back to article Apple to revamp desktop Macs

Apple will refresh its Mac Pro and Mac Mini desktop computers in August, with the new range featuring Intel’s new Sandy Bridge CPUs and Thunderbolt, the company’s latest high-speed peripheral interface developed in collaboration with Intel. The unofficial news of these Mac desktop arrivals come from the Twitter account of CNet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they learn...

... and set a realsitic price for the Mac Mini ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They will learn....

...when people stop buying enough of them at the current price.

It may be expensive but it's a lovely machine.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Won't happen

If they drop the Mac Mini to £399 then it makes the iPad price seem daft and we all know that other tablet makers have struggled to beat the iPad price.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

price

£499 would be fine - the cheapest Mac Mini is £612 today

3. Rich 30

agree

The Mac Mini is far too expensive for what it is. You dont get a lot of "apple design" for your money.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MAC Pro update

The MAC Pro update is late because of problems with the chipsets for the new Xeon processors.

It's a shame that the new MACbook Pro Quad core is faster than the current MACPro using xeon processors (and the current iMAC is too if you upgrade to the quad core), but that's the way it is at the moment.

We have been waiting for the new MAC Pro and are eventually using MACbook Pro as a stop-gap.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Well..

I'd love to see you fit PCI express cards, 4 hard discs and a massive amount of RAM in a Macbook pro.

Not to mention two optical drives too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Media Arbitration Code?

Surely you mean "Mac"?

3. Matthew 17

Mac not MAC

It's short for Macintosh, it's not an acronym you see.

HTH

The Pro's are a work of art, my 2008 model can still carry an amazing amount of load without getting stressed.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't get me wrong

We'll still get a Mac Pro, but at the moment, rendering with the Macbook Pro beats the 8-core hands-down and is so close to a 12-core it's unreal. Given that the Macbook Pro is about the same cost as the 8-core and MUCH cheaper than the 12-core it's a no-brainer.

Ram is certainly an issue, and the price of 16GB for a Macbook should be illegal. Storage is not so much of an issue, because that all lives on a gigabit LAN, so that it is shared. Optical media is not used enough to worry about how many drives in a single machine. It's also true that the multiple GPUs in the Mac Pro also help rendering, but at the moment it's still loosing.

Also the Macbook will be a useful toy/tool for on-site demonstrations later.

3. jake Silver badge

Cool.

Twelve month hardware refresh cycle ... The investors will be happy.

4. RonaldK

Posting rumours now?

Hmm, I thought El Reg didn't partake in the posting of Apple rumours. Hope this isn't a trend starting. I liked that when I saw an Apple-related post on this site, I knew that it had something of value to add.

5. Ted Treen
    Thumb Up

Nice to know...

...but I bought a MacPro (April 2010) for home use, so I could work at home - we use CS5 and I was up til then carrying on with my 2005 G5 dual2.0 and CS3 - I still have that and I do use it..

The MacPro works very well; it's been upped to 12GB RAM, and had an additional three 1TB drives added and a second optical - a Samsung with Lightscribe capability. It will, I believe last me for at least another 3–4 years barring anything really wild happening with software and rendering it not usable but I do think that's unlikely.

In around 4–5 years time I will be at normal retirement age, and with the cash part of my pension I might think about upgrading to whatever is then cutting edge but until that time, I really can't see any benefit to upgrading other than being able to say "I got the newest".

6. Richard Scratcher
    Gimp

Never mind the CPUs or Thunderbolt interface...

...what super new form will the external housing take? No doubt the old cheese grater look is gone.

I'm guessing it will be sleek, smooth, shiny, stylish and...oh....I think I've just come.

7. Mr Blobby247

Apple upgrade the Mac Pro when Intel makes it possible

Apple have always had advance access to intel's new chipsets and CPUs since they switched from Power PC. But they also never upgrade the Mac Pro until something Significantly more powerful than the current model is possible. This is almost certainly going to be the E5-2600 Sandy Bridge Xeons (dual socket 2011), why would they go backwards and release a single socket workstation, seems pointless?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

We're all saying Yippee! now. But . . .

. . . when these new machines are tied to the cloud and what you do is as restricted as it's looking to be. Yippee won't be the word.

I have been purposely waiting for these new machines. And have a butt load of money to spend on them. But not under these conditions. PC's are looking good now. I DON'T BELIEVE I SAID THAT! Thanks Apple! You made me cuss.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

sounds great!

Nobody in their right minds upgrades a perfectly good macpro just because a new one's come out. My mate has one that was 2ndhand 5 years ago running Logic etc (music producer) - a powerpc with an old OS - and it still performs like it was new - which is still easily good enough to run a home studio.

IMO new releases like this are for people making a genuine new-purchase decision either because their old one really isn't up to it any more or they are fed up with windows.

Anyone else is like those amateur photographers who have more hasselblad gear than a professional and gets the new kit every year - and proceeds to take holiday snaps with it all.

Paris - because it's time she was upgraded.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like