back to article Beer makes people have sex with you

American researchers have stunned the world with the revelation that young people who drink a lot tend to get more sex. Academics at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis revealed their shock findings yesterday after extensive research. It seems that the shrinks were easily able to demonstrate a connection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. michael
    Paris Hilton

in over news

water is wet

grass is green

users are stupid

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Whoopeee!

Set 'em up baby!

3. David T Wonderllama
    Unhappy

Beer goggles?

The study doesn't however detail what these 10 or more partners are going to look like after you have had a few.

From my own experience... maybe a few less beers would have meant a few less "swamp donkeys".

4. James Condron

Beer, woo

so lets get this straight,

* beer makes you clever (source: The Kiwis)

* beer re-hydrates you (source: The Spanish?)

* beer gets you laid

Love it

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Similar problems

In her book The Coming Plague, Laurie Garrett recounts stories by researchers into STD's in San Francisco in the 70's and 80's who were looking at promiscuity in the gay scene.

IIRC, they started off considering men who had more than 50 partners a year as "Extremely promiscuous". By the end of the first day, they had revised that number to 100+. By the end of the study, they were counting 500 and up as the top end category.

Rather puts one's own conquests into context...

(Paris Hilton selected for obvious reasons)

6. EvilFairy
    Thumb Down

damnit

I quit drinking :(

7. Nik Kellingley
    Paris Hilton

Can't stop I'm off to the pub...

Now I know, I'm off to put this into practice!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Beeeeeeeer...

enabling ugly people to get laid for centuries.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Risky !!!

At last, a high risk lifestyle I am happy to embrace, sod your bungy, base jumping, skydiving adrenalin rush crap, it's beer and sex for me every time.

Paris - well obviously

10. Dam
    Paris Hilton

Paris hilton angle incoming

Reckon I can score her for a beer or two ?

Even travel agencies won't get you Paris so cheap.

11. Ash
    Boffin

Flawed stats (as always)

So, you're saying p*ssed up louts get more sex? Or are you saying p*ssed up louts get more STD's?

Or that p*ssed up louts go for slutty women?

I drink more than my healthy share, yet don't consider myself promiscuous in the least. I've been with the same lady for almost 6 years, and never fallen foul of a "dry spell"! (Except that one time where I felt up her sister, but I did have her permission... Ahem.)

12. Chris Collins

The horror

Clearly after 15 partners your cock will crumble into dust. Is the .26 partner Heather Mills?

13. Stone Fox
    Coat

Since you twisted my arm...

Mines a stella then. :D

On a more serious (not) note, there may be an untouched on reason as to why you get more when you drink more:

What's the difference between a dog and a fox?

-About 6 pints!

<-------Taxi! (reaches for coat)

14. Nick Ryan Silver badge
    Joke

BEER

Beer - helping ugly people have sex since 1634

15. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

There is only one explanation...

Everything worthy of serious research is already known.

That leaves researchers no option but to come up with utter bolox (no pun intended.)

Come to think of it, when was the last astonishing discovery / invention / development that led to big changes for mankind ?

I have a research idea !

Thesis;

Do anally retentative nerds need to lighten-up, have a drink and get laid more?

16. thomas k.

erm ... *how* many?

The article doesn't make clear if that 9.26 figure is per week, per month, per year or per (their) lifetime, up to age 25. Unless it's per week, then all I can say is, "bloody amatuers!"

Back in the 70s (my mid-teens to mid-20s), if I wasn't having sex with at least 6 different people a week, I'd be worrying I was losing my edge.

Of course, it *was* the 70s - Free Love, Make Love Not War and all that. We weren't able to stop war but we had some fun trying. Things have changed, I guess.

17. Jose Luis Martin Mas
    Coat

average number of partners

The average number of partners for the people in this study was 9.26? Sick drunken psychos!! They're having sex with people having only a .26 of their bodies!!

OK, OK, I'm already at the door...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

You mean...

You mean that people that like to have fun and sex and that actually go out and socialize, instead of shunning human contact and staying at home have more sex than their more hermitic counterparts? Wow, who would have thunk it.. (The Paris Hilton angle is obvious btw) In other news, those that aren't manic-depressive are generally happier overall...

19. Jamie Kitson
    Stop

Floor

I am now going to state the bleeding obvious, surely the chances of a pregnancy (unintended or otherwise) actually relates more the number of times you have sex rather than the number of partners you've had sex with.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Really?

‘Beer makes people have sex with you’ - well it never worked for me! Perhaps I needed to be drinking more than 8 pints a night?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please re-read the article...

...after adjusting your correlation<>causation filter. Sadly, all it says is that people who drink heavily also tend to have sex with more people - not that drinking more will get YOU more sex. Sorry to pour cold water on a nice idea...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

wow anyone who's ever drank alcohol exhibits 1 symptom

Reading the abstract one of the criteria was exhibiting 1 symptom of the DSM-IV problem drinking. I better get myself to AA as it looks like I've got a problem:

"Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

* A need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve intoxication or desired effect.

* Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol."

I thought that was just natural as you get used to the alcohol but obviously not.

23. Ralph B
    Dead Vulture

Beer Spin

Hmm, so there's a correlation between the amount drunk and the number of partners had, and you choose to interpret that as "drink beer and get laid more". However, couldn't a more likely explanation be a negative correlation between the amount drunk and ability to hold on to a partner? i.e. "drink beer and get dumped more"?

24. Rob
    Go

The more interesting story is...

.... what lead to Ash feeling up his missus sister, tell all (unless your other half reads this site that is, I wouldn't want to contribute to short dry spell for ya).

25. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Drinking leads to more rumpy-pumpy

Addendum sorely needed to this stunningly useful study. As all Vulture readers know, the beer glass effect has a real impact on most drinkers, making some go and shag whatever moves. So yes, they probably get more pillow time, but I'd say there's a faire chance they don't remember it well either.

I prefer less quantity with more quality. Remembering is half the fun, after all.

26. cor
    Paris Hilton

Oi cahnt sooiy ah agrhee <hic>

.. buht it sheems dhat I looshe cant affer threeeh.

<hic>

27. matt
    Thumb Down

perspective

From a mans perspective I'd say its not how much you drink that matters, instead how much the ladies around you drink. The corelation probably comes from, the people you surround yourself with will drink a similar amount. Which is not quiet the same.

If I went out to a club and drank as much as I could, I doubt I'd be getting any action :¬)

The exception to this take on it being beer gogles of course :¬)

28. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Good Job!

Great article El Reg my old mate, I think you got the tone spot on on that one. Unfortunately with the undesirable side effect of causing me to genuinely laugh out loud! oops

I'll get the round in

29. David Roberts
    Boffin

Which way round is it?

Perhaps people are looking at it the wrong way?

It may just be that sex makes you thirsty.

Also, my First Aid instructor told me that a pint of bitter is naturally balanced to replace lost bodily fluids, so there may be a correlation here. [And he was a doctor so it must be true.]

Also, the report doesn't state if the interviews were conducted when the subjects were sober.

After a few pints there may be a tendency to brag.....

......me? 15 pints a night man, me!....Women?....Beating them off with a shitty stick and still half killing myself.........

Hmmm....now what are the chances that the things most young men (and an increasing number of young women, these days) lie about are capacity for drink and sexual prowess?

Were there independant observers to verify the survey claims?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Absolut(tm) bollocks...

I was an alcoholic for three years at three different universities and didn't get laid once...

Posted anonymously...obviously...

31. Ross

Pun?

[In her book The Coming Plague, Laurie Garrett recounts stories by researchers into STD's...]

Pun intended?

32. Neil

@Jamie

"I am now going to state the bleeding obvious, surely the chances of a pregnancy (unintended or otherwise) actually relates more the number of times you have sex rather than the number of partners you've had sex with"

Depends how you do it, my boy...

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternative explanation

Married people drink less, due to nagging. Married people have less sexual partners.

34. Dan Collett
    Linux

To Alchohol.....

The cause and solution to all of lifes problems....

Well someone had to!

35. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Risk of Pregnancy?

The main factor that determines the chances of a pregnancy is whether you are a man or a woman.

Errr... coat?

36. Harry Stottle
    Happy

For a real time demonstration of the "Tequila Goggles" effect

check out http://www.whatthefreek.com/tequila/

most enlightening

37. C Wall

Homer

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems :)

38. Roast Duck
    Thumb Up

ash... share ur secret..

how did ya do it man...

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Drinky equals jigjig, say US Profs"

Seriously, who thinks up these URLs?

40. Chris
    Black Helicopters

St. Louis

The city where the research took place happens to also be the world-wide headquarters of the Anheuser-Busch companies, owners of approximately 50% of the US beer market. Coincidence? I think not!*

They didn't mention the gender of the participants, but talk of pregnancy leads me to believe the study boils down to "drunk chicks aren't very discerning about who they screw."

* Yes, I know most readers of El Reg would not consider most Anheuser-Busch products to be beer (neither do I), but for the study participants, Budweiser probably constitutes "the good stuff".

-Chris

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wine, Women & Song

Ah, that blessed Trinity of - Wine, Women & Song... OK forget the song bit - heaven forbid that it should lead to dancing.

42. Fred
    Boffin

Re:There is only one explanation...

Going a bit off topic here but....

"Everything worthy of serious research is already known."

Didnt some one say that at the turn of the 20th centuary? then we had friggin great big mad ass wars... rockets... moon landings (aparently), tin foil... computers... silicon breast implants... macdonalds???????????????????? and El Reg....

Hmm... id be worried if we knew all we would ever know as a species of course.

I want me nuclear powered flying car now please!!!! now God damnit!....

43. LaeMi Qian
    Unhappy

Lower the bar

I know for me, the limit on getting laid is not the number of willing guys, but the number of appealing guys - alcohol would certainly lower the bar there, but... ewwww!

44. J
    Coat

Hmm...

"a standard of 'up to six' sex partners"

Only if that's 6 at the same time, of course!

45. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hush

I knew when I was drinking beer I was damn near irresistible now I have proof. I warn you though there are were-nasties out there that when you wake turn old and ugly and fat and you must run and not leave your wallet, keys, or watch and they will they will find you at work a grisly fate.

46. Michael
    Coat

I submit

I submit to you that it is not, in fact, drinking that gets one laid, but rather, being in close proximity to others who are drinking.

In either case, I'm off to the pub.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Your round?

Anyone fancy a pint?http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/coat_32.png

48. Martin Huizing
    Go

Beer...

...the stuff that keeps you company till the bar closes and you have better company accompanying you home!

Coat, door, rubber(s) ->pub!

49. J

Brewer's droop?

So if beer makes you have sex, then Brewer's droop is a myth?

I dunno about others, but it seems real enough to me. No way I can manage sex after a night on the beer.

50. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

@Fred

Your wish can be granted, with Beer!

You will need one old, radium-dial, luminous watch, one clapped out Ford Fiesta, some duct tape and a cliff.

Open the bonnet of the Fiesta and duct-tape the watch to the rocker cover. Close the bonnet.

Now, drink *lots* of Beer.

Hey presto, nuclear powered flying car.

51. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

It's true!

Honest!

True as I'm riding this bike. (Oops - I'll be on the bike-shagging register now...)

</coat>

52. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hmmmm.....

If beer gets you sex....then one would not have to drop "roofies" in a gal's beer...one would need only to drop more beer in her beer....that's either simple and brilliant (if not tortured) logic, or very simple and needlessly expressed nonsense....

This topic is closed for new posts.