back to article EMC intros the mini VMAX

EMC has formally launched its down-sized VMAX, the VMAXe. The system is physically smaller in size than VMAX, coming in a 19-inch rack and only needing single-phase power. It uses the VMAX architecture and software (Enginuity 5875+) and is a pre-configured hardware and software offering with optional fully-automated storage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. melt

VMAX?

I kept reading that as "VAX" and getting all excited. Bah.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Motorcycle parrallels?

Lets hope not. V-max's are notorious for being expensive, ugly, over-powered, inefficient (worse mpg than some 2.0l cars), ill-handling death traps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Yes but I want one because

(a) they're soooooo impressive

(b) I only want to ride in a straight line and

(c) they're so pig-ugly that they make even me look handsome by comparison!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

A realistic graph would look very different

The cost scale on that graph should be labelled with a logarithmic scale, with the axis starting at "Too Expensive" and going up to "Trowser Browning"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A clearer VMAX/VMAXe description

I don't think the article was clear on the VMAX/VMAXe processing configs - here's my take on it:

A Symmetrix VMAX/VMAXe director has CPU processing, memory for caching, and back-end and front-end I/O connectivity. 2 directors make up 1 engine. A VMAX can have 1-8 engines and a VMAXe can have 1-4 engines.

VMAX: 2 quad-core Intel Harperton CPUs per director for a total of 4 CPU sockets and 16 CPU cores running 16 physical threads per engine (no hyperthreading).

VMAXe: 1 quad-core Intel Westmere CPU per director for a total of 2 CPU sockets and 8 CPU cores running 8 physical threads and 16 "hyperthreads" per engine (using hyperthreading).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also...

Also I believe there are limits to SRDF and possibly Timefinder operations in the VMAXe. I also seem to recall having heard that they only let you have thin provisioning, but that may be just a default config thing.

5. Michael Duke

I have worked out the car equivalent of the VMAXe

Its like the new Rolls Royce mini, the badge and all the elements of the bigger more expensive array without the really useful bits :)

Would make a good pairing with the new mini IBM Z Series I guess.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like