back to article What a mix-up: using different hypervisors

When asked to write about the pros and cons of deploying multiple hypervisors, my first thought was that nobody in their right mind would want to do such a thing, especially if the software was from different vendors. Management would be a nightmare and so would all kinds of compatibility issues. On further investigation, it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Hicks

Oh, a mixed estate

I thought we were going to be investigating hypervisor stacking.

Running KVM on Hyper-V under VMWare ESX, just for a laugh...

2. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Done this a fair bit at the low end

We've hopped back and forth with a few different routes using the low-end stuff: Virtualbox, Parallels before finally setling on KVM for our 4 or 5 VMs

The only problem we've had here has been disk images, and our solution has been to always use raw disk images rather than compressed. When I haven't, I've eventually regretted it: the space you save with a compressed image isn't much, but the time taken to convert between formats when your server drops and you have to bring up a VM on your workstation under a different platform is a royal pain. Disk is cheap, time is expensive.

3. MarkL

Back it up!

"Microsoft applications might deliver more when run on Microsoft’s own Hyper-V"

Oh, really?? Can you point to some information about this, because this is the first time I've seen this ascerted, anywhere!

4. Steven 1
    Happy

@MarkL

Whoa there buddy!

He did say 'might deliver more' :)

As in, I might win the lottery this weekend, or I might not....

5. Richard 33
    Linux

libvirt

And you can use libvirt to do lifecycle management for most hypervisors too.

For instance if you've got a Linux machine, you can try managing a local ESX server by yum/apt-get installing libvirt and doing:

virsh -c esx://esxserver/ list --all

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like