back to article Acer to dump 3 million laptops onto European market

Expect some great deals on Acer laptops in coming weeks. The Taiwanese giant has huge amounts of unsold stock to shift and looks set to flood Europe with more than three million machines. Where will the stock be dumped and at what cost? We will we know only when they turn up in store at prices too true to be good - for rival …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

At least they have warned everyone it's coming - I'm looking forward to buying a couple of 'spare' - maybe they'll even be cheap enough to run as media streamers running xblc.

2. hitmouse
    Megaphone

Acer was unavailable for comment at time of writing.

...and at any time of filing a complaint or a request for service.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

I've had good experience of Acer service

I bought a timeline 12 months ago which has had to go back twice (one failed disk, one failed memory module) but in both cases I got an almost instant acceptance of the case via the on-line system, my system was picked up the next day and returned repaired with a week.

Clearly it would have been better not to have had the failures in the first place but I think some of the criticism of their service department is either out of date or perhaps based on trying to organise a repair over the phone (which I haven't tried)

3. Jacqui

keyboards

So, various market stalls web vendors will have heaps of acer notepads with odd looking keyboards at a cut price?

4. AdamW
    Thumb Down

Wont buy

Acer support in the UK is crap, wont buy

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

And I still wouldn't buy one whatever the price...

Travelmate 4100 bought 5 years ago... FAT formatted, preloaded Windows software that can't cope with multiuser yet essential to configure the energy/CPU speed options, hinges bust, overheats, battery died well before time. Now dragged out the cupboard once in a blue moon.

Cheap (its main selling point) Acer GPS thingy preloaded with Destinator bought three years ago, became unusable within two years due to out of date maps and onboard software going slowly mental, no map upgrade options as Acer said it was Destinator's job and Destinator said it was Acer's job.

Wouldn't even consider buying another unless there there were several hundred posts here telling me they'd turned their quality round in the last couple of years and even then I'd be dubious.

Rant over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

acer

have turned their quality round in the last couple of years -

cheap and great -

we all have them at work now, better than Toshiba for reliability and much cheaper

2. Nigel 11

Snap

Having had repeated dealings with Acer's warranty department some years ago, I won't be tempted either. Cheap, but not at all cheerful.

1. hitmouse
        Unhappy

Warranty, what warranty?

Try using the Acer International Travel Warranty and see the disavowel of its existence when presented for service. No good complaining to Acer in the country of service, of purchase or to its HQ as you'll get no reply.

6. Stephen Hunt
    FAIL

Be sure to buy two..

As the first one will probably go caput within 6 months and you'll need the spares.

7. Ted Treen
    Thumb Up

Sounds good for some...

My advice? - grab 'em while they're there.

I'm fully Apple - but if these are the right price then it's got to be god news (for once) for the poor beleaguered user...

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Linux

A Spokesman for Dixons said

"We are aware [of the Acer situation] and awaiting more detail before making any decisions."

In other words,

We are looking forward to selling this heap of tat at a cool 200% markup.

9. Charles Calthrop
    Happy

can the reg do an article on good acer laptops to buy

any chance of a recommendation piece?

1. RichyS
      Stop

Answer:

None of them*

* I bought an Acer Aspire One a few years back. It's shit.

1. Number6

YMMV

My Aspire One is still happily working. It depends entirely on what your expectations were - I wouldn't want to do serious computing on that keyboard and screen, and I acquired a cordless mouse because it was easier than the trackpad, but as a quick way of checking email on the move, it's good. Mine is running Linux (but not the supplied distribution), perhaps it's crap with Windows.

At the moment it's sat on my desk as a basic Linux dev machine, talking to it using Cygwin-X on a windows machine so I get the benefit of a large screen and keyboard.

2. gerryg
        Thumb Up

I love my AAO

8 Gb SSD - dumped linpus running full fat openSUSE 11.3 wth Tumbleweed enabled (2.6.39) and KDE 4.6.4

I''d probably be better off with Xfce but it's not struggling (nor sprinting TBH) my moment of joy occurred last week when I switched off one known router and switched on another (don't ask) and my AAO seamless reconnected

battery is only 2.5 hours now - but I'd buy another couple tomorrow

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good for us laptop repair companies!!

Acer = cheap tat that breaks quickly = more business for me fixing them.

Bring them on (but ship to the UK please, not other Europeans)...

also, to the Chinese/Hong Kong ebayers - please stock up on cheap parts!!

11. Iain Purdie
    Happy

Really?

Surprised to read the anti-Acer comments on here as I've generally had good fortune with their products. No, I don't work for them! I had a problem with a flat screen monitor a few years back that was resolved quickly after an under-warranty, Acer-funded return to base. It broke down again a few months later and they swapped it for a new one. My only problem with that episode was CityLink losing the replacement... which Acer re-replaced.

My old Acer laptop purchased in late 2005 travelled with me around 56 countries when I backpacked. Yes, it's bowed in shape and one of the hinges is now held together with a small nut and bolt, but in fairness it was carried around in a barely padded backpack with far too much other stuff that literally bent it into a new shape! The battery now runs for 20 mins rather than the original 5 hours, but I used to run it off the mains all the time with the battery in - I know not to do that any more.

That experience alone made me look to Acer again when I wanted a replacement. I still use the old one as an XP workhorse alongside my shiny new one.

Having said that, it's electronics. I know there's as much chance of getting a duffer as of getting a perfect one :)

1. Nigel 11
      Thumb Down

After-sales service is what matters most

"I know there's as much chance of getting a duffer as of getting a perfect one"

Even I wouldn't rate Acer that low! But I'd far rather pay 10% more and get a product made by a company that sorts out its after-sales issues successfully, and without causing me unnecessary inconvenience.

To the person above who says Acer's improved, my comment is ... too late. It takes years to build a reputation, and minutes to destroy one. Plenty of other makes to choose from, why give the ones that screwed you a second chance? Perhaps I'll give Acer another try once all the others have also let me down ... but if they know what's good for business, they won't do that.

12. copsewood
    Linux

Acer Aspire One, just about working decidedly dodgy

Bought this about 2 years ago. Reloaded the OS 3 times. First time was to get rid of the braindead Limpus lite (well at least it proved Linux compatibility with all the hardware) and the other 2 times due to mysterious SSD corruption of the kind which never, ever affects the same rock solid Ubuntu OS running on spinning media. Keep a USB stick to reload the OS with it just in case now when needed. Had to get a travel mouse 3 weeks ago, because the trackpad thingie ceased to function altogether. Not very reliable, considering it gets used about 1 day in 4 on average.

13. Tom 7

Heading for Europe

why do I get the feeling that wont include the UK

1. Nigel 11
      Unhappy

Will include UK

Oh, it will include the UK. It's just that they'll make the same sort of UK mark-up on their discounted prices, that everyone else is making on their non-discounted UK prices.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don' thold your breath

as I doubt the asking prices won't be bargains, not unless Internet only specials.

I've had a few Acer factory refurbs & all been OK.

On the flip side have seen others die prematurely, and in one case, the wireless would not work out of the box even after all Windoze updates applied. Acer denied any problem, then 4 months later a new BIOS release notes had "Fix wireless card" in it!.

15. Marcus Aurelius
    Trollface

Who is up for

A complaint to the ITC about Acer dumping product on the market? - should result in a hefty fine to them....

16. JMcL

Quality

I've had an 1810tz for about 18 months at this stage and like it a lot. Build quality is good - it feels solid. It's got the portability of a netbook but a lot more grunt, and is easily capable of running Photoshop, Lightroom, and OpenOffice side by side without breaking into too much of a sweat.

My only bugbear would be the trackpad, which is frankly awful, but I prefer to use a cordless mouse anyway

17. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Very interesting

The last three laptops I've bought have all been Acer and all of them are going strong (all but one given to friends/family). One of them developed various faults (dodgy wifi and a mysterious power switch that went dodgy for a while) but none of them have ever let me down.

My current dual core model is only 18 months old and still plenty powerful enough but if they are going to be selling 'em cheap I'll happily upgrade.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cheaper still?

.. perhaps selling them OS-free would make them cheaper still?

19. Patrick R
    FAIL

Dead on arrival.

Been repairing them in a lab for a few months. About 1 in 3 parts we were receiving from Acer was DOA. I guess we were testing the dubious parts for them, (well that would cut costs, wouldn't it ?). Had to spend hours on the phone explaining to customers why their 10 days SLA had become 5 weeks nightmare.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like