back to article T-Platforms CPU-GPU hybrid hits 1.3 petaflops at Moscow State

Moscow State University has moved into the upper echelons of the HPC field with an upgrade to its top-end supercomputer and moved to hybrid CPU-GPU blade servers from indigenous supercomputer maker T-Platforms. It comes as no surprise that MSU has bulked up the math skills of the supercomputer, which is named after 18th …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

One thing that links American and Russian mentality

MORE POWERRRRRRRRR....

80KW+ per rack? You need an on site nuclear powerplant for that...

2. Flybert
    Thumb Up

nVintel™

not meaning to repeat what I've said a few times here .. however ..

Intel didn't pay nVidia $1.3 billion just to settle cross-patent and licensing, they paid for a mutually beneficial alliance where Intel is the x86 CPU and circuit process monster in the room, and nVidia is the GPU and ARM monster in the room

they are in a complimentary relationship that cannot be beat in the long term .. amiably paying each other for a bit of IP whether it's Intel for nVidia tech in GPU on Intel CPU dies or nVidia for Intel IP in basic circuit and process design for nVidia GPU and ARM fabrication ( simplifying the situation )

Supercomputer boards using off-the-shelf chips trickles down to servers and integrates to SoCs for PCs, tablets, phones and other devices .. nVintel™ will dominate within 2 years on more platforms than the consensus thinks now ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

I take it....

..you know that AMD license of Intel, Intel License of AMD, Nvidea license of AMD and AMD License off Nvidea.

If not, none of them could survive.

1. Flybert

yes AC ..

even know AMD got started in x86 under license with Intel to produce 8086 & 8088 chips for IBM, that required 2 sources

my point is that, rather than out of the general necessity to license some core IP that all chip designers and makers need .. Intel and nVidia are staying out of each other's way and will be complimenting each other's business

nVidia won it's right to produce iCore chipsets but is not doing so

Intel has an ARM license, but is not jumping into that business

both produce GPUs, though Intel's TechRep™ is well behind nVidia's in that game, Intel is not in the discrete GPU business and I doubt has resistance now to nVidia tech on it's future CPU dies ( if it's not already there in Sandy Bridge )

that Intel and nVidia have apparently decided to cooperate rather than compete against each other in areas they could and settled there legal differences, IMO .. is quite significant and puts AMD further behind in the CPU and GPU business

3. Inachu
    IT Angle

this is strange news to me.

What ever happened to export control. USed to be that we could not ship any technology to any country but now with NAFTA we can ship to almost any country and its like a instant upgrade for that country.

I still find this weird that Russia would have this much computing power.

1. Black Betty

Given that all the parts are basic PC components...

...there are no real barriers to their purchase.

How the buyer assembles them into a complete system IS NOT SUBJECT to the whims of paranoid 'Merkin spooks.

And a small newsflash. NEVER REALLY HAS BEEN.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Just what's needed....

... for the up-and-coming Bitcoin miner.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like