back to article Hacker wrists slapped for stealing Lady Gaga songs

Two German hackers have been convicted of stealing unpublished songs from some of the most popular recording stars, including Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey and Justin Timberlake, and selling them for a tidy profit. The unidentified youths, aged 18 and 23, used phishing attacks and trojans to plant malware on the computers of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Not allowed everywhere.

Although it seems to be permissible in Germany, most legal jurisdictions would not allow a judge to preside over a case involving his relatives.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DDR judicial parity error

So... 18 and 23, not really youths considering the DDR's age of majority. I guess 15K in fraud and sexual extortion and blackmail is typical of the average German freshman or grad student? I suspect if an Octoberfest addled frat boy walked into a Dorm and stole 15k in computers and stereo equipment, and used a polaroid photo to blackmail one of the coeds, it would make international headlines for how the perps would be reclining in a German goulag for a nice long stretch.

Electronic crime should be treated the same as terrestrial crime.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Facepalm

Maybe that use semantics of "stealing" throw you off.

The usual "IP" bullshit & retardation applies , "stealing" is to be understood in a rather relaxed way. No actual good went anywhere nor are the incomes of anyone threatened or even diminshed.

Next: Why saying hello is not actually "sexual harrasment".

1. Steven Roper
        Devil

Re: Why saying hello is not actually sexual harassment

It is in some jurisdictions...

3. Oninoshiko
    Stop

WTF?

Internet addiction? How about that they are asocial little crims?

Throw the book at them, I'm really starting to get sick of people getting off on crimes because of these types of "mitigating circumstances." I may not like Kesha, but this little shit DAMN well knew that he was doing something both illegal and immoral when he blackmailed her. If Kesha came to his house and beat him every night, THAT would be a true mitigating circumstance. This is not.

4. trarch
    WTF?

US Involvement

As these are US artists, why aren't the pair being extradited to the US as with the British CS student

(Not that I want that to happen, though)?

The pair blackmailed, planted malware and went on a phishing rampage for financial gain by selling copyrighted material, yet the CS student merely linked to copyrighted material?

Some inconsistencies going on.

1. Jim Morrow
      Mushroom

what us involvement?

> As these are US artists, why aren't the pair being extradited to the US as with the British CS student

oh for fuck's sake! it was the uk government that signed a stupid extradition treaty with the americans. the germans had more sense. so if the feds want these two crimininals, there has to be an extradition hearing in the german courts. which could be tricky. keeping dirty pictures of kesha out of the newspapers is a noble public duty, not an offense.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Explicit photos of Ke$ha

are punishment enough

1. Annihilator

To repeat the joke..

As I recall the line at the time was "Ke$ha was hacked twice, first to steal the explicit pictures and then later again the same day to put them back"

6. Ray Simard
    WTF?

Let's see now...

These guys steal the stuff and resell for profit and get wrists slapped.

Joel Tenenbaum downloads 30 songs and shares them on P2P. No resale, no profit. He gets nicked for $675,000 (later reduced, but the point is, that was the original sentence).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/10/p2p_damages_reduced/

No further comment.

7. goats in pajamas

Songs?

That pushing it a bit far, don't you think?

8. The Alpha Klutz

"explicit private photos from bombshell artist Kesha"

well I had to Google the photo, and well, it is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.

Was it stolen from Kesha's computer or downloaded from SETI?

9. karl 15
    Pint

stop

"Hacker wrists slapped for stealing Lady Gaga songs"

the songs are as much her's as say a reg readers, she has little to do with them

so what this is, is corporate theft ;-)

1. Annihilator
      Trollface

Subtle

Given she's got writer/producer credits for pretty much her entire catalogue, I'd call that a swing and a miss. Though you may be confused where it states the name as "Stefani Germanotta". You can carry on doubting if she wrote them, but she certainly owns or co-owns them.

Keep on trollin' though.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        IT Angle

Credits, huh? That means a lot

Elvis also got a writing credit on a lot of his songs, but he never wrote a song in his life. It was done to get him (well, Colonel Tom) a bigger share of the money.

Also, whether she was involved in the writing or not, I'd be loath to describe her repetitive garbage as "songs".

The IT angle? That would be the auto-tuning software.

10. Hyphen
    Paris Hilton

Pics or it didn't happen

I think I'd rather the pics than the music... ;-)

1. Steven Roper
      Coat

Re: I'd rather the pics than the music

That's like saying you'd rather your spaceship got caught by a neutron star than a black hole. You're still going to die from exposure to it, either way!

11. jake Silver badge

Demographic ...

I finally figured out what a "lady gaga" was[1], and now you hit me with a "kesha"?

I realize this is a redtop, but Shirley all y'all at ElReg are trying to reach out to folks with at least a tiny little bit of an education?

[1] Basically, a later-day Ms. Ciccone, only with far less talent. The mind boggles ...

12. Cliff

Crap criminals

They only got $15k for that little haul? They should be ashamed for...

1) doing the crime

2) getting caught

3) taking such silly risks for such a pissy reward!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Stealing'?

Why is this reported here and on the BBC as 'stealing' - did they take away stuff and deprive the rightful owners of it, or merely copy?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Troll Much?

Actually, in this case, I would say that "stealing" is the correct verb. The accused "stole" revenue from their victims by releasing previously unreleased work thus depriving them of the income that releasing that work in their own time frame may have generated.

"Theft/stealing" is also an informal verbal shorthand used for some crimes against property.

One facet often ignored by freetards is that the "mere copying" of a song and then distributing it to others is permanently depriving the owner of their distribution rights to that song. The idea that theft must involve a corporeal presence that one is deprived of is simply a shallow justification for one to not have to pay for something the rights holder wishes to be paid for.

Note that these offenders did not redistribute these songs out of the goodness of their hearts. They charged people for the songs. The money they made from the illegal distribution of this media is in and of itself direct proof of depriving the artists of something ie: that same income.

14. nyelvmark
    Happy

I realize this is a redtop

...omg, you're right! I hadn't noticed before that the banner at the top of El Reg articles is in white text on a red background! Jesus! This means that The Register is exactly the same as The Star, which is exactly the same as The Daily Mirror, which is exactly the same as The Sun. And that means that every article in The Register is actually written by Rupert Murdoch (except the ones written by Murdoch's secret love child Lewis Page, of course).

Colour me enlightened.

15. David Perry 2
    FAIL

If it was her usual tripe

I can't see why anyone would pay anything for it anyway.

The stuff she did before she turned into a freakshow was so much better and I actually give her credit for

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

attested to be highly addicted to the internet to be a mitigating factor

If I ever get nicked for doing anything clearly illegal and driven by greed on the internet, I want everyone here to know that I'm highly addicted to the internet. I shall henceforth call you as witnesses whenever convenient, kthx.

Also, I'm not retired, so do I also qualify as a youth? Add that to my mitigation list please.

17. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

OMFG!

"...blackmailed her to give him an audio endorsement that he could use to promote his image among hackers...."

I suggest that his image be promoted by using it to illustrate the entry for "fucktard" over at the Urban Dictionary, as this is the best definition I have seen to date.

18. andy gibson
    Happy

Stealing Lady Gaga's Songs

Does that mean someone stole her Madonna "Greatest Hits" album?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like