back to article LG Optimus 3D dual core Android smartphone

Fancy a Nintendo 3DS so you can play 3D games on the move but don’t have the pocket space for a console and a mobile? LG has come up with an alternative in the (sizeable) shape of its Optimus 3D. Like the Nintendo games machine, this phone offers 3D without those darn glasses you need at the cinema. And it also has twin cameras …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. S Watts

sometimes...

Sometimes I just want to make a phone call...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

*splutter*

£525!!!

No wonder it sounds more like a normal PC (Dual core, screen resolutions, wifi etc). It's now priced like them too.

1. James Hughes 1

Er...

Think you can get a Twin core PC with monitor cheaper than that...

And it'll run Linux properly.

1. Filippo Silver badge

re: Er...

For that price, you can get a PC that runs Win7 pretty well...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You forgot a pitfall

"...and pitfalls (shockingly uneven app quality, occasionally geeky interface)."

You forgot the increasing number of malware payloads too.

What? Denialist downvotes? That'll be the fandroids for ya.

btw - I've got an HTC. And I like it.

1. A. Lewis

Paranoia

There's no risk at all on Android.

But just in case, would you care to download my TotallySecure 1.2 Android Doctor Security app? Totally legit. It must be good if you look at all the permissions you have to give it.

4. David Gosnell

Wasted opportunity

All that phone back at their disposal, and they put the two camera lenses just over an inch apart - about half the distance between my pupils for example. No wonder the 3D photos taken on it are so hit and miss.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

THE LG OPTIMUS 3D is a SEXY BEAST

I've used the phone and it is excellent. The steroscopic screen is breathtaking and the 3D camera is better than the fujifilm 3d cam. This phone is bloody awesome, the gaming is superb thanks to the Powersvrx 540 and TI OMAP 4 processor. Battery life on the phone was darn good too unlike on the HTC sensation. For God's sake you haters the phone is dual channel and dual memory whereas every dual core currently on the market is single channel. This phone pisses on the evo 3d.

5. TakeTheSkyRoad

I'm sorry but...

.... drool !! :)

Past experience tells me not to be an early adopter though and for this reason I won't be buying. Also I'm recently tied into a 2 year deal and awesome as it is over 500 quid is allot !

Will consider again in 2 years but photography I can see being a win for 3D :)

6. tmTM

3D?

Do we really need more things in 3D?

The movies are bad enough, and the stupid T.V's just make me laugh.

Sure the optimus 3D can display and run the necessary apps and videos, but you can't move it at all - which would prove quite hard if you wanted to actually use it and not just stare mindlessly at it.

If they wanted the phone to be for gaming and media why didn't they equip it with proper buttons like the xperia play.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: 3D?

"....why didn't they equip it with proper buttons like the xperia play."

Er, 'cos then they wouldn't be able to fleece you for another 500+ quid for the "Optimus 3D Game" in 12 months' time?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Sod the phone..

kudos for Dream Theater in the promo photos.

1. Jim McCafferty
      Pint

Ditto

Exactly what I was about to post......

1. Mr Ian
        Thumb Up

Ditto x2

Hehe, same :P

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

How about some examples

of "shockingly uneven app quality"?

Or is this just the usual iOS-user prejudice shining through?

I've got over 50 downloaded apps on my Android phone and couldn't even begin to rank them in terns of "quality". They all do what it says on the tin and do it well as do the vast majority of apps in the Market.

OK, the Facebook app is shite compared to the iOS one, I'll give you that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

Erm... if you think the facebook app on ios is better than the android one - then blimey it really must be bad.

I only had an android tablet to play with for a weekend - and I found lots of apps that were seemingly written/'designed' by blind monkeys.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

All Android phones have an overlay from the manufacturer

Really? What about the Google Nexus S or ZTE Blade?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

wp7

OK Test drive done, now offer us a version for wp7

11. miknik

3D phones

HTC Evo 3D looks like the one to beat, looking forward to a review of that.....

12. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Dual?

Never mind two cores.

Never mind two cameras.

What about two sim cards?

13. Guillermo Lo Coco
    FAIL

no gtalk VOICE & Video call

NO DEAL.

Are you telling me to spend 600€ and still cant make a SIMPLE CHAT VOICE CALL ?!!! WTF !!!

Shame on you LG. You have the ability to put Android 2.3.4 but you get the pant off in front of Vodafone.

Shame on you LG.

14. Oninoshiko
    WTF?

I know it's been mentioned

but does the review have ANY bearing on that "75%"? That was a pretty glowing review for a "75%" I know we have seen frankly abysmal reviews not even drop below "70", and some pretty bad ones even higher then "75." I'm starting to think you guys pull that number off Simon's calendar!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like