back to article 30,000 Shreks besmirch BeautifulPeople

Surface-preoccupied hook-up site BeautifulPeople.com has culled 30,000 uglies who were accidentally allowed to join the "largest most exclusively beautiful community in the world". The site was last month hit by a "Shrek" virus which compromised the software allowing existing members to vet newbies. As a result, thousands of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim
    Joke

Beauty is skin deep

some people are inside out

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Beauty may be skin deep

but ugly goes to the bone

2. GrumpyJoe
    Flame

Beautiful on the outside...

dark, pus-filled evil on the inside?

Flame, as in 'Kill it with fire!'

3. An-D

Fake?

Didn't Graham Cluley rumble this as just a publicity stunt?

4. Syed
    Thumb Up

"Ugmos"

Like it!

5. Old Painless
    WTF?

you've got to be kidding...

thy should just rename it "vacuous people", although "people" might be stretching the term a bit for one dimensional meat narcissists...

6. Bilgepipe
    Facepalm

Refund

At least they refunded my money.

7. Graham Cluley
    Facepalm

It's clearly a publicity stunt

As I explain at http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/20/beautifulpeople this story has duped the likes of The Telegraph, The Daily Mail, The Guardian, Fox News, BBC Radio 4 and now The Register too!

It's clearly poppycock, dreamt up by BeautifulPeople's PR firm. If the Shrek virus exists, I look like Brad Pitt.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: It's clearly a publicity stunt

Hi Graham! See Lester's update.

As it currently stands, counting the edit and this comment, you've got two mentions to the site's one. I think you win.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Pint

Fame at last

I worked with Graham Cluley for a couple of hours once. Does that make me famous - or lucky to have got off so lightly?

:D

2. Studley

The loop expands

Somebody (my money's on Sarah) has posted the Reg's addendum on the Sophos article. Clearly El Reg wrote this article specifically so that Graham would comment, so that The Register would get a bagful of mentions on the Sophos site, so that... oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Folk actually pay a sub for that ?!?! Ha Ha HaHa Ha

9. M7S

I'd love to see a copy of that email

Alas there are none showing from that domain on the servers I operate, guess we must know we're fugly...

10. Ted Treen
    Facepalm

$25 dollars a month???

So you have to be beautiful AND stupid?

1. Ru
      Paris Hilton

Are you trying to say

that such a combination is neither popular nor desirable?

I think 'stupid, beautiful and rich' scores the hat-trick here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a business opportunity to me

Who's up for founding lumpentrolls.com - the social networking site for those 85% of the British population too hideous to join beautifulpeople.com? At just $20 per month you'd even save money.

Re: Sounds like a business opportunity to me

There's an ugmo site that got some attention recently when one unpretty person met another one through it and then dumped her and somehow it was a story.

3. MrCheese
      Mushroom

Yep

The most "beautiful" people tend to be the most stupid anyway, with the exception of The Reg readership natch!

Now I'm off for some counselling to get me over my rejection to VacuousTwits.com

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yep

I don't understand this beautiful people tend to be the most stupid thing, I'm no oil painting but I certainly don't get all defensive when I see someone is, which is very rare anyway.

If you're looking for vacuosusness then consider this

>VacuousTwits.com

Isn't that redirected to mensa.org? Who the hell is so insecure that they need to join such an organisation? Even worse are the ones who go on about being a member.

11. LPF

Proof positive that this site does not work..

I'm not on it!

12. Captain TickTock
    Joke

Black Helicopters?

Black paper bags more like!

13. Naughtyhorse

6 weeks!!!11!!

lemmie guess the supermodel running it was to thick to spot what was happening.

fucking nazis

1. Andy Farley

We don need no steeenking titles.

You mean "too thick"...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Well...

Brains and beauty very, very rarely mix, the amazing Dr Alice Roberts being an exception to that rule!

1. pcsupport
      Happy

Mmmm, Alice :))

Alice Roberts… Drool!

2. Goldmember
      Paris Hilton

Don't forget....

...The Vorderman. Oh yes.

15. Russ.T.Starfish
    Paris Hilton

Can't think of a better place to avoid

Apart from a war zone maybe.

I don't class myself as ugly. Not beautiful for sure, but average. Typically the types of people I've met that I imagine would frequent such an environment and pay for the privilege are more than welcome to each other. Sons and daughters of Aphrodite for sure. a bunch of shallow vacuous people.

Wait until they are old. Once the beauty has gone, all that is left is a shallow bitter shell.

1. skeptical i

A hollow bitter shell lined with silicone, no doubt, ...

... plus botox, collagen, and whatever tensioner rods they use for the weapons-grade facelifts/ "rejuvenations" favored by celebutards.

Also, am I the only one who thought it might be a publicity stunt for the folks behind the Shrek movies?

16. Captain Underpants
    Thumb Down

Really, guys? Really?

I hope they at least *paid* you to run this ridiculous load of old bollocks...

That being said, I'm somewhat curious as to what the vetting process is. How do they avoid people just engaging in that finest of internet pastimes, ie bunging around half a dozen .jpgs that they claim are Definitely Pictures Of Me, Guv, I Swear, I'm Totally That Hot Blonde And Not Eg. An Overweight Bloke With An Internet Connection And An Interesting Sense Of Humour?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Trollface

Mmmm...

You're right. So who posts the link on /b/?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Publicity stunt.

Publicity stunt.

1. Captain TickTock
      Joke

Publicity Stunt

But all in the best possible taste!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Why do ugly people bitch...

Why do ugly people bitch about good looking people being *shallow* - you can be ugly and shallow as well... many, many are!

1. tmTM
      FAIL

Flawed logic?

If the members of that site had such a deep and rich personality why would they sign up to the site which judges people soley on their looks?

1. BrownishMonstr

flawed logic? don't think so..

so the only beautiful people in this world are the ones signed up? i think not. anyway, beauty is pretty subjective ...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Why do ugly people call themselves 'average'...?

Why do ugly people call themselves 'average'...?

1. Luke McCarthy

Because

Because the average is ugly

1. Marvin the Martian
        Alien

Yes, but,

half of them are even uglier than that average!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Boffin

average != median

see title

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

No excuse really

No doubt most of the ugly people on this web site don't really have an excuse. They were probably just overweight.

There isn't really much of an excuse all you have to do is eat less food.

1. It wasnt me
      Thumb Down

Really?

Thin != Beaftiful.

Peter Crouch.

Margaret becket.

Your move.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

[Thinks]

Mornington Crescent?

1. dogged

Morning Crescent fails in a "fat people" thread.

I call Mornington Croissant.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@it wasn't me

Remember, Beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder...so you are just as wrong as Titus when you say that thin people are not beautiful. You dirty little chubby chaser.

21. noboard
    Stop

So...

Do they get reviewed on a regular basis and people found wanting kicked out? For $25 a month I'd want to be sure no beauties turned uggo share the same web space as me.

Not that I'd ever get onto the site in the first place, the looks and $25 dollar fee keeping me away in equal measure.

22. Nigel Brown
    Mushroom

Cue the backfire from an ill thought out publicity stunt

I sincerely hope that this site now comes under a sustained attack from the less aesthetically-pleasing members of the hacking fraternity. Not everyone has such a high opinion of the beautiful people as they themselves do, and I look forward to reading about their pretty but empty head being shot off now it's breached the parapet.

23. Coyote
    FAIL

BP is a joke

About a year ago I submitted an application to BeautifulPeople just to see what would happen. I'm no Adonis, and I was accepted. I think something like 75% of the people who reviewed my profile approved me. And... that site has been of absolutely zero use to me. I'm convinced BP exists to advertise absurdly overpriced events and deliver Russian bride spam. There's no way I'd pay for whatever kind of "premium" features they are offering.

I'm guessing the "fuglies" that got added via this exploit must have been the most blatantly unflattering pictures some troll could find on the Internet. Most of the people on BP aren't really that beautiful. FWIW, it's very easy to take a photo that will hide weight/wrinkles/bad skin or hair/etc... and there are plenty such photos on BP and every other dating site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BP is a joke

>FWIW, it's very easy to take a photo that will hide weight/wrinkles/bad skin or hair/etc..

Failing that you could go overboard with portrait professional and end up with a face looking like a babys bum.

24. TheRead
    Paris Hilton

I remember this site!

It's a good thing it exists, because it's not as if people who are considered ugly already get the short end of the stick across their entire life.

"I'm so tired of having to see these ugly people. WHY WON'T THEY JUST LEAVE ME ALONE BY NOT EXISTING."

Perhaps it's time to capitalize on the lack of straight white only dating services too, BECAUSE NOWHERE IS SAFE FROM UNDESIRABLES.

Pictures related on multiple levels.

Re: I remember this site!

It's good, it's a self-selecting group of shallow berks who are welcome to each other.

Sorry, I mean YEAH IT'S LIKE RACISM.

25. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet."

A few hundred; yes. 30,000; way too lumpy to walk on. Of course they're not under the carpet you numpty! They're buried in the basement.

26. heyrick Silver badge
    WTF?

Funny...

...the prettiest girls in school/college were always vapid self-obsessed cows with little concept beyond "me" and bleating on cue. Yes, it sounds like any number of American teen angst films. Depressing, ain't it?

I just hope and pray that this site will be graceful enough to include members photos as they age, for we all get older and saggier, and cosmetic surgery can only do so much before you end up looking like a hybrid feline freak, still obsessed that you're good looking.

27. randomHandle
    Coffee/keyboard

FZ...

"I have an important message to deliver to cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful, I just want to tell you something. There's more of us ugly motherfuckers than you are!"

Frank Zappa, 1940-1993

(Come back Frank, we miss you. You'd have a whale of time with todays assholes)

28. nyelvmark
    Go

Sounds like Mensa

Maybe that's where they got the idea.

25 bucks a month to be constantly reassured that you're beautiful? And they turn people down? Seriously?

I think I'll start a site like this for tall people. Absolutely no-one will be accepted who is less than 50cm tall.

29. JB
    WTF?

Definitely a PR stunt

If they really kicked 30,00 people off for being ugly, where are the discrimination court cases? Beauty is such a nebulous quality, BeautifulPeople.com wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. Definitely just a PR stunt, and a pretty lame one at that.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Business Opportunity!!

A dating site for ugly people! Possible names:

"Ugly Reality"

"Paper Bag Parade"

"Lights Off Dating"

"Ugmojority"

The ugly masses will have their revenge!! We will either breed out the good-looking, or just refuse to help them with their accounting, hair and nails, tanning beds, shoe-tying, etc.!!

31. Chris King
    WTF?

Why is my bullshit meter pegging again ?

So, they reckon they were hit with some "virus" that no-one else has heard of before now, managed to clean up EVERY system without outside help, AND completely reversed the effects so that their "exclusivity" is restored ? With NO downtime whatsoever ?

Yeah, right. In the same situation, most Short Attention Span 2.0 outfits would be flat on their backs kicking their little legs in the air, or their customer databases would be all over the torrents by now.

Oh, and boys - you're only 18 months too late for the "we were hacked" PR stunt to be anything like original - Ubisoft tried that one back in November 2009 and were called out on it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/27/splinter_cell_hack/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Great CV !!!

> So, they reckon they were hit with some "virus" that no-one else has heard of before now, managed to clean up EVERY system without outside help, AND completely reversed the effects so that their "exclusivity" is restored ? With NO downtime whatsoever ?

With credentials like those, if their website wasn't down I'd be offering them a job!

32. dodge
    FAIL

Site still down

If it was a PR stunt, it appears to have backfired spectacularly.

"The site is currently down due to software updates. Sorry for the inconvenience. Sincerely, beautiful people."

I guess they had to finally man up and get in some plain-looking technical people to fix it. Quelle horreur!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

LulzStrike?

@dodge: "The site is currently down due to software updates. Sorry for the inconvenience."

33. beli bouton
    Alien

SSSSSSSSSSSSnake Oil ?????

If it looks like snake oil and smells like snake oil and tastes like snake oil then it's probably snake oil.

1. nyelvmark
      Go

Snake oil?

You might be right, except that as far as I know there's actually no such thing as snake oil.

What did it taste like?

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even my computer thinks I'm ugly

My attempt to access the beautifulpeople.com website to see what these folk look like came up as a blocked domain. Would showing my webcam a photo of someone else help?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame not to oblige.

Well, it seems a shame not to indulge their fantasy of being hacked to bits. (or DDos'd, I don't care).

Let the mothers burn for their foul sense of morality.

1. Goggle in amazement at such shallow vapidity.

2. Recover.

3. Post on /b/

4. Drop LulzSec a note.

5. ....

6. Profit!

Ain't no force like a triforce.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Blown out...

"...the prettiest girls in school/college were always vapid self-obsessed cows with little concept beyond "me" and bleating on cue."

Sounds like someone got blown out (not off).

37. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

You just don't get it

Us beautiful people aren't stupid or shallow. We're just different.

Why am I trying to explain?... only a beautiful person would understand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

I get it

I understand - alongside your face, my arse is beautiful.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I get it

"alongside your face, my arse is beautiful"

In this case, beauty really is only skin deep.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like