back to article Folder Organizer

Bought an iPhone or Windows Phone 7 handset but don’t like the UI? Tough tomato. Bought an Android phone but don’t like the UI? Change it. And what better app to help you on your way than Folder Organizer, one of the most versatile, stable yet unobtrusive applications you will ever download. Folder Organizer    Folder …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BigGdog
    Thumb Down

Why?

Why would anyone want to get rid of gingerbread's UI and replace it with a cheap IOS knock off?

1. frank ly
      Thumb Up

Because...

.... we all have our own ideas and personal preferences for how a UI 'works'. Also, some of us are set in our ways and would like to have the same UI paradigm (sorry) running on all our computing devices.

I've got Froyo on an HTC Wildfire and you can't put a folder inside another folder; which was a big disappointment for me (maybe I should get a life?). So, I'll be having a play with this because it's cheap enough to throw away and forget if it turns out that I don't like it.

2. Matt_V

Think the terminology of the review may be a bit misleading..

after reading the review I can see what you mean but FO doesn't change the whole UI (at least it didn't the last time I used it) It simply allows you to group many apps into one folder on your desktop and then customise the look and feel of that folder, the rest of the UI on the phone stays the same.

Personally I found the (admitedly very small) lag between tapping the icon and getting the list of apps was annoying but I think that's probably due more to my legends CPU than the app itself..

3. Matt Siddall

Customiseable is good

but the big downside I can see with this is it's size. As it runs widgets, you can't put it on your SD card, and 5+ MB is a hefty chunk of internal memory. Otherwise looks good though...

4. barryf
    Thumb Up

My favourite app

I have been using FO for almost 2 years now, and it is the first thing I install on a new phone. I pretty much only ever use the main home screen, as FO makes all my apps just two presses away with no swiping and wondering where apps are.

5. Patrick O'Reilly

Why?

Android has folder support built in, why bother with this iOS knock off?

1. LomaxFairchild

Better than stock Android folders

FO allows you to customise the folder icon, making it a lot easier to find what you're looking for.

Also, unlike the stock Android folders, an open FO folder resizes itself to fit its contents, making it much easier to click the background to close the folder (useful for us cack-handers where the close button is a bit of a stretch).

2. Argh

Rearranging

For one, I hate that you can't rearrange icons in Android folders. I get a new app that I use a lot, and it's stuck at the bottom of my folder list when i'd like it in the mid-right side, right next to my thumb for the most efficient start. I haven't tried this app, but it sounds like it should handle it.

The only work around to this with default Android folders is to remove all the other items and re-add them in the order you want. Clunky.

Some people (not me) also care about how consistent their phone looks, or want to make it unique. They'll redo all the icons for their apps in a consistent style that they're happy with.

1. rufioh
        Unhappy

Curse you Nexus One

This looks like something I'd really like to have, given Android's incredibly poor implementation of folders, as described by "Argh".

Sadly, the volume of app storage on my Nexus One means that I'm stuck in the '00s worrying about 5MB of space.

Might pick it up regardless, see if it's worth sacrificing the space for.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like