back to article Student suspended for posting random satire on YouTube

A Canadian student has been suspended from school and had the police sicced on him due to satirical animations that he posted to YouTube. Jack Christie, a 12th-grade student at the Donald A. Wilson Secondary School in Whitby, Ontario, Canada, created the videos in his own time, off-campus. His animations in the Jack Christie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Alpha Klutz

"detrimental to the positive moral tone of the school"

what a hoot.

there does seem to be a trend in western schools.

"you will not do anything against our rules while you are under our jurisdiction"

"things that are against our rules include; whatever we feel like at the time. Areas under our jurisdiction are; wherever you happen to be at the time"

Now I am going to go and stick my positive moral tone into a fleshlight. I hope my teacher doesn't find out.

1. Mediocrates
      Joke

Too Late

"Now I am going to go and stick my positive moral tone into a fleshlight. I hope my teacher doesn't find out."

You forgot to turn the secret webcam off.

2. Marvin the Martian
      Headmaster

Rules? What rules?

If you subscribe to a certain code, you agree to play by those rules; that seems a fair agreement.

So what you write, "you will not do anything against our rules while you are under our jurisdiction", should be answered by "yes".

Here however he's clearly not under their jurisdiction, he WAS not defaming the school or anything else that breaks that pact. So he WASN'T breaking any rules --- except possibly one of those unwritten (or so broad that they're effectively made-up retrospectively).

For example, we weren't allowed to smoke on the way home and/or when identifiable as pupils of the school; elsewhere and out of uniform you're obviously not under their jurisdiction (your parents' instead) so you cannot be told what to do.

That said, it's not clear to me why he's in that school --- of from any other place governed by a bunch that didn't foresee how this would play and disrupt their school as well as turn the school into a regional & international joke.

They are however probably preparing children very well for the world of 1950.

1. The Alpha Klutz

"elsewhere and out of uniform you're obviously not under their jurisdiction"

Well yes, that is exactly what SHOULD happen.

But more and more we are seeing schools getting involved where they are not welcome, on Internet forums and chat sites, spying on what their pupils say and taking them to task over it.

If the kid says something naughty, they get their butt kicked out of school.

It doesn't matter that to an outsider, there was absolutely nothing on the Internet that would have identified the kid as a pupil of school X.

It doesn't matter that the kid used his own equipment on his own time to exercise his own rights.

What matters is some busybody teacher saw a kid doing something s/he doesn't like. The teacher then proceeds to enact a personal vendetta against the kid by implementing the revocation of his or her education and qualifications - effectively a life sentence without trial - something that surely goes against every human right in the book.

And what do we do with these rouge teachers? We give them a promotion, a £150k salary, and put their name on a plaque for civic bravery. That crosses a line on the wrong side of "police state".

In a perfect world, something VERY different would happen to these "educators". And I wouldn't like to tell you what.

1. Galidron

£150k salary

"We give them a promotion, a £150k salary, and put their name on a plaque for civic bravery. "

Impressive. In the US a teacher outside of University would generally consider themselves lucky to make $40k a year.

3. leexgx
      Stop

against the law to induce an epileptic fit

warning to you as it's against the law to induce an epileptic fit and can result in an fine or jail time (same warning will goto the youtube poster as well to put an box on the video when it plays to show an warning or i get google to remove it)

you have 1 day to add an warning that the Youtube video has flashing in it, before i send it to the related authorities

4. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Because...

Schools are not there to teach kids anything, they are there to prepare kids for brainwashing by the industrial complex. Tests, at least up until 16 years of age, are just designed to ensure kids can spew facts verbatim with no thought for how answers are derives just so long as the answers are there. Kids will go out into the workplace and behave like good little citizens and not cause trouble by thinking for themselves. Any attempt at independent thought will be punished severely!

You will not attempt to show any sort of freedom of expression! If you attempt to reflect the true fact that life is, for the most part pretty pointless, you will be punished! You must not attempt to shine a light on society's follies! YOU WILL DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD!

"IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT, HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING! YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU HAVEN'T EATEN YOUR MEAT!"

All together now...

"All in all it was all just bricks in the wall."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Or as John Kay put it...

They call you when you're six years old, and drag you to the factory

To train your brain for eighteen years with a promise of security

And then you're free

And forty years you waste, to chase the dollar sign

So you may die in Florida at the pleasant age of 69

And there's nothing you or I can do, you and I are only two

What's right and wrong is hard to say, forget about it for today

We'll stick our heads into the sand, just pretend that all is grand

And hope that everything turns out OK.

2. The Alpha Klutz

the only important thing about school

Is which one you went to.

You can be the world's biggest dumb ass, but with the right name on your CV you'll still become president.

3. vincent himpe

que guitar solo....

no this post is not required and it must not contain letters as there is no verbally describing the awesomeness of that guitar solo in 'the wall'.

5. vincent himpe
      Childcatcher

exactly !

thou shallt always show a happy face and pretend to be a good citiczen. keep your criticism to yourself and indoors. We want to show off only good positive attitude and not hint at the festering pile of crud underneath...

2. LaeMing
    Flame

As a qualified school teacher myself, I have to say:

Some people should never ever ever EVER be allowed near the developing minds and morality of children.

This school board is an exact example of such people.

They should be put on some sort of child-abuse offender's register banning them for life from working with or near children. I am not joking, This really is THAT serious.

1. LaeMing
      Go

Also,

the animations themselves were very entertaining - early Southpark entertaining. Very clever and creative lad, there.

1. JohnG

South Park

Yeah - I immediately thought of South Park....and of the documentary made in the town said to be the inspiration - and that the local school declined to take part in the documentary.

2. Tim Roberts 1
      Thumb Up

as a teacher ....

I could not have said it better myself. Thanks!

3. cum grano salis
    Meh

typical

My money is on the student government chief not standing up to the threat of punishment and Christie supporters not walking out of school.

4. peyton?
    Devil

Wait a minute wait a minute

I don't believe he does all the different voices - this man has accomplices!

(read the following in the voice of the old wisewomen from Black Adder)

They'd better SUSPEND EVERYONE in the WORLD!!!

or something like that

5. Sandy106
    Big Brother

ABC123

Schools shouldnt be punishing kids for what they do off campus, end of story.

1. Marvin the Martian
      Coat

Except if done in relation to the school.

If you drunkenly ride around town shouting at people and wearing school uniform, then yes -- you should be suspended for stuff you do off campus.

Which was not the case here. But now it is of course... So I guess they're justified now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

don't do things that harm the school's morale...

...liiike, suspending students for youtube satire and threatening anyone who expresses support for him?

If only school administrators were consistent - then they'd suspend -themselves-.

School admins seem to be cut from the same cloth. I was run out of high school on a rail after I won a scholarship. They made a big deal out of it (small school)... but when I signed up for a physics course a year early, the admin and the guidance counselor who let me sign up got in a turf war, and I was thrown out of the class mid-semester. I protested, and people got pissed... the school's pride and joy scholarship winner getting thrown out of an advanced course made the admin look bad. So he made my life intolerable until i quit, went to a 2 year college, and got my GED instead. Best decision i made...

Funny thing is that it was a fairly crappy little scholarship. Any good high school would have had many winners. So all of this was over a stupid little scholarship - and I wasn't even a very good student!

7. jake Silver badge

Since when was it the school's job to take the roll of the parent?

Oh. Wait ... nanny state. I forgot.

1. Elmer Phud

Nanny?

Schools have a responsibility towards thier pupils.

Schools are often taken to task for not looking after the kids.

Parents frequently absolve themselves of any responsibility once their kid is in school and shit on teachers for not controlling their child.

The 'Nanny State' (something must be done, won't someone think of the children etc. etc) is what they are actually demanding but scream like fuck when it applies to the way they are found to be shit parents .

1. John G Imrie

Robby Williams

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/robbiewilliams/hellosir.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Don't get me started on this one (too late!)

Well, that exactly IS the school's job while pupils are under their authority. That is the meaning of 'in loco parentis' which was explained to us in junior school in the '60s. It was even made clear that parents had no 'right' to wander into the building and could be removed (if absolutely necessary by involving the police.) If a school is going to have its own ethos, apply its own values on its own premises, and thereby give a chance to children whose parents frankly don't give a shit, that is the only way to do it. All this stuff about 'breaking down barriers between school and home' is rubbish and needs to be stopped dead.

As for the specific case in Canada: what a bitch!

1. jake Silver badge

Earth to idiots, re-read this bit: "on his own time, off campus".

That means PARENTAL responsibility applies. Not school district responsibility. But I think you'll find that (according to the article), he is 18 years old and an adult (by law) in his own right. If I were in his shoes, I'd take out the entire local school board[1] for their heavy handed, illegal tactics.

My mind boggles at how many people seem to not only enjoy the nanny state, but actually invite it into their lives ...

Ms Bee, are you absolutely certain that "sheeple" is a cuss word?

[1] Oh, to be in my late teens again ...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

loco parentis??

I think you'll find this does nicely in UK schools...

8. BoscoH
    Megaphone

Hope he can monetize this. Scoreboard, b*tches.

Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Your an idiot right ?

"a 12th-grade student at the Donald A. Wilson Secondary School in Whitby, Ontario, Canada"

1. DAN*tastik
        Headmaster

His an idiot, right?

"You can't read!" - said the guy who can't spell.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Michael Kean
    Happy

This reminds me of...

.. that old movie "Pump up the volume"

How long before he hacks the school PA :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100436/

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

School is School, Out of School is out of School

A school can have rules and some of those rules, like company policies can be restrictive on what a person can do on the companies time in companies facilities if the person wishes to remain at that school / employed by the company.

Also a company / school can also have policy clauses that would entitle it to take action if the behaviour of said employee /pupil outside of the school / company impacted negatively on that company / school that caused it to suffer harm.

Ignorance of those rules like laws isn't always an excuse BUT unlike laws there is a duty of care for the organisation to make its rules readily and freely available.

HOWEVER should they choose to take action against a person for either of the above two situations they better be sure that their policies / rules are within the greater national / state law and in taking action against and person, like this school board, they don't themselves cause the organisation to suffer harm above and beyond that which they perceived to have been caused by the person they are seeking to discipline.

I'd hazard a guess that this School Board is has been ill-advised as to its own importance, its duty of care, its authority and whether its actions are within the law.

I hope that someone helps this kid to take them to legal cleaners and to further compound the irony makes his video more famous. Maybe they will think twice about flexing muscles they don't actually have next time.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Have we been trolled?

is this for real or is it just another viral marketing trick?

13. johnwerneken

Mr Magenta

That young man is a treasure. Hands off him!

1. Jimbo 6
      Happy

> Ye Title <

LEAVE !

CHRISTIE !

ALOOOOOOOONE !!!

HE'S A BEAUTIFUL PERSON !!! JUST LEAVE... HIM... ALONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

See also

Morse v. Frederick ("Bong hits for Jesus"). I am a teacher too, and have to agree with LaeMing. Authoritarianism has no longer any place in public education, and those who practice it should be laughed out of the business.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

LOOK AT THE PUPPET!!

Look at the Puppet!!

Yep. I'm convinced.

16. Roger Stenning
    Pint

Well, he just made his career, anmyhow :)

Stuff what the school board (yeah, respell that to b-o-r-e-d and you have a rough idea of their coolective IQ, I suspect) thinks, I reckon this lad has a career in animation and comedy, if he isn't sucked up into politics first ;-)

"Watch the f****** puppet die" rofl *veg*

17. G Wilson

Why We Must Disestablish School

Educationalist authoritarianism or feverish marketing: Ivan Illich had a point: "the institutionalization of values leads inevitably to physical pollution, social polarization, and psychological impotence"

http://deschoolingsociety.digress.it/

18. Tom 7

Personall I blame the MPAA

cant have people making quality film without their permission - would blow all their arguments out of the water.

19. Andus McCoatover

They'll get him...

...for the music on the video's I guess....

20. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Bravo Jack.

May the Streisand effect make you very rich, and may your pompous, incompetent school officials end up as paupers in the workhouse they are trying to build.

(Incidentally, whatever happened to Mrs. Dunn? Is she still teaching? Does she still drive a Toyota?...)

21. david 63

If it is for real...

...I hope someone gives him a job where he is paid more than the whole fucking school board.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Facepalm

Pretty sure the school bored is unpaid

And worth half as much.

22. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

Small minded, wanna-be, bureaucrats

Reminds me of my own end-time at high school.....

Fuck em!

23. Robert Simpson
    Mushroom

What's a title?

This is eerily similar to how I ended up "leaving" school back in '99.

24. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

What's the fuss about?

http://www.youtube.com/user/CapnJack222#p/u

Just wanted to provide the URL for the 4 horrendous videos. Everyone knows that creativity is a thought crime these days. I just didn't know they were already including Canada.

Dare I say that nothing good will come of this? Of course I'm referring to the mindless censorship.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Paris Hilton

And as expected...

The number of views has gone way up as result of the school bored's actions. Still surprised there were only three videos involved (originally). Proverbial tempest in a teapot.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Just had a look at this stuff....

...and the lad is clearly gifted and could make something of himself in this genre.

Also bashed of an email to the school supporting him and suggesting that they don't realise how much grief is headed their way now that this is circulating on the net.

Be interesting to see if they bother giving me a reply.

Fun fun fun!

26. Davey Bee

Idiots

I like this guy's work. The school should be pleased they've got a talented student, and helping him develop, ffs - not throwing him out.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I must be getting old

cos I watch all four and thought they were a load of tosh.

1. Ole Juul

I am old

I might agree on the videos, but they weren't made for me and my opinion doesn't count. I'm still cheering for the kid.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I must be getting old

Obviously not too old. I only managed two of them, and even then, not all the way through.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Canidiots

The response to the school board is my personal favourite

29. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Jurisdicition the world

So it took place outside the school. There is no connection with the school. But the school has jurisdiction.

So why again can likes of Twitter not be sued for contempt of court in USA over super injunctions again? Using this school logic of jurisdiction there should not be a problem.

Just makes you wonder if they have same sort views when it over bullying?

Ow please, South Park take the piss out of this school.

30. Clive Galway
    FAIL

Epic FAIL

@They'll get him... - Nah, that's fair use.

Well that one backfired horribly. They were "concerned" for the image of the school, but screwed it up so badly that they portrayed an even worse image of the school *world- wide*.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Epic indeed

This is one of the few cases where something described as an Epic Fail really was epic. If they had hired someone to deliberately fail they couldn't have done better. An awesome spectacle of fucktardery. I really don't know what they were thinking and am genuinely impressed and amused.

31. cocknee
    Headmaster

Could do better!

This is so typical of mediocre administrators and petty useless managers or teachers that are incapable of doing their allotted job.

They show their authority by bullying or demeaning others, or hiding behind petty bureaucracy.

This is a distinctly average school

http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/Donald_A_Wilson_Secondary_School/Whitby/Report_Card.aspx

I suggest they concentrate on getting their grades up rather than punishing creativity, something the management is obviously lacking!

Resign, resign, resign!

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Anyway, who IS Donald A. WIlson?

My guess, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Wilson_(Canadian_football)

In Canadian football, you don't tackle for the ball, you ask. Otherwise, it's the game as you know it.

2. LateNightLarry
      FAIL

Could Do Better...

It's not only average, the administration doesn't even have the excuse to fall back on that it has too many English learners (ESL - 1%) that many schools in California can use, yet the California schools are making progress. It appears that Wilson Secondary is barely maintaining it's ranking over the past several years.

The administrations response to this student's EXTRA-CURRICULAR activities reminds me of the Zero Tolerance (ZT) response of many US school adminstrators. A six year old boy suspended from school and the police called in because he drew PICTURES of guns. Another boy suspended because he had a 2" high plastic figurine of a soldier carrying a molded plastic gun (no opening in the barrel). The one that takes the cake though, is the actions of the principal when a teen girl was raped in the school restroom and the principal not only refused to call the police or send the girl to the hospital for an examination, he sent the boy home to change clothes. The girl was sent to the counselor's office after several hours, and the counselor IMMEDIATELY took her to the emergency room then called the police. Of course, the principal stonewalled the police, but the story got out, and the principal is now under investigation of charges which could lead to prison time for interfering with a crime scene, failure to report a crime, and other serious charges. My personal opinion on the case is the principal AND the boy should spend some serious time in prison/juvenile hall, and the principal and certain other staff members should lose their teaching credentials and barred from working with children.

FAIL, because the administration of both schools are abject failures at their job.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He'll go far

By chance, yesterday I was looking at "professional" animated marketing video production. It's expensive, and much of it is crap. Irrespective of the content, this guy clearly has skills that are in demand and that pay well. He should forget about school and set himself up doing this professionally for a couple of years, and save the cash for the rest of his education.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Free Speech

Does not exist in Canada. A lot of Canadians make the mistake of thinking so, since free speech in enshrined in the U.S. Constitution and huge amounts of US culture (if there is any) spills over into Canada. While freedom of speech is in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), it does not exist in the legal codes of Canada, Britain nor most (if not all) Eu countries.

1. Chad H.
      WTF?

Are you sure about that?

I'm neither a Lawyer, nor Canadian, but the Charter of Rights and freedoms seems to cover this:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

Okay, so it doesnt say "Freedom of Speech" - but Surely this is implied in "Freedom of Expression".

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/charter/page-1.html#anchorbo-ga:l_I-gb:s_1

1. Keith Williams
        Thumb Down

Yeah, right

Did anyone here hear about the G20 Thugs aka police who assaulted peaceful demonstrators in the Safe Demonstration area, and people who were standing around watching peaceful demonstrations? Yes, there were bad demonstrators dressed in black, but they were few and far between and certainly did not represent more than a tiny minority of those who were demonstrating. Cops were caught on film assaulting people and the other cops were "unable to identify them". Freedom of expression etc is fine as long as you don't piss off the authorities.

34. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

School Officials that skipped History 101?

Farking Gestapo!!

Young Mr. Student should hire a lawyer and sue their @$$e$ for clear-cut violation of his fundamental Charter rights. It seems to me that he should be in his own house and mortgage-free as the final outcome.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

"we don't need no education"

"We don't need no thought control

No dark sarcasm in the classroom

Teacher's leave those kids alone

Hey teacher's! Leave those kids alone!"

I wonder why have I immediately thought of this Pink Floyd song?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the next line should be:

"All in all you're just another prick in the (school) board"

36. raving angry loony

not... quite.

According to THIS article (http://www.durhamregion.com/news/whitby/article/178636), the videos were made for school, some were shown in school, and even submitted as part of class assignments.

Hardly the "nothing to do with school" we're led to believe.

Still, the school does seem to be making sure that more people view the videos than would have otherwise.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

Maybe Christie needs to check his passport, from the school's reaction he may have woken up in China by mistake, better get back to Canada!

38. William Boyle
    Terminator

As my sister would say ... Brill!

I watched 4 of his animations, and have to say, he is waaaay beyond the intellectual level of the school board (+10 zillion vs -10 zillion)! Too bad they haven't a clue... :rolleyes:

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure the internet is full of questionable stuff made by high schoolers...

If I had Youtube at his age, I would have put all sorts of crap up there.

His cartoons aren't my thing, but he clearly has some talent.

Smart kids don't do too well in school. Because schools are more interested in teaching the dumb ones. It'd be nice if they could do both. Thankfully the kid's going to come out ahead in this.

40. Tatsky
    Thumb Up

They did him a favour

The lad obviously has a talent, and now with their stupidity they have helped bring him world wide attention.

I hope he goes far. would be great to see him in 5 years time with a mainstream animated movie release, and this story coming up again making the school board look like total pricks

41. Rampant Spaniel
    FAIL

Pompous Dinosaurs.

Seriously, in general no contract is valid if it is fundamentally unfair right? Even in Canada. This guy has some talent which could see him go far. Instead of nurturing it and maybe having an alumni go on to create the next "kids in the halls" they have made themselves a laughing stock worldwide. I don't think KITH actually caused any squished heads either :(

Epic fail from a bunch of pompous dinosaurs.

1. Just Thinking

Kids in the hall

What happened to them? Funniest thing to come out of Canada since Leonard Cohen.

I still sometimes sit in meetings, one eye closed, squashing heads and pinching faces and nobody seems to have a clue what I am doing.

1. Jolyon

I squish you.

If I didn't squish the many, many people who blight my daily business, I'd go insane.

42. Brian 6
    Meh

Talented ?

Talented ? He drew a stick man and put it on Utube... Thats what passes for talent, god help us.

1. Lonesome Twin

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

...he drew a short but focussed animation which put his (and most of the rest of the world) views across with both venom and humour. You could do better?

1. Brian 6
        Meh

@Lonesome Twin

Yeah I could do a lot better. Freedom of speech doesn't mean u have to be a twat in public. And telling everyone to go F themselves is not clever. As for him having views that match "most of the rest of the world..." Im sure most of the rest of the world can speak for themselves.

1. Liam Johnson

@Brian 6

>>Yeah I could do a lot better.

Please post links.

Thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

@Brian6

I'd also appreciate seeing your work!

43. Doug Glass
    Go

The New Gestapo

Western school officials: "outside the government; beyond the police".

44. Lonesome Twin
    Big Brother

Education for life

I'd urge people to visit http://wilson.ddsbschools.ca/ and inhale deeply of their new 'scent guidelines', so that we may take a further step on the road to the neutral, thought free, homogenous society.

The only thing Orwell got wrong was the date.

45. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Yeah, what is it with these no-talent comedians?

I hear Seinfeld can't even draw stick men. And don't get me started on Lenny Bruce. That guy used to just smear his own shit on the walls.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This just in...

It seems that the schools communications webpage has been hacked. Who'd have thunk it?

47. RW
    Mushroom

Canada

IIRC (and I may be mistaken), random drug tests of employees are illegal in Canada because the drug consumption may have occurred out of work hours, and what someone does outside of work is no business of the employer. Or to put it another way, an employer's mandate doesn't include enforcing laws in general. That's the coppers' job.

Moreover since marijuana is the most common drug tested for and medical marijuana is quasi-legal in Canada, puffing on a reefer after work may be nothing more than taking your medicine.

By analogy, it is none of the school board's business what this kid did outside school, and they may very well be abridging his right to freedom of speech. I'd love to see a law suit that takes the school board to the cleaners, *and* a complaint to the relevant Human Rights Commission to really tie them in knots. It would add piquancy if the suit was not only against the school board, but against the individuals on it personally.

If the school board has any gumption, the persons who instituted, aided, and abetted this nonsense will be moved to positions where they have no input whatsoever into student discipline.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord.

48. kissingthecarpet
    Unhappy

There seems to be no audio

on some of his YouTube vids . I don't think its my machine.Perhaps google have removed it. If you can hear audio after this post datestamp, then please correct my impression.

49. Doc Tourneau

Canada used to be a cradle of comedy

This, from the country that gave us SCTV, The Kids in the Hall, and SNL's Lorne Michaels? From whence came Seth Rogan, Mike Myers, Norm McDonald, Dan Aykroyd, Phil Hartman, Will Arnett, Tony Chong, and even Tom Green? What the Frog, Canada?

50. Charles Osborne

I'm a cranky old white guy...

...but I got more than a few snorts and chortles from the young gent's videos. (The timing on the WmHCJrPhD insert was perfect -- Fire on, Jack!)

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This'll go the way of...

... Dayton View Academy, and of William Poole of zombie story fame. I.e. nothing will change, there will be no uprising.

Dayton View Academy still has a suspended schoolgirl who reported a sex act on a bus that can't attend her prom, and William Poole despite being cleared of all charges, got 2 years probation because he broke a condition of his bail whilst under charges that did not legally exist.

Forget everything you see here, and move along.

52. pjcard
    Facepalm

They should applaud him

Kid decides instead of doing all the usual anti-social things teenagers get blamed for he makes, polished, popular videos and shares them with the world. The school should be applauding him, not punishing him. I hope they get sued. The fact that it's not to their taste is irrelevant (hint: it wasn't made for them, or given to them, or associated with them)

And AFAIK schools in the UK aren't legally in loco parentis, they are considered responsible for them, which actually makes things harder (i.e., in the event an accident it is there legal duty to ensure they have a way to contact the parents or those actually in loco parentis to make decisions)

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Human rights: how they (fail to) work

A kid at school is not allowed to legitimately disseminate his creativity out of school hours.

Meanwhile, convicts play video games and broswe porn all day, paid for by tax payer money, because not letting them would be against their human rights.

And soon we'll be wondering "hmmm, something seems to have gone wrong, but I can't quite put my finger on it". The good news is that it'll funnel few million pounds on years of surveys and research, think about the half dozen jobs it will create.

54. ShadowDragon8685
    Go

Well, what's this then?

I found his videos (I watched the Feheely 6900 and his Address to the Board) to be funny. Crudely-animated, yes, but animation is the window dressing to humor, nothing more, and in these videos, the crudeness of the animation actually works in his favor. His videos got outright laughs and giggles out of me.

It seems to me that his school board is clearly in the wrong here. Perhaps they've been paying too much attention south of the border (IE, at the country where I live :( ) and decided to claim the kind of absurd authority unto themselves that American schools get away with claiming.

I hope he takes them to court and the court reams the a new one. Using a lot of vulgar and juvenile humor is not, to my understanding, a crime in Canada. Either way, I do find it amusing that their attempt to punish him has gotten the young Mr. Christie world-wide attention. Hopefully he'll be snatched up by some 'renegade' advertising or comedy group and leave these tossers high and dry.

55. Miek

No title here!

What's the bet that Andrea Pidwerbecki gets dismissed rather soon?

56. Haku

No Bully Zone

Bloody cheek of the school, the board suspend the kid for something he didn't do in school and they have a link on their front page of their website to a No Bully Zone pdf

http://wilson.ddsbschools.ca/

(can we have a Pot&Kettle hypocracy icon please)

57. PershingDriver
    Big Brother

reminds me of the time in High School

When they tried to force all the students to sign a form saying they would not bring weapons to school or fight.

Of the 2500 student body I was the only one who refused and was sent to the principal’s office to be suspended. The principle (who I really did respect) tried to coerce me into signing at which point I explained I would not sign on the basis that I have the inalienable right to life and therefore the right to defend that life. I also pointed out that a document signed under coercion was worthless and they had just made all the other documents equally worthless. On top of which minors cannot sign legal documents anyhow.

When they brought up that I was the only one who refused to sign I pointed out to them that perhaps their civics classes were not working quite as well as they should and that perhaps they should consider teaching people how to think instead of how to be a sheep. They then threatened to call my mother so I dialed the number for them and after listening she told them quite colorfully where they could put their document. The principle then let the matter drop and I was allowed to return to class.

58. cjh

This is embarrassing

[written to the head of the Durham Board of education, where I attended High School]

Hi. I'm Caleb Howard, a graduate of Uxbridge Secondary School's class of 1984. I just read of the ridiculous persecution of Jack Christie (a student at Donald A Wilson SS in Whitby). I read about this in a UK news source (www.theregister.co.uk).

How embarrassing. Aren't you embarrassed? I'm embarrassed.

As a graduate from a Durham regional school, and having worked in the US, Japan, the UK, and Canada, I have always spoken with pride about my national heritage. You've diminished my pride - in my high-school, in my district, and in my country.

How foolish you have been. Please issue a public apology to Mr. Christie, and reinstate him at once. Also, please apologize to all the people who have been embarrassed by your asinine decision.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Caleb J. Howard

Vancouver, BC.

P.S. I am posting this letter in the comments section of the Register, as well as posting it together with a link to the story in my FaceBook account, and issuing an apology on behalf of all embarrassed Canadians throughout the world.

59. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Lol

I watched that a few days ago and it had 500 odd hits, its now on 85k! thats trully some achievment, anyone got a Facebook page setup? im quite intrested in seeing how badly this turns out for the school :)

60. Sam Therapy
    Mushroom

WTF?

How on earth is their action legal and how the hell do idiots like these get into positions of authority?

Back when I was at school, if they'd try to restrict what I did in my own time I'd have told 'em to take a flying fuck.

61. Mark Eccleston
    Thumb Down

Well I am now on the fence.

I went and viewed his videos. The first was ok. The 2nd he references his teacher and starts with the following statement:

"Mr. Feneley gave me an early presentation date because he is sick and tired of me not showing up to class. In retaliation, I made this film as taboo and unrelated to the project as possible.

Enjoy, you short-fused bastard."

The video segment ends with him exploding his teacher with laser beams.

62. jgb

EVERYONE'S toys fiy out of the prams!

If Mr Christie had taken out all the F words and shouting but left everything else (ESPECIALLY the irony and bile) in the message to the school board, being small-minded and not very bright, their reaction would probably have been the same. THEN someone at a higher level would have intervened the next day (or hour!), sacked them and reinstated Mr Christie.

As it is, the School Board can stand on their 'principles' such as 'protecting the good name of the school' from 'abuse' with a small measure of legitimacy. Giving them that as a gift was a silly mistake.

In reality, no-one comes out of this very well. They're ALL exposed as a bit juvenile. I guess Mr Christie is the only one with an excuse!

63. Mike123456
    FAIL

It's ironic then..

That the School's website has a 'No Bullying' message on it's home page.

Surely, the school's actions are bullying in the extreme?

this may have been said already, but I cannot read all the posts at work...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like