back to article Seagate gets a disk into Archos HD vid tablet

The Archos tablet has gone for a spin, being the world's first tablet computer to use a disk drive instead of flash memory. Seagate's single platter Momentus Thin is the lucky spinner. Archos OMAP 4 processor with an ARM Cortex dual-core A9 running at 1.5 GHz, using Android 3.1 "Honeycomb", and a 250GB version of Seagate's 2.5 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll look forward to the comparison tests

in which battery life and performance after being dropped on the floor are compared to a flash-based tablet

1. James Hughes 1

Drop testing

I think that performance issue will be the least of the problems if you drop any of the current drop of tablets on a hard floor - SSD or not.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Archos already has a tabled with a Hard Disk

Archos 70 250GB.

The new ones will be better but it's not the first with a drive.

3. Troy Peterson
    Stop

Not the first

"The Archos tablet has gone for a spin, being the world's first tablet computer to use a disk drive instead of flash memory. Seagate's single platter Momentus Thin is the lucky spinner."

I disagree.

My Kalador tablet (386 DX) from about 1994 has a 20meg hard drive.

My Fujitsu Stylus 1000 has a 340 meg hard drive (http://gigaom.com/mobile/the_first_8_inc/)

My Compaq concerto has a 40meg hard drive (I think...)

4. Jolyon Ralph

iPad drop tests

I have had occasion several times over the last year to perform ad-hoc drop tests on my iPad, and despite it flying out of my hands and landing in the most awkward ways several times, it has yet to suffer any permanent damage (although my nerves have suffered more than once). It does have a cheap third-party leather case, which helps of course. I'm not sure putting an HD into a tablet is a wise move though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I dropped my Archos 70 onto a concrete floor

Survived it, without any protective case. Weighing only 230g probably helps.

5. jai

user replaceable?

Is the drive user replaceable? For after it goes farming and gouges a groove right through all your data?

6. Mage Silver badge

Power consumption

Such a HDD isn't much difference to same storage of SSD in power consumption. Nor is dropping it an issue if designed properly (screen more at risk).

Archos been doing disk & non-disk versions of same tablet for years. A605 is SD version and also 160Gbyte 2.5" HDD version with no SD slot.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Horses for courses

That level of storage might just be the thing that sees me buy a tablet, can generate an awfuly large amount of data with three cameras on a wildlife photo shoot.

As for dropping it, why would I do that? Though it wouldn't hurt to put a neck/wrist strap mount on these things for the more clumsy types out there.

8. Robert E A Harvey

Better pricing

These prices seem far less greedy than HP, Samsung, etc,

Might go and have a look.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the world's first tablet computer to use a disk drive instead of flash memory"

I do not believe that at all. Surely prior tablets have had hard disks? Including the one I built myself by taking the screen off a laptop and putting it back on backwards.

10. Alan Denman

Wot no cloud?

So why use a hard drive when we can all buy some 'pork pie in the sky'?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like