back to article Sega celebrates two decades of Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog is twenty years old today, raise your glasses and salute. Sega introduced Sonic in the early nineties to rival Nintendo's cash-cow Mario and improve sales of the company's waning console, the Mega Drive. Sonic the Hedgehog Until Sonic hit the scene, Alex Kidd was top bill at Sega and let's face it, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DarkWhite
    Facepalm

Always annoyed me

Its Alex Kidd, not Alex the Kidd

2. Microchip
    Happy

The level select code...

... wasn't it up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, ABC+start?

Well, that's how I always did it anyway...

Points for anyone who can remember the sound test codes on Sonic 2... I seem to remember the beginning was 19, 65...

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: The level select code...

Yeah you're probably right. I had it on the Master System in 91/92, so the code was different.

1. Microchip

Ahhh...

I did have the original Sonic on the Master System too... and Sonic Chaos, later on. Didn't realise the level select worked for that too... would have saved a good few hours replaying the game to get back to where I was after the parental units turned it off on me!

Ahh, back when games were harsh, and they took months to complete, because there were no saves, and there was no nice easy continues... when you were dead, you were dead, and completing a game was a real achievement...

2. Xander

Sonic 2

19 65 09 17

Double Word Score if anyone can remember the debug mode code though...

3. Xander
      Happy

Cheats

No C and that was to enable debug mode.

up down left right hold down button a press start was level select.

UDLR is still how I remember left/right when my brain fails.

4. Gaz Jay
      Thumb Up

Etched into memory!

The level select for STH2 was 19,65,9,17

The "constructor" code (or debug mode code) was basically the release date for Sonic2 1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4.

There were ones to get Super Sonic and other things too if I remember correctly.

5. Annihilator
      Go

I knew..

Up, Down, Left, Right, Hold A, Start. Made the "ring collect" chime.

The Golden Sonic code (in Sonic 2) was my fav though - 4, 1, 2, 6 I believe?

1. M Gale

Dirty Cheaters!

And if Sonic 3's annoyingly difficult level select was proving annoying, you could try this:

Start Sonic 2 up.

Enable level select + whatever else.

Rip the cart out.

Insert Sonic 3.

Press reset.

Tada, Sonic 3 with cheats enabled. Well, presuming you didn't blow the Megadrive up, though I never did manage to break anything by ripping a cart out. I discovered this way before the official cheat was discovered, and most miffed that magazines wouldn't print it. Tsh, liability issues. Wimps!

6. RAMChYLD
      Thumb Up

Sonic 2 sound test code

19 65 09 17, then exit the screen (do not reset) and hold A while pressing start If I recall correctly. Man, those were the days.

3. Greg J Preece

20 years since he started

And 10 since his games were any good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Aye to that.

And it's been less than a year since his games were good again.

Those 3D Sonic games only aggravated my fear of heights, if anything. Forget 3D, 2D platformers rocked and still rocks.

1. Greg J Preece

Are you referring to Sonic 4?

Also known as Exactly The Same Game As Sonic 2?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Without Googling...

I believe the Sonic 2 level select cheat was 19, 65, 09, 09 and 17. Correct mr if I'm wrong. The Sonic 1 level select was up, down, left, right, ABC+Start. Unless you wanted to access debug mode, then it was up, C, down, C, left, C, right, C, A+Start. That also unlocked the ability to perform a soft reset by pausing and pressing A. Good times!

Happy Birthday Sonic!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

SEEE-GAAA

*dun dun dun-dun, dun dun dun dun-dun dun*

TIme to dig out my old Gamegear, but which to play, 1, 2, chaos, labryinth, spinball or triple trouble?

6. heyrick Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sonic is 20...

...and suddenly I feel really *old*.

1. Captain Scarlet

I agree

2D for the win

2. Suburban Inmate
      Windows

Old indeed.

That makes two of us mate!

As it happens I ordered a gamepad from eBuyer this morning for running emulators and the odd platformer.

I might as well hit the booze again, at 28 it's not like I have to worry about long term consequences. The consultant said my liver had about 2 years left in it.

3. John 62
      Meh

it's worse than that

I don't mind Sonic being 20, but Caleb Cox was only 8 when he was playing the first game. That makes me feel old!

[where's the greybeard icon?]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drinking the blue kool aid

Sonic was an entirely closed system. The parts that gave the opinion of most speed often reduced the players control to the occasional button jab.

Compare this to the open platform game that was mario. You could literally climb out of the playing area.

Sonic was a prime example of shiny good looks. Trainers, spiky hair, ' tude over sturdy functional dungarees and hard work.

Mario was an engineer. Sonic worked in marketing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No...

Mario was an Itallian plumber, who could admittedly, fly.

Sonic was the sort of guy that you'd see cruising round the M25 looking for a rave. He could have been your mate, at least until the Es wore off in the morning...

Not that there were two influences on my life at the time...

2. Greg J Preece

While I don't entirely agree

While I don't entirely agree - part of the rush of Sonic was the sheer speed and testing your reactions - I did feel sorry for the artists working on Sonic Adventure 1. All that effort put into making their 3D levels pretty to look at, all that detail, and you scream past it at 300mph.

3. M Gale

Mmm, I likes me that blue kool aid

Two different games really. Mario was a traditional platformer, with puzzle and exploration elements.

Sonic on the other hand, while it had exploration elements, was more of a racing game. Asides the collection of Chaos Emeralds, the whole point of Sonic was to see how fast you could do a level. If you were skilled at the game, it was entirely possible to complete some levels in mere seconds. However you had to know exactly when to jump, where to land for the next jump, how to land so you rolled perfectly down a slope or hit a spring in just the right place...

Yeah. Two different games. You might as well compare Zelda to Virtua Racing.

8. Rich 30

Sonic Adventure...

I liked Sonic Adventure. A lot.

Am i alone?

Vote with your thumbs....

9. b166er

Ah yes but, doody

Sonic got the girls interested and that helped secure the game consoles place under the telly!

Don't get me wrong, Mario is waaaaay better, but Sonic was a blast and chicks dig him.

10. Trevor 3
    Thumb Up

Sonic 3 cheat

Who ever managed to get that button combo in before Sonic got to the island?

I blame Tails, he never flew that plane properly....

1. M Gale

Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up (and an Up to be sure)

You were supposed to do it before the screen flashed white, as Sonic was barrelling toward the screen and busting the Sega logo all over the place. Still damned tricky though, hence my other post here on how to cheat at enabling the cheat!

Also Sonic & Knuckles + any random game = fun.

11. MJI Silver badge

Seen a few Sonic games

Range from good to terrible.

The old Mega Drive games were pretty good, but VERY difficult.

Dreamcast game was OK (Sonic Adventures)

Started the rot on the PS2 ones (Sonic Heroes is OK, there is another but can't remember what it was called)

There is a really naff PS3 game my boys like (Sonic Unleashed) and one part is press a button 100 times in something like 20 seconds.

12. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

Those were the days...

... back when games were just about fun, rather than these super-immersive, high-definition, hundred-developer-team monstrosities that you have to give your undivided attention to for hours on end in order to even stand a chance of playing, let alone winning.

Sega have realised this - hence why Sonic 4 is a return to the roots of the game.

Long live the 2D action platformer!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like