back to article O2 won't touch BlackBerry fondleslab for now

The BlackBerry PlayBook launched in the UK today. However, O2 has decided not to offer the tablet. The telco emailed interested punters that RIM's 7in, QNX OS-based slate will not be available after all, saying it had issues with the "end to end customer experience" offered by the gadget, Engadget reports. Perhaps it was sent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JMiles

i'm on mine now

and I prefer it to my iPad but the fact the built-in mail client requires a BB phone sure does knock the end-to-end experience for those without...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"End to end user experience"

Presumably this is O2's way of saying "we weren't able to install our own insidious brand of shovelware onto the device"

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Mushroom

Ah, yes....

....probably because their data network can't take any extra strain, collapsing on its arse as it currently is.

GJC

4. Chris 3
    Holmes

I can imagine that it is one of two problems

Either there is an intrinsic problem with the device' s usability

or

O2 wants to slap on some god-awful O2 skin or other software cruft and is having trouble doing so for some reason.

It is left as an exercise for the reader to decide which is more likely.

5. Steve Farr
    FAIL

Been there done that...

A year has gone by since O2 big launch of the Dell Streak. You'd think on the back of that experience they'd be well placed to market the Playbook.

Except No.

It's all gone sour since O2 pissed off all their Dell Streak customers by slapping down their 3GB allowances to a measly 500MB while claiming they can all use WiFi while on the move. They have since then issued unlock codes to disgruntled customers to help them go off to other providers.

O2 are currently in the middle of a SMS PR campaign (so it appears) to persuade users to stop using their smart phones, pads and tabs, or kindly go elsewhere. Sending out test messages like this one:-

" We've noticed you're using a lot of data. And it's affecting the service for other customers. Please cut down your use or connect over Wi-Fi. Or we may have to stop your data until your next bill date. For more info on our excessive usage policy, visit http://go.o2url.com/datainfo."

My advice therefore to anyone wanting to use a Playbook, Streak or any other smart device is don't bother with O2 because they don't want you. And they honestly couldn't be clearer about that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like