back to article T-Mobile wins right to end sale of unlocked iPhones

France is now the only country on the planet where you can buy - legally - an unlocked iPhone. A German court has cast aside a two-week-old order forcing T-Mobile to begin offering unlocked iPhones. The initial order was established after Vodafone argued before the Hamburg District Court that T-Mobile's exclusive deal with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Woodvine

Legality of selling an unlocked iPhone?

"France is now the only country on the planet where you can buy - legally - an unlocked iPhone."

So buying an unlocked iPhone is illegal in every other country? I don't think so.

2. Bruce Robinson
    Thumb Down

Arbitrage

This will not last, arbitrage will soon put pay to this silly arrangement, especially with such a porous border.

3. Bad Beaver
    Stop

W-T-F!?

So let's better get rid of / have that law changed, before other companies start pulling the same crap.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Disgusting mockery of Anti-competition laws and a blow to consumer choice

Totally disgusted by the German Court ruling.

If I want to buy a TV I don't expect to pay for a set then be told I can only watch the manufacturers selected 1 channel.

If I buy a Car I expect to drive where I want (within the law) not be told by Volkswagen or whoever that I can only drive on 'A' Roads.

If the handset was subsidised by the Phone company I could understand why the handset is locked. Since its not why are the handsets locked to one "exclusive" network and why are the contracts not reduced in price given the subscriber is bringing their own pre-purchased unsubsidised handset ?

Apple has some slick products. Not really innovative given the Tech available, but nonetheless they are slick. Unfortunately it seems their slick corporate business deals are in danger of negatively impacting the way in which the European Mobile Phone Networks currently operate and could lead to an tragic loss of consumer choice it left standing.

I do hope that Vodafone has grounds for appeal and prevent Apple from destroying the freedom of choice available in the European mobile markets

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Disgusting mockery

"If I want to buy a TV I don't expect to pay for a set then be told I can only watch the manufacturers selected 1 channel."

But if you were told that before you bought the TV then you have the choice to buy it or not.

"If I buy a Car I expect to drive where I want (within the law) not be told by Volkswagen or whoever that I can only drive on 'A' Roads."

But if you were told that before you bought the car then you have the choice to buy it or not.

At the end of the day, you don't like the way they sell it, you don't buy it. No-one is forcing anyone to buy one.

Simply vote with your feet, if you don't buy one, and no-one else does then they might change their tactics.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like