back to article New York Times takes on Apple-baiting troll

Mobile-developer-bothering patent hoard LodSys is under attack from the New York Times and OpinionLabs, with the latter alleging that LodSys threatened its customers and should pay restitution. Both are calling for dismissal of the same patent that LodSys has been waving at Apple developers along with demands for money. That …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

This could be good news!

Granted, this is obviously painful for those being targeted, but the fact that this case is gaining such a high profile, involving so many end innocent users might finally shine the spotlight on the stupidity of the idea of software patents. Especially as the idea concerned is so blindingly obvious and a natural evolution of e-commerce systems that have been around for what amounts to donkeys-years now.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Mushroom

Good news for some...

For the merkins, not so much.

Rest of the world?

Keep calm, and carry on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Black & Decker?

"Hello, the knobs on that Workmate look very familar?! We'll see you in court!"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So...

If they're targetting click-through payment generation, when are they going to sue Google?

1. Richard Taylor 2
      Megaphone

or

Amazon?

4. dotdavid
    Trollface

Troll

The Lodsys patent trollery makes me so angry - I think mainly its because they're targeting mobile devs who often don't have the armies of lawyers that the bigger boys have, and definitely won't have the money or time to play patent law games with a troll. Their self-righteous blog posts (understandably with comments disabled) just add fuel to the fire.

I hope this counter-suit wins and Lodsys gets what they deserve.

5. Chris Holt
    Coat

I am in the wrong job

Why when I said I wanted to work in IT did noone tell me to become a patents lawyer.

We both work with IPs I guess......(I'll get my coat)...but the lawyers in this LodSys case on both sides are on a total winner whoever wins. Its going to take years!

6. Stevie

Bah!

Ah, it's good to see the old SCO approach isn't dead.

Even though SCO is.

7. me n u
    Flame

Shades of SCO!

Is McBribe working at lodsys now?

8. Mark 65
    FAIL

IANAL

I cannot understand how, as the holder of a patent (shithouse one or valid one), you can go after the purchasers of an infringing item rather than the manufacturer. How is this legal? If I buy a device from company A how can I in any way be liable for any infringement it might make of company B's patents? Does the US not have any concept that the item is bought in good faith or does every consumer have to therefore check whether anything they ever buy is infringing on any patent that exists?

These sorts of legal actions should be dismissed at filing the filing stage. I can understand going after an importer to prevent the importation of an infringing device but not going after the user of said device. Utter fail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Ah...

Well, that is because US lawmakers, and lawmakers in general, are politicians. And although they excel at lining their pockets, they are not known to be very apt at doing what they are paid to do, i.e. making societies work.

Hence the current predicament.

9. Andy 97
    Thumb Down

Worldwide patents?

It will get to a point where companies are paying so much to protect their product nothing will change.

The Chinese have the right idea, JFDI and ignore the legal calls.

10. 2cent

Can you say SCO

This is the same attitude that SCO had.

Drag them into court until they give up money.

We really don't deserve it, but what the heck, anythings worth a shot. Besides, the bigger the gamble, the bigger the payoff.

A thought process usually brought on by arrogant management backed by arrogant "legal mind" yes persons.

Eventually, someone at the top of LoadedSys is going to run out of backers and be recognized for what they are.

Anyway, who is the money at LodSys.

Lawyers will aggregate around this, specialize in it, and drag it to the Supreme Court. It's a bag of money on either side, that is "a process of litigation to resolve issues".

Life expectancy of LodSys, same as SCO when they started doing it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like