back to article Robo-troubleshooters back up London fire brigade

Perhaps somewhat tired of fighting humanity's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, combat robots are now following the path trodden by many a retiring meatsack warrior: they are joining the fire brigade. However, just as in the military, the droids tend to get used for the most dangerous jobs. In the case of the London fire brigade, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Renegades?

I suspect they are just collecting intelligence about our emergency response units.

Trust no robot!

2. michael
    Thumb Up

good privitisation

"The team is provided in support of the London fire brigade by QinetiQ"

who said no good comes form selling state secrets

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

See photo on story.

Pity they couldn't stop their special response vehicle from burning!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Talon in Picture

The picture is not of Talon.

It's Bison holding the door open and Black max with the hose.

5. dek

Sigh

sigh, sigh. It all started with that uk tv show with battling "robots" and every since any/all Radio/Remote Controlled device is called a "robot". Sigh, sigh, sigh.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

ever-predictable LP

can't even keep his kneejerk antimilitary bias from showing on what can be a very effective and promising civil technology application. He can't rant about the tech so manages to appease his masters with some political statement on what he remembers as the first deployment of these devices, in combat. of course completely missing the fact the technology was already tested and deployed in civilian police forces for bomb disposal-the same field LP claims to have experience in.

An order of technology review without the drooling masturbatory leftist critique to go, please! It's starting to smell a lot like Slashdot in here.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Rogues

When they go rogue, will they simply sound an all clear when the tank is still dangerously hot?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Rogues

That, and the digger-bot will push the tank down the stairs towards the fleshoids below.

I for one welcome our new hose-equipped robotic overlords

9. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@@Rogues

Anonymous Coward, I love you, will you marry me? Or is that incest?

10. Jim Lewis
    Joke

ROTM

Do you reckon these fireman robots all have 'other' jobs, like housemoving etc?

This topic is closed for new posts.