back to article BBC mulls talent Twitter ban to prevent storyline spoilers

A ban on the use of Twitter and other public forums is being considered by BBC bosses, in an effort to prevent stars and writers from talking about details of the broadcaster's confidential upcoming productions online. The Guardian, which cites senior sources, reports that BBC execs are mulling over the possibility of tweaking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely the first response

would be to blacklist anyone blabbing secrets so they get no further work from the Beeb?

1. david bates
      Thumb Up

In that case...

The loss of Stephen Fry will leave a gaping (and blessed) hole in the schedules...

1. Richard Taylor 2
        Thumb Up

oh gawd

blessed does not encompass the relief...

2. mafoo
      Joke

or...

or give Sophie Ellis-Bextor a Police record....

de dum cha.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Avoid at all costs.

"Singer Sophie Ellis-Bextor recently let slip on Twitter that she would appear alongside Sting in a new BBC comedy series fronted by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant called Life's Too Short."

I very much appreciate her warning and will be keeping well clear.

1. QuiteEvilGraham
      Stop

Yup!

Life is definitely too short to watch these unfunny twats.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The real reason the BBC want this

is so we can't avoid some of the shit they peddle.

Sophie Ellis Bextor and Sting in a comedy with Ricky Gervais ? Reminds me, haven't washed my hair for a while.

1. Richard 120
      Flame

similar

Reminds me I haven't slashed my wrists in a while

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: similar

Shame. They've scheduled it opposite: "Colourful coverings - a detailed look at the curing processes of decorative liquid surface treatments" on the Discovery Channel. No competition really.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed - this is a useful warning system

Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Sting, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant? It's like the Four Horsemen of the Broadcasting Apocalypse.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Twitter...

...how about the Beeb stop bloody mentioning tweeter / facebook every 5 minutes on their radio shows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Not just the radio

They do it on programmes too. I actually complained about them giving so much free advertising to them when their mandate supposedly prevents it and the response I got was that they were unaware that they were giving them advertising and so didn't have to do anything about it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also on their TV shows

The BBC should be promoting open internet communication, not these two American corporations.

Stick to email and WWW please.

3. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

Couldn't agree more

Advertising these commercial services incessantly is a particularly egregious abuse of license payers' money.

5. Gav
    Go

Sting/Ellis Bextor

Sounds like a winning combination of the gritty social concerns of "Murder on the dawnce floor" mixed with the laughs of "Dune". It can't miss!

6. 7mark7
    Facepalm

The BBC.

Isn't that the organisation that covers it's web-site with links to twitter so you can twit about it's programmes?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple solution

If stars want to use twitter, they must make three bad jokes per day about imaginary projects at the beeb. Then if they let a real one slip who'll know?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simple solution

"If stars want to use twitter, they must make three jokes per day about imaginary bad projects at the beeb. Then if they let a real one slip who'll know?"

There - fixed it for you.

2. dave 46

It's obvious

If they could come up with 3 laughably bad shows a day they'd be in charge of light entertainment not parading in front of the camera.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

The BBC is already years ahead of it's quota for producing laughably bad shows ...

Though they could throw in a few daft ones...

Strictly Sharia - where the audience phone in to determine which parts get lopped off which body....I can think of a couple of people I'd like to see as contestants there....

Taliban X Factor - where each Terry has five minutes to demonstrate their individual talents

Footballer and Actor Whodunnit? - where the studio audience tries to determine which footballer has had relations with which skank and how much cash changed hands,with your genial host Max Clifford.

Super Injunction - where the six celebrites in the panel dance round the subject without revealing names..a kind of 'whats my line' show but with more lawyers.

Anything with Jordan - a new dating show, like Mr & Mrs but no longer than 24 hours duration.

A return of Professor Brian Cox and his Orchestra performing hits from such timeless classics as 'slap my beeyatch cap in do ass' and other Transatlantic favourites.

8. Danny 14
    Trollface

yup

how about a ban on twitter because its annoying?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Contracts?

Shirley the Beeb have it written into the talent's contracts that they are not allowed to blab ahead of PR announcements? If they do then it shouldn't be a problem, if they blab the Beeb should sue them. If OTOH the Beeb don't have this stuff already written into the contracts then it needs fixing.

Changing the contracts to ban talent from using twitter, etc. is half arsed since it doesn't stop them from telling a friend who then tweets it or just plain blabs to the press. A contractual obligation to discuss it with nobody until the beeb allows it would make much more sense. OTOH it wouldn't have got the Grauniad a headline involving the word Twitter.

1. Annihilator
      WTF?

NDA

Completely agree - surely a non-disclosure agreement is one of the first things you'd want to be writing into contracts? And what the f*&^ has Twitter/FB got to do with it? Surely newspaper interviews et al have the same potential for spoiler alerts.

10. BristolBachelor Gold badge

And managers too?

"The Grauniad, which cites senior sources, reports that BBC execs are... "

So the execs can't keep their mouths shut either? Or is it OK if you have a key to the room with gold toilets?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Toilets?

They don't need toilets - have you not seen The Human Centipede?

11. mafoo
    Coat

well

"The BBC is not banning the use of Twitter by talent or writers."

Unless your Jason Manford that is...

1. NogginTheNog
      Stop

Except...

...Jason Manford is stretching the accepted meaning of the words talent and writer.

12. Graham Marsden
    FAIL

Pots and kettles come to mind...

... given the way the BBC manage to spoil upcoming drama with trailers that give away big plot points or the return of the Cybermen in Doctor Who by putting a bloody Cyberman on the front cover of the Radio Times...!!!

13. XMAN

Radio 1

i guess this explains why Chris Moyles made a joke on the radio 1 show this morning about not being allowed to mention twitter.

14. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Ahhh...

So this is why no one is saying who the new Stig is... Drat...

15. Richard Porter
    FAIL

Making a big splash?

You mean trailing the programme ad nausiam for a fortnight before it goes out.

16. disgruntled yank

Misleading headline

You mentioned "talent".

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Simple ...

... no second series for any show with gobby actors.

18. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Sophie Ellis-Bextor...

...a singer? Which day was that, then?

Singer is that last thing I'd describe that old rhomboid face as being.......

19. Graham Bartlett

A solution

You let it slip on Twitter, you get replaced. Job done.

Let's be honest, which of Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Sting, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant can you not do without? Sting at least has some musical talent, but he's no actor. And the other three would have problems talenting their way out of a wet paper bag - can't sing, can't act, can't dance and can't write.

I really have problems understanding why the BBC hires the people it does. "The Office" would have been a moderately funny one-hour stand-alone show. As a series, it sucked donkey balls - and everything Gervais has done since has been immeasurably worse. But they still keep paying him to do stuff! Then there's Russell Brand, the antidote to comedy - even if he's given a funny line, he'll make it awful. And Chris Moyles, the reason Radio 1 listening figures take a nosedive weekday mornings. And Jonathan Ross, the reason Radio 2 listening figures take a nosedive weekend afternoons. Being an boring, arrogant arsehole doesn't somehow make you "edgy".

20. thegladfan
    WTF?

Free advertising is not a bad thing

Rather than see this as a bad thing the BBC (which is not funded by advertising) should embrace social networking and use it as an unofficial method of advertising things.

The fact that celebrities have litterally millions of followers should be a great source of viewers, the bbc cant advertise like other channels do, they cant justify spending the licence payers money. So rather than banning social networking just issue some guidelines so not to spoil viewing pleasure.

I dont want to know the script but if i know someone is doing a new show im more likely to watch it if its on twitter these days.

Come on bbc embrace dont scold

21. asiaseen

Having never heard of the woman,

I checked her website and now shall consign her to my dustbin of history.

22. 9538
    Happy

twit

very interesting

23. Lamont Cranston

I'd like plenty of advance warning

of anything featuring Ms. Bextor, Messers Gervais & Merchant, and Sting.

Would anyone like to buy my TV?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like