back to article Wiltshire Council on its Windows 7 roll-out

Amalgamation of four separate authorities, 270 offices that needed to be reduced into four hubs and 70 outlying offices, and many constraints including a host of governmental regulations, were among the challenges facing Wiltshire Council as it planned to roll out Microsoft Windows 7, which was at the core of its workplace …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mfraz
    WTF?

Saving?

How can they say that "saving of some £85 million over 25 years" when they'll have to go through the same process and spend more money when the next version of Windows comes out and the next etc?

2. rodtrent
    Thumb Up

Re: Wiltshire Council on its Windows 7 roll-out

A lot of our customers find that combining Shopping and Nomad result in the easiest, most cost-effective Windows 7 rollout available:

http://www.1e.com/consultancy/desktopsuccess/index.aspx

3. Mike 137 Silver badge
    Stop

What was the project really?

"Amalgamation of four separate authorities, 270 offices ... reduced into four hubs..." Was this primarily a Windows 7 rollout, or a business restructuring with Windows 7 thrown in? I think the distinction is critical to the argument for its results. Can it really be said that moving to Windows 7 per se will save "some £85 million over 25 years" as mfraz has queried, or is it the reduction of an excessively complex business structure to something more practicable that might achieve this? Why should Microsoft get the credit for a business rationalisation programme undertaken by Wiltshire County Council?

1. mrweekender
      FAIL

I have to agree...

...this whole article just sounds extremely biased, essentially just a blatant advert for Microsoft and Windows 7.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the costs. Further to that, I'd like to see how much all UK councils are paying Microsoft for licenses per annum.

4. James Pickett

Saving

"saving of some £85 million over 25 years"

Is that the discount they got for threatening to use Linux?

If they saved that much, what did it actually cost (as I ask my wife when she returns from the Sales)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like