his watch, like the De Menezes business for one, but mostly 'cos he was bezzie mates with Wacky Jaqui and a certain newt fancying Trot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Boris

As a Northerner I always had a little disdain for Londoners, and although I can even understand many of the arguments against Ken Livingstone (he did some good, he did some bad - you pays your money and takes your chance and all that) but voting for Boris Johnson just showed me how wrong I was about Londoners - they aren't a bit slow and comedic like I thought, they are total dickheads.

8. DF118
    Trollface

Clegg

Nice to see Cleggy boy got the afternoon off from bog seat-warming duties to stand up for his boss. Boris won't be happy at that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Resigned or early retirement?

Besides NI owe him.

He'll probably walk into a job with an NI offshoot?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

At last, the Federation speak

And no, I don't mean the Star Trek ones. Chief of the coppers union yesterday said "“I must object, on behalf of all police officers across England and Wales, to the grossly offensive and incorrect assumption that the police service suffers from widescale corruption. The British police service remains the most open, accountable and professional police force in the world and the men and women who work within it are of the utmost integrity and have every reason to be proud.”

Indeed. As Tom Robinson once sang, "The British police are the best in the world".

In the real world outside Westminster and the Met, ordinary decent working folk (in both public and private sectors) are barely permitted to accept a Christmas calendar these days for fear of the appearance of dodgy dealing. Meanwhile, the top cop in the Met apparently saw no problem in accepting £12000 of freebie.

Something a bit odd there, whatever he says, and whether or not there's a Murdoch connection. What planet are his kind of people on?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Re: What planet are his kind of people on?

It's two tier UK - the one that runs along lines of: these rules for them, no rules for us?

12. Mark 65

Police corruption

For quite some time now the police have seen themselves as exempt from the rules that apply to the rest of us. Whether it comes to accepting gifts whilst in office, powering through red lights and "accidentally" killing an innocent member of the public, hassling photographers, abusing anti-terrorism powers, or misidentifying and blowing the brains out of an electrician on the tube. Nobody is ever guilty of anything. That in itself is simply bullshit.

If the Government ever want anyone to ever have any respect for the police ever again then law-breaking and corruption need to be smashed within the forces. Kind of like a "bringing the game into disrepute" charge in sport. You cannot enforce the law whilst acting like you are above it. It does not work. A bit like the concept of investigating yourself for corruption. Whilst they're at it they can get some oversight of their own shenanigans.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

re: insisting that his "integrity" was intact.

I suppose it's as good as it ever was.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One question

If the US deiced to extradite a NoTW staff would the UK block it ? Cause US prosecutors would have no interest in shielding the MET. They would want to know every thing and what ever comes out comes out .

If they did hack into 9/11 victims phones I suggest they talk to Garry.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

If you want to know time...

... ask a policeman.

16. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Integrity?

integrity |inˈtegritē|

noun

1 the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Stephenson and Yates have their what intact? Don't make me laugh.

Perhaps they have a different meaning.

17. Sam Therapy
    Black Helicopters

Hmmm

I thought the whole thing would be played out with the minimum of fuss. A couple of token bad guys sacrificed but that would be the end of it. Now I'm not so sure.

It's one thing for cynics like us to say politicians and coppers are corrupt but it's something else entirely to see it writ large for all to see.

Senior NI bods getting their collars felt, top plods resigning and - the real game changer - a major whistle blower found dead.

Call me paranoid but the death of Sean Hoare is very convenient for a significant number of people.

18. kain preacher

@Sam

And yet they are saying his death is not suspicious. All I can think of is one of three things. The MET thinks people really are that stupid, they are use to just giving the public BS, or they think soothing is going to happen to them.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Reply: @ Sam

"The MET thinks people really are that stupid, they are use to just giving the public BS, or they think soothing is going to happen to them."

Probably all three.

I think the thought processes go something like this:

I am responsible therefore being responsible means I need no rules as, of course, I am responsibly responsible.

Therefore I am not accountable (until found with hand in till).

Many are not responsible therefore they need roolz.

20. kain preacher

oops

I meant the met thinks nothing will happen .

Ps why do cats love to jump on keyboards when you are typing.

This topic is closed for new posts.