back to article iOS 5 files restoke iPad 3 retina display rumour

Evidence has emerged that a future iPad will sport a massive 1536 x 2048 resolution, though hopes that the next one will may be premature. Apple's new Twitter framework iOS 5 contains graphics files that extend to 2048 x 1536 pixels, reports website Techunwrapped. Newsstand, a special folder that corrals newspaper and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

So unnecessary

The extra cost, power drain, work for the CPU and GPU to do - why?

I'm all for better screens - far too many laptop manufacturers think it's okay to ship large, low res screens - but 2048x1536 in 10"? It's pointless. I understand they want to give it a wow factor, and they want to neatly scale things by doubling, but this is over the top.

Hell, 1400x1050 would be more than adequate.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Why

Can we get resolutions like this on ~10" screens for tablets, yet a laptop that costs anywhere between £100 and 700 sports a 1366 x 768 res on a 15" screen??

1. James Hughes 1

Er

Because we can't get these resolution in a 10" display yet?

(And won't for some time).

And what with this new fangled TallScreen display? No point in having the vres higher than the hres.

2. JaimieV

Lack of resolution independence

OSX and Windows have both toyed with resolution independence - scaling the various widgets to whatever PPI you like - but neither have really got it working.

Without OS support you don't get 2560x1440 15" screens, because without decent scaling built into the OS you wouldn't be able to read the screen from a normal position.

There have been similar hints that Apple might be looking at double-res screens in the nearish future for OSX Lion. I haven't heard of anything in Windows. Linux surely has many unpopular ways of doing it that won't have a chance of affecting the market.

3. Thomas 18

can we adopt a new measurement for retina display pls?

How about "retina display (12 inch)"

My gameboy advance has a retina display at 4 meters btw (tested it).

As it currently stands its a ridiculous measurement

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hurry up!

The quicker they get some new toys out the quicker I can get a cheapo 3GS off eBay to replace my aging 3G "knock-up". I like iPhones but buggered if I'm paying full whack for one from the Church. Knocked one up from three broken units off eBay for £55 and a £15 sim-card, sorted!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

I christen your creation...

... Frank-i-nstein (say: frank einstein).

More bad puns for free, any time you want them.

5. JeffyPooh
    WTF?

"...future-proofing its software..."

Why?

That's dumb.

There would be at least a half dozen updates between now and when the larger files would actually be required, so why would they include them early? They could roll the larger image files out when they're actually required. Doing so early is simply a waste. Dumb, not smart.

6. Peter 48
    Stop

will not happen ... ever

or could it have something to do with prepping the software to be output on a large computer monitor of screen? The next ipad won't have such a resolution, nor will any other following it. It is simply pointless. And can we please stop comparing everything to the "retina display". Retina display is a marketing gimmick and name and not an actual scientific term.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: will not happen ... ever

That is why we always put "Retina display" in quotes, Peter

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like