back to article Dungeon Siege III

Recently, I battled through Dragon Age 2, Two Worlds II and spent some serious time immersed in Witcher 2. Now here comes Dragon Siege III. All these sequels - summer must have come early, I thought. Dungeon Siege III Learn the mechanics As back-stories go this is run-of-the-mill stuff with more than a few of the customary …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NomNomNom

RPGs...

these modern RPGs suck balls. They should get back to 2D. start over. I just want to explore environments, meet strange creatures and smash their faces with a hammer, and adorn my character with armor and jewels and crap. Stealing stuff and burning down villages is fun too.

I don't want to save a kingdom or talk to overly designed 3D characters with voice synced lips with storylines from kids TV.

How can you make an RPG that I find boring? Amazingly these big companies manage to do it again and again and again.

1. Ian Yates

Torment

Where's the next PlaneScape?! There was so much room to explore more parts of that universe with different storylines.

Hell, I'd pay for a higher-res version of PS:T that ran properly on W7. Assuming I had enough time to sink in to it

1. Dotter
        Thumb Up

gog.com

Check out gog.com, they sell an optimised version of PS:T that should work with Win 7.

Now, if only someone made a (good) sequel to that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@NomNomNom

I have enjoyed some of the recent RPGs (notably Fallout3), but I think the RPG pinnacle was Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

I am still waiting for a new RPG that is even close to those for sheer playability and enjoyment.

1. Z 1
        Thumb Up

Upvote for you

Though I do have to mention Daggerfall. Not a pinacle in the same vein as Baldur's Gate, but a real enjoyable (though extremely buggy) game that kept me hooked through the mid 90's!

2. Thomas 18
    Unhappy

aw man!

60%? I really wanted this game to be good. Dungeon siege 2 was awesome, just different enough from diablo.

3. Juillen 1
    Alert

Story..

Story is usually the mainstay of any RPG (I was actually fond of the storylines in Guild Wars; I largely chose to play it as a single player RPG with henchmen).

DS3 was lacklustre in this, though not offensively so. An innocuous storyline of "fight the evil/misguided person"; you know what you're getting early on.

Then comes the ability to configure it to your play style. It tanked hard on that (no ability to remap keys.. In this day and age? You're kidding right??)..

Saving: This game uses Save Points.. You what? Really?? This is an evil spawn of the days when there weren't the resources to have regular saves when you thought you needed them (i.e. someone turned up at your door inviting you out for a beer; you don't want to have to say "Hang on for 20 minutes while I find a save point for my game").

Graphically.. About 5 years behind the curve. It's pedestrian at best, but hey, that's the icing on the cake stuff.. I can live with that as long as story, configuration comfort and the rest live up (which they don't).

Definitely agree that the looting is just rubbish. There's not the diversity of the high end gear (is there really any high end gear apart from the last purchase point, and to be honest, that's not that great).

It's a braincandy game that's not truly offensive (apart from the consolitis of the save points and lack of key binding config), but definitely not worth the "new game" price. Pitched at around £15, it'd be a fair(ish) deal, but at around £30? Not really.

4. Pooka
    Thumb Up

See...

I actually quiet liked it - reminded me completely of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Sometimes I don't want long and complex story, I just want to run around and kill things wrapped up in a vague storyline. If I want a proper story I've got a mountain of real RPGs to play (The Witcher 2 is currently in my PC, but I've got a whole heap more than that....)

Now all I want is Bioware to do Jade Empire 2.....

1. noboard
      Thumb Up

I'm with you

I've been playing this game for a good few days now. It's not the greatest game ever, but as a simple action adventure game it's really enjoyable. I found DS2 a real chore, as I was tired of the locations (Forrest, mine, caves etc) but this hasn't bored me once as may brain isn't overly involved.

Forget the RPG side and get it if you like Dark Alliance type hack and slash.

5. John King 1

Dark Omen

The last good fantasy RPG I played was Warhammer: Dark Omen. Anybody know of something similar that's come out over the last 10 years?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ian Yates

"Hell, I'd pay for a higher-res version of PS:T that ran properly on W7. Assuming I had enough time to sink in to it"

Ask and ye shall receive: www.goodoldgames.com is selling lots of old games that they've modified to work on the latest versions of windows, with a heavy emphasis on RPGs - Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, Ultima underworld 1 & 2, Fallout 1 & 2, etc. All of the above are <$10, and you just download them (no DRM). The old Bioware games have an enthusiastic modding community that is still active, fixing bugs, adding fan content (if you like that sort of thing), and one of the mods gets the games running at modern screen resolutions.

I'm not going to be buying any new games for a couple of years, I reckon.

1. Marky W
      Megaphone

Hah! I laugh at your RPGs

Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus on GOG. £5 a pop.

Unbeatably awesome value, and still fricking hilarious to play. Go on, you know you want to...

7. Richard Wharram

Title

I still have Diablo II until Diablo III comes out thanks.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well someone's got to ask...

" always wore that tasteless lingerie my ex bought me."

Just exactly how tasteless??

1. MarkyG
      Gimp

AC PS3 fanboy needs 'em

Lucy, send 'em to the AC Sony fanboy commentard - we all know who - who has nothing to say except how good Sony/PS3/PSP/Blu-ray games/films etc are, and how bloody awful XBOX/Apple/iPad/iPhone/Dell/Acer et al are.

I suspect it's long past the time he should have had some feminine contact. But maybe his mum won't let him

9. DeVino
    Happy

I remember DS1 being fun, busy but a bit linear too.

Sounds like it might be worth buying when the budget version comes out.

PS

Gamer with sense of humour and lingerie? Lucy will you marry me ? 8o)

10. cloudgazer

What no keyboard mapping?

Do not buy this game for PC unless you have an xbox controller handy, at least not until they patch it to support keyboard remapping - because right now it's hardwired int o one of the stupidest control mechanisms I've ever seen inflicted on a PC. There are 20 pages of complaints about it on steam forums.

11. Heff
    Unhappy

Dragon Siege 3?

its not a spiritual, or real successor to either of the Gas Powered Games wonders. the control on PC are ghastly, and the casual/frenetic combat style has been replaced by a horrible kludged together and unresponsive pseudo-tactical farce.

If you didnt like dungeo- sorry dragon siege 2, and you thought the features that set it apart from the other RPGs of its time were annoying and distracting, then this is the game for you' in short, its all the features that could be regarded as annoying and distracting, ported to a new game.

Space Siege followed by this? and Supreme commander 2. Oy. Gas Powered Games, how you have fallen, how your mighty works lay prone, etc etc :(

12. Karl 14

Dungeon Master

DM on the Atari ST was and still is one of the greatest RPG's, has anything else come close yet?

13. Rick Brasche

played the demo, was a bit put off

camera control seemed all over the place. I spent more time dealing with my POV than I did fighting, with the camera refusing to follow the character automatically in any useful fashion. Couldn't get into enjoying the game with all the camera wrestling.

14. Kyzeru

/sadpants

Ugh...Obsidian. They really need to just need to be stopped from making/contributing to games. KOTOR 2 was terribad, New Vegas had so many issues it broke my heart (despite my love for the Fallout franchise), and this doesn't look any better.... Bring back Looking Glass, New World Computing...hell bring back the guys who did the ORIGINAL AD&D Gold Box Games...(Pools, Curse, Secrets, etc)...

Show these young'uns a thing or two while we consume, with great zeal, the corpse of Obsidian over a rousing playthrough of Hillsfar.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like