back to article Alice: The Madness Returns

I have been waiting 11 years to be reunited with American McGee’s Alice and strangely enough, Alice: Madness Returns parallels this as we join our unbalanced heroine 11 years after her defeat of the Queen of Hearts and discharge from Rutledge Asylum. Alice: The Madness Returns Who are you calling a pussy? Alice Liddell has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't sure before..

Now I'm sold. Still debating whether to re-play the original before playing this one tho

2. Cool Hand Luke
    Windows

Not for me, but...

...at least you won't get comment after comment, after comment moaning about how you didn't test it on a PC and that you tested it on <insert console name here> and it's inferior to PC graphics.

3. Ian Yates

Awesome

Couldn't tell from the screenshots, but how would you rate the level design compared to the first game?

Alice was an average platformer, but the design was the thing I loved about it - whole worlds changing shape, etc.

Looking forward to playing this one, once it hits a reasonable price.

4. Snark
    Thumb Up

At long last

Thank heaven's it wasn't just me. I can echo every word of the opening statement "I have been waiting 11 years to be reunited with American McGee’s Alice....".

It's a relief to hear the design element has been handled well as it was that that made it such a fun game and made you actually want to see what was around the next corner. It looks beautiful and warped and wonderful just like the original. Now just to decide, PC or Xbox version when the prices come down.

Now where did I put my Alice wallpaper.. Great for scaring people off at work

5. Khaptain Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sniffing glue on tabs of acid.

Now that would be a wicked trip..... Judging by some of the screenshots I think that the Acid Tabs must have been handed out freely within the design department.

Imagine trying to play this game on Acid.......

Turn on, tune in, drop out.

[How unfortunate my Dr Leary coat has just gone and melted into a porcupine revelation]

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Didn't even know it was coming out

I'm so sad I actually have the Alice & Cheshire Cat figures. And I can still remember jumping 2ft out of my chair when the Cat got gibbed. The screenshots look awesome and now I will have to build a Windows PC. Anon so my therapist doesn't find me...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Getting to the stage

Getting to the stage where it's now not unreasonable to ask when a Linux version is going to be available.

8. beboyle
    Childcatcher

Why do I like this game?

But I like CoD AND Neil Gaiman! Not to mention a life-long fan of Charles Dodgson. I'm so conflicted...

9. MrT

was it really...

...11 years ago?! Methinks I'll dig out the original first and see if the price drops a bit in the next few months.

The original was always about the puzzles - the scenery and characters twisted about the original stories very nicely - particularly recall fighting Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum, plus running through the garden to meet the caterpillar. I don't mind one bit about the long gameplay - always thought paying £40 for a 4-hour single-player mission was disappointing...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Price drop? Just sell the original

The original game, if you have the box and good condition, etc, is actually a collectors item. You could easily sell it to pay for this edition.

10. steve 124

Help us determine FPS before we buy?

Would love to see your PC specs so we can decide if our machine is more or less powerful (since you seem to have had frame rate issues). How about it Lucy?

11. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Up

3D

You should see this game in 3D.....

/speechless....

I am so glad I did not buy Duke Nukem and got this instead.

12. Stuart Duel
    Thumb Up

I have the original...

...Mac OS 9/X release of this game.. I'm not really a game player, particularly if there are a gazillion button combinations to remember, but this is one I still play from time to time.

I look forward to the Mac version for this latest incarnation.

13. BenG
    Thumb Up

Fluctuating Framerates Batman

I've noticed that having the Physx setting (On the graphics menu, but only before you start playing) anything above low causes the frame rate fluctuation on my rig, I'm guessing because I'm not running an nVidia card?

Other than that I'm enjoying what I've played so far - design is brilliant, though no rooms rearranging themselves in front of me yet, hoping there is more to come...

14. Rattus Rattus

I've been trying

to convince myself to hold off on this one until the price drops - after all, I've ordered so many new games off Steam in the last six months that I haven't even started to play yet... But no, I think I'm going to buckle and pick up this one when I get home.

15. Dana W
    Unhappy

Not playing this one HURTS!

This is the ONE thing that may make me dual boot, damn them!

16. MrT

£25 from Amazon...

... for the PC version anyway. Consoles at £38 save more off RRP...

Blimey, the original is still out there for £25 - after either 11 years from first release or 6 from release...

17. DRendar
    WTF?

A long Game?

"Looking for your money's worth? Well, Alice Madness Returns is a long game, and I can see most people taking longer than 15 hours to complete."

15 hours is a long Game? Seriously?

So not even a weekend's heavy gaming then... I'll wait till it's on budget release thanks.

1. Lamont Cranston
      Joke

Chances are that there'll be a BBFC rating on the box,

so you won't be able to buy it.

1. DRendar

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Hehehe

Come now - if I was a young'un I wouldn't be bothered 'cos I'd just be getting it off bittorrent.

I've been gaming since the early 80's on nearly every platform that's been in existence, and to me - 15 Hours just isn't that long. Hell - you could make Chuckie Egg last more than 15 hours!!

1. Lamont Cranston

I'll doff my cap to you,

as I could barely get through 15 minutes of Chuckie Egg!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like