back to article Gamers celebrate full return of PlayStation network

The PlayStation network is back in business, hip hip hooray. Sony PS3 Slim Sony announced today that the full restoration has begun, fulfilling a promise made a few days ago that all services would be up and running before the week was up. Of course, the company had already broken the promise made prior that all would be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Oh good.

The comment section will see a drop in the amount of State Hailing as the welfare check receivers will have something to do.

1. Citizen Kaned

oooooh handbags....

actually i didnt realise the xbox network was down? :)

i still will not pay via there system for a long time. i dont trust it any more. luckily i changed my debit card just before it went down so no problem there. just change email details.

i still dont trust it to stay up long. whats the best its down by end of the month?

2. Greg J Preece

Oh good, snobbery

Do only the poor, unfortunate proles play those silly video games, then?

2. SteveBalmer
    Facepalm

Advised cancellation?

Don't know where you got that from, right from the outset banks were telling people NOT to cancel their cards, and Sony were pointing out that CC details were not taken..

The only people spinning it otherwise, were sites like this...

1. Shaun 1
      FAIL

Title

I thought at one point Sony were saying they weren't sure if the CC details had been taken

"In an interview with Game Hunters last week, Sony CEO Howard Stringer said the company was still unsure whether credit card data had been swiped during the breach."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/05/sonys-identity-theft-offer-for-psn-users-now-available/1

2. DrXym

Vagueness didn't help

I think the issue is Sony issued statements such as the database *may* have been stolen so people assumed the worst even though the CC info was encrypted and lacking the security code. It was bad enough that they didn't know what got lifted and therefore had to extend their worst case scenario to cover it.

My own opinion is that cancelling a card is too much bother when there is no certainty it was even stolen. It's Visa's money to lose anyway so I assume they're monitoring the cards for suspicious activity already. If the card does get used for unauthorized transactions I'll ring up the bank and get a new one then.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Yay! Hurray! PSN is back up.

Wait a minute. I have a PC. I don't use console embedded communications to talk to my friends or expose my CC number to the world.

Yay! Hurray!

4. Anon the mouse

Intermittent errors

There are some intermittent errors with trying to load

a) the PSN store

b) pages within the store

I guess 70million people want their free games

Shame there is no welcome back program items in the store yet.

5. janimal
    Thumb Down

Not all joy & roses

PS Store might be working, but those useless wankers at EA still won't accept my pass code for Shift 2 and attempting to login to EA to contact support has so far wasted 30 minutes of my life.

I hate EA so much

6. Citizen Kaned

PSN down again

just tried to login on killzone3 forums - down for maintenance!

7. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

@DrXym

"My own opinion is that cancelling a card is too much bother when there is no certainty it was even stolen. It's Visa's money to lose anyway"

No! It's the poor merchant which will lose out when Visa issues a charge back.

8. David 105

I'm probably being dense

but how do you go about claiming your free stuff? There's no clues on the PSN pages, or in the store, and the PSN website is being singularly unhelpful

1. Thecowking
      Paris Hilton

If you're dense

then so am I, I have no clue.

Of course it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I'm being dense, quite the opposite in fact.

2. Greg J Preece

It's not there yet

I read an article somewhere else - the PSN store is back but the Welcome Back package is yet to launch. Another couple of days to wait. PSN+ bonus membership time has been extended from 60 to 70 days.

3. Tom 260

Not yet

Apparently this content is still undergoing testing, since it is stuff already on PSN, I'm assuming they mean the servers that will let millions download this at once are being tested, rather than the content itself. They also seem to be holding off upgrading regular accounts to their free month of PS+ until this point too.

1. David 105

That's a relief

I wouldn't put it past Sony to release the free stuff as quietly as possible and do as little to draw attention to it as humanly possible.

9. Mark McC

"The server is currently down for maintenance."

Their definition of 'full restoration' doesn't quite align with mine

10. Elmer Phud
    WTF?

Yesterday's News

And toddy we find it's been pwnd --AGAIN!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Free stuff??

So far Sony have not delivered the promised free stuff.

If you want a copy of infamous you can get in the store . . . . . its £21

I'm not too fussed with the free stuff but breaking promises is a shameful act. This dishonors the entire Sony name and shames their ancestors.

12. Dropper
    Unhappy

uhuh

I wouldn't count on Visa or anyone else returning your money without a struggle. Most card companies, especially banks, just tell you to call the merchants that charged the card and ask for a refund. This is especially useful when you have a list of Chinese mail order companies on your credit card statement. Telling them you don't speak Chinese doesn't seem to be a concern of theirs, apparently it's still your responsibility to get the vendors to refund fraudulent transactions.

13. Jolyon Smith
    Mushroom

We've been PLAYING online for weeks already...

"Don't worry, you'll be able to rejoin those virtual squadrons soon"

... it was only the store and other services that took a bit longer to bring back up.

Reg should stop covering this story or sack the "correspondents" who have done so ... the bias and lack of knowledge on the matters on which they claim to speak and proffer forth firm opinion unsupported by anything as tiresome as facts is not doing The Register ANY favours.

Or perhaps I detect the green tinge of jealousy? I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Reg's correspondent(s) on this found their XBoxes were borked by the recent Microsoft firmware update, or perhaps had yet another RRoD. Maybe.

1. Greg J Preece

Uh...huh...

Not that I like the X-box much, but did you *see* the way El Reg laid into the RROD problem? You really do come across as a fanboy in your post. Someone had a go at PSN? Obviously they're X-box adoring shills.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like