back to article LG dooms then un-dooms portable games consoles

The head of LG's mobile phone division no longer thinks there's no future for handheld games consoles, it seems. Earlier today, said executive, Dr Jon-seok Park, triumphantly declared in a company statement that "the era of dedicated handheld gaming platform is over". Two hours later, the LG press release was re-issued, this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LuMan
    Stop

Not quite

The comment stated no future for 'dedicated' hand-held gaming consoles. It's not such a bad point to make - how many hand-held consoles also allow you to play media files, incorporate calendars and diaries, access the internet and use email, and enable you to use sat-nav? As more and more features get crammed into devices small enough to carry around it's only a matter of time before you can make phone calls on your hand-held gaming console..

..actually, I can do that already on my PSP via Skype.

2. M Gale

I still want to see...

...what's happening with the "Playstation Certified" thing. Will we see more phones with that moniker, and from other manufacturers than Sony?

3. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

What a plank!

Move aside you pillock, there will always be a need for people to have something to kill time. You mean every time you lot have tried it, it has failed miserably!

Believe me Mr Pillock, if you had kids and you had to sit with them at Kwik-Fit for 45 minutes while some work was done, your kids didn't have DS with them to keep them amused for 10 minutes, you'd be inside for mass-murder!

4. stucs201
    Mushroom

Am I the only one...

...who still thinks of id's classic game when they see 'doom' and 'games console' in the same sentence?

Now where's that BFG...

5. Jerome 0

Got there first?

What does it matter who got there first? If we could have gaming of a similar quality built into our phones, who'd bother to carry a separate device around?

Sadly we're not at that point yet - gaming on handsets is almost as primitive as the cameras.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Executive delusions

Not to pile on Dr. Park, whose name now gets about a gazillion non-so-flattering hits on Google, but you have to wonder if he also believes in gravity-free zones like the rest of those who live up in the rarefied air at the top of the corporate ladder.

7. MJI Silver badge

Still a place for dedicated console

Week in hospital, a PSP made it more bearable. Proper games you can spend an hour or 2 on with evening visiting (filled up during day with my wife & children) as yours came earlier.

Nice big screen proper gaming controls - makes it a more "gaming" experience

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like