back to article Nissan backs off from Goodwood reverse-race car stunt

Organisers of the Goodwood Festival of Speed have stopped Nissan's attempt to drive one of its jalopies up the Hill Climb course backwards. The Japanese manufacturer did manage to send a stuntman in a Nissan up the track on two wheels. But organisers put the kybosh on the reverse attempt on safety grounds. The idea – which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Death_Ninja
    FAIL

Leave the motorsport news for a proper motorsport site...

Festival of Speed is not held on the Goodwood race circuit... the Revival is, but not FOS.

1. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Leave the motorsport news for a proper motorsport site...

you might want to re-read John's article...

1. Death_Ninja

read it again...

Ahhh yes, now it does indeed have the correct information

2. Graham Marsden
        Thumb Up

Welcome...

... to the new Moderatrix! :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

A solution

Use a Messerschmitt bubble car; by choosing which way you made the engine run, you could have either 4 forward gear or 4 reverse gears. ie technically as fast backwards as going forwards (corners excluded). Everyone's a winner. Apart from the bored spectators...

oh, and welcome Jude....

1. John Sturdy

Also, the Austin Champ

The Austin Champ also had a reversing mechanism separate from the gearbox, and could do equal speeds in either directions. I know someone who's taken on flat out in top reverse (on a disused airfield runway).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Faster

Several motorcycle engined cars have a reverser built into the transmission because the donor motorcycle doesn't. The upshot of which is that you get reverse with all the gears on many of them.

A blown Hayabusa in a 500kg sports car? A damn sight faster than 90mph, methinks.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Flat out?

Doesn't the differential fail before that?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Isendel Steel
      Stop

Because....

He's already driving in reverse ?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Alert

Re: Spectrum is Green.

I always thought that there was one thing about those SPVs that was highly inaccurate.

Every time the doors opened on one after a drive with a couple of occupants, a lake of fresh vomit should have drained out of it.....

4. MJI Silver badge
    WTF?

A Leaf!!

How boring

GT-R or 370Z please

1. Scarborough Dave
      Pint

I test drove a Leaf

According to the customer relations man (sales man to you and me) it can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, if all restrictions on the engine etc.. are lifted, though the batteries might on last a couple of minutes (or explode??).

I have been looking for a citation for this, but still haven't found one, though might be fun to watch on "Pimp my Ride"

Cheers!

PS Hello Jude and welcome! :)

1. Stephen Gray

Electric can be quick

It's not a Leaf, just an old steel Datsun :) http://vimeo.com/19651664

5. John Gamble
    Go

As the Song Goes

"Sometimes it's a blessing,

Sometimes It's a curse.

I always drive in reverse."

Pat McCurdy

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGa-xDP8SXE>

6. ukgnome
    IT Angle

would this......

make you exempt from the congestion charge?

7. Andy Lawton

It was a Juke that went up on two wheels

The Nissan that went up the whole course on two wheels was a Juke - just in case the impression was gained that it was a Leaf that did it. I watched it - a remarkable piece of driving!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Swift

Was it Swifty by any chance?

8. Peter Clarke 1
    Coat

Waiting for ...

.... the 'faster in reverse' comments about Italian military vehicles. Or were they banned at the same time as Irish jokes?

9. Manolo
    Pint

DAF Variomatic

The old Dutch DAF automobiles with Variomatic Continuously Variable Transmission

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission)

could go as fast backwards as forwards. This gave rise to some of the wackiest television ever to be broadcasted in The Netherlands: reverse DAF racing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ipFApsFec

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@Manolo

Sounds like a FAD to me

10. Ivan Headache
    Happy

When I were a lad

we had a 2-stroke SAAB 96.

It was a fabulous car but it had one big issue. You never knew for certain which way the engine was running! The number of times I engaged 1st and shot off backwards, I'm amazed I didn't kill myself - especially on the 3rd floor of the multstory in Scunthorpe.

11. jake Silver badge

I have a couple old boat engines that run in reverse[1] ...

... Well, forward & reverse are the same, as far as they are concerned.

Only problem is that once you are going forward, you have to stop the engine, shift the camshaft, and then restart the thing spinning in the other direction ... One's a 10-ton Buda straight eight that is currently looking for a tugboat for me to restore; the other is a four ton Atlas Imperial that powers a late-1920s 45 foot cocktail cruiser ... Fun toys, if you're not afraid of getting grease under your fingernails :-)

[1] I have several boats with counter-rotating engines, which is a completely different concept.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

If the challenge lies in the back-wheel steering...

I suggest trying the uphill climbing race in a no-suspension back-steering gas powered Hyster 7- tonnes forklift.

For clarification, this thing has all the handling characteristics of a shopping cart driven backwards, (while going forward, because the rear wheels are doing all the steering), the center of gravity is somewhere above the height of your head (assuming you are smaller than 210cm), and the complete lack of suspension, except for tire's pressure, make it as stable as jello in an earthquake. The only good thing of it being like what it is, it can do 180º turns in a single lane, since the tiny wheels can almost turn sideways.

Now I call that skilled driving if someone manages to pull that off, while driving above 50mph. Hell, even 20mph can prove challenging, if the road isn't anything but silk-smooth.

And it can drive backwards pretty fast too. Well, faster than anyone had the guts to do it, while loaded, inside a warehouse, anyways...

13. Dave 15

health and safety

Yet again some idiot can't judge what is safe or not. A car on 2 wheels is safe, a car going backwards isn't , come on, be sensible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

on 2 wheels...

Is a car on 2 wheels as safe as a motorcycle? Now that is a tricky question...

This topic is closed for new posts.