back to article PS3 hacker Hotz accepts job at Facebook

Facebook has reportedly hired George Hotz, the hacker best known for defeating the security measures of iPhones and PS3 consoles. Hotz, 21, was the first to develop software that unlocked the iPhone before jailbreaking the PlayStation 3 console. Sony infamously sued Hotz over the hack, a decision that provoked the wrath of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Title?

Sounds a like a big PR stunt by Zuckerberg and crew, no ill towards Mr Hotz, we've all got to make a living but he seems talented enough to be more useful doing something else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree.

The sort of hacking that Mr Hotz does is very much more OS based rather than Web based. (And they have differing skillsets.)

Of course, this guy seems smart enough to be able to transition without too much difficulty.

1. Elmer Phud

Reluctant 'friends'

I guess Facebook has to try some way to stop people from witholding personal info on thier profiles. How are the poor things supposed to make money if they can't target adverts in the right direction.?

New scare - Facebook to try and lift history and cookies files from browsers?

(yeah, what the hell are adverts on Facebook when you've got AdBlock)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Childcatcher

Re: Agree

according to the guy's page on wikipedia, he does have some other talents. If the page is to be believed, he even earned a scholarship from Intel!

the guy might be too smart to be left alone, and just in need to some direction.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"wrath of [both] mainstream gamers"

really? gamers gave a damn about OtherOS? The only reason Sony was/is able to get away with removing the OtherOS feature is because "mainstream gamers" never cared about it in the first place!

if anything, hanging around gaming forums shows that many gamers hate this guy and many blame him for the PSN outage. Many _wrongly_ believe that he hacked the PSN himself, while other blame him since the hacking attack started in his honer!

3. nemo20000
    Mushroom

...with frikkin lasers

Because FB wasn’t evil enough already?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Devil

What a shame

To have shown so much promise, only to end up Facebooked.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

coders have to eat...

.....Biiittch!

Seriously, I don't blame him. If I had anything to say, I would say he could have chosen better. I just hope they're paying him enough. Good luck, but don't forget where you came from.

5. Ian McNee
    Flame

Farcebook is in a relationship with $0wny and Apple...

...it's complicated. Not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Newsflash -- Facebook has Hotz for Ipad

I'm going.........

7. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Keep a tight lead

Leopards and spots.

8. Wang N Staines

Has enough to eat

He still lives with his parents.

9. XMAN
    Thumb Down

That's me done then.

If this turns out to be true, i'll be one of the first to close my Facebook account.

10. technocrat
    Stop

hmmm

bit of misreporting going on here surely? he wasnt the first to hack the ps3, didnt he use the existing usb hack which was developed by psjailbreak and merely released the hex code from the said hack?

Not saying the guy isnt talented but lets get the reporting correct...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what a waste :(

practical, demonstrated skills for a company that delivers nothing practical, and denies any sort of innovation.

What's he gonna do. find a way to make facebook application code *not* suck? Or fix the privacy problems which are actually FB's primary reason for existence?

hell, I'd even rather see him with Google than facebook..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like