back to article Microsoft strategy chief quits Redmond

Microsoft's head of strategy is stepping down from the company. Senior vice president of strategy and partnership Hank Vigil is leaving Microsoft to advise early-stage startups and focus on investing, according to All Things D. Vigil worked with Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer and the rest of the company's senior …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon 10

In other news

Another fat Asian Elvis impersonator joins the shoebox circuit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

In other news

Dude runs company down instead of driving growth gets job consulting others.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

In other news → #

He is Latino

2. Chad H.
    WTF?

Microsoft had a strategy now?

Did Balmer know about this?

1. Lance 3

Sure did

The strategy was paying other companies off.

3. alwarming
    Joke

Not to judge a book by it's cover...

And also if he made shit load of money, this guy can't be as dumb as he looks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing is

who will be able to tell?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Wow glad to see him move on - looks like he was way to good at his job.

Post anonymously? Yeah Evil Empire and so on...

6. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Nothing useful

I'm sure Microsoft has plenty of people of this sort, who do nothing useful in the software business.

7. hahnchen
    Thumb Down

Microsoft's Legal Team is in charge of strategy now

The legal team have also replaced the product development team. Why spend all that money on building new things, when you can just sue developers of successful products? Much lower overheads, and great margins too.

8. Justin Clements

Seriously?

Microsoft have had a strategy?

And not just a strategy, but a strategy team? I mean, a group of people who are working on a strategy? Real people?

If they weren't leaving then they need to be fired cause they are doing a piss poor job.

9. Peter 39

another chair

Just movin' the deckchairs.

Noting of significance will change until Ballmer is gone.

I understand that Bill is his friend, and also Chairman of the Board. But, seriously, some people on the Board have some common sense. Don't they?

I guess not. Pity :(

10. Bram

a little unfair

From what I read of this story this guy worked on the strategy which has made Office one of their biggest revenue streams and went a long way to correct the damage done with other IT companies.

The legacy he has left is one of 'lets try not to sue or get sued and see if we cant work together on problems'

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Not quite

When one leaves a legacy, it means that what the people left do is due to one's actions and influence.

Given Microsoft's legal history, Virgil leaves no legacy at all, because if his point of view was to work together without suing people, then it's one long failure.

It's a wonder he stayed there so long.

11. TheOtherHobbbes

So...

head of plinkety plonk goes to plinkety plonk ra ra ra somewhere else: more time with his stock portfolio, etc.

Maybe Ballmer hired him because he was jealous of his hair.

(Why isn't there a shrug icon?)

12. Mike 125

Hank Virgil

...is a much better name. I bet he wishes he'd thought of it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Haven't I seen this guy somewhere before?

But maybe not in Poland:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/25/microsoft-sucks-at-photoshop/

14. AB
    Mushroom

When did Elop decide to burn the platform?

"Last year, Nokia made Windows Phone its strategic smartphone operating system of choice, dumping Symbian."

No, the Elopcalypse was this year, not last year.

I know it seems impossible that one CEO could mangle so much strategy and spread so much FUD while pursuing a strategy that - to me at least - makes little or no sense, all in the space of a few months, but Elop has managed it.

To save the apologists some trouble, I should here acknowledge that Nokia management was failing at many things before Elop, but that does not reduce the significance of:

the Burning Platform memo

the 'hey, no cameras' leak of the WP7 device mere hours after the N9 announcement\

the "will we/won't we release/support our MeeGo phones properly" Helsingin Sanomat interview

any of the other stunts he has pulled.

I'm not sure he's a trojan horse (my tinfoil hat is in storage), but surely he is MS-blinkered and failing to understand the value of the assets he has/had at Nokia. You cannot force an 'ecosystem' into existence by willpower (or even M$ money). People need to want to buy what you're selling. Let's also not forget that 'ecosystem' is in any case a fantastic bullshit term which is being flung about very freely by marketing types and pitiful 'industry analysts' - who often have no idea what they're talking about and/or have commercial interests in seeing the market move one way or another.

Hang on... cancel all the above. I get it. You mean he had decided to dump Symbian and MeeGo last year (but only announced it this year?)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like