back to article Endeavour commander Mark Kelly quits NASA

Mark Kelly, the veteran combat pilot and astronaut, has announced he's retiring from the US Navy and quitting NASA on 1 October. Mark Kelly. Pic: Facebook In an announcement on his Facebook page, Kelly admits it was "not an easy decision" to move on from a career which has encompassed Desert Storm combat missions and four …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dom 3

It'd be a long wait for another flight.

I count 63 astronauts on NASA's roster. There's (roughly) three berths at a time for USAnians on the ISS. And the pilot astronauts are unlikely to be first choice.

1. Alan Firminger

Yes

So he will lose a lot of golf.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

God Speed Mark Kelly

I hope that your wife continues to improve and that you can take some time to enjoy the calmer side of life. Best wishes!

3. Ryan 7

Call me cynical, but...

Surely with the Shuttle Program coming to an end, there'll be nowt for him to do at NASA anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

OK: You're cynical.

Come on Ryan 7, cut the guy some slack. His wife nearly had her head blown off by some nut and maybe he's realised what's important in life.

"Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen". I'll drink to that.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Marcus Aurelius
    Devil

NASA - Need Another Space Aircraft?

Its probably a good time to leave - he'd have a better chance of flying into space with SpaceX or Virgin Galactic

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

^~/Ω\ :> (~() is that enough characters god hates titles

Maybe Commander Kelly just duznawanna work for the jobs;nut;gun,naval anymore. Gabrielle's trial and all that. Could we hope that his appeal in zero-gravitation to one nation for imagination inspires not propogation of inclination for de*tornations, perpetuation causing consternation throughout creation. ? " 7-bil lion one nation magi nation it's_A_beau tiful day " " I'm looking forward to coming home, tell my wife I love her " " She Knows " Thanx Major Tom.*like the w in $ankers(bankers) watchufinck ? could be "s"?. rem"r" hi DJ!! !! luvv yaz anyway ! who'se writing this ?and how do i get in touch with the bloke with the leather gear ?This is a work of fiction.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Roger that, Houston

we have a "GO" for Announce Candidacy for Political Office.

which could be a very good thing. Less lawyers, more warriors in charge please!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like