back to article Vodafone sends Manchester back to the 90s

Vodafone customers in Greater Manchester are having to rely on 2G services as a hardware fault has brought down the whole area's 3G coverage. Users of the 3G network are reporting dropped calls and incoming connections being routed direct to voice mail, though switching the handset to use 2G, GSM, seems to fix the problem. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Cooksey

Not just Manchester

London too

Vodafone told me their whole 3g network is down, has been for 2 days and they have no resolution estimate.

Poor show.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not only manchester but not everywhere either!

Well not all of it as I am using it right now in the southeast..... and it was working fine yesterday too.

3. adam roberts
    Gates Horns

iphone?

At least people will be able to experience how fast the iphone is GPRS youtube day for yodaphone.

4. Sampler

RE: Alex Cooksey

Whole 3G network for the past two days huh? Odd how I was in Sheffield visiting some field workers and all had perfectly fine 3G connections - in fact as the direct tech support for our six field operation departmens operating from Glasgow down to Croyden not one has been on contact to mention loss of 3G connection - and trust me they would be in touch!

Was even talking to one this morning who mentioed everything's going fine.

5. Dawid Lorenz

Not only Vodafone...

T-Mobile's 3G problems are quite common lately, at least in London area - and I'm a little bit surprised that TheReg never mentions it. For example, yesterday and before yesterday 3G data was virtually unusable, while voice calls were ok. If I wanted to acces Gmail in my mobile's browser, or any other mobile site - phone actually DID set up data session, but page was never loaded. Friend of mine, with different handset on T-Mobile had the same issues. It all came back to normal yesterday afternoon, but it also proves T-Mobile has serious (but still quiet) issues with their 3G sometimes...

6. Alex Cooksey

@ Sampler

Fair enough - I was just going on what I was told.

Certainly I've been out for 2 days, but it works if you have gsm turned on and displays the 3g logo. I only really noticed cos mobile TV wasn't working.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

T-Mobile too...

Nothing new, like Dawid Lorenz I have had a number of 3G only issues on the T-Mobile network (Also in London, not yesterday though)

Still, It made for a nice quiet day!

Wonder why T-Mobile one's never make it here....

8. Dave

Bad service

Bad call success rate? going straight to voice mail? dropping the call straight away? 3G absolutely awful?

Welcome to a day in the life of a T-Mobile customer - the server really is quite shocking, but i put up with it as i get 2gb of data for £5 a month

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Matt Bacon
    Thumb Down

Not just Manchester

I'm in Kentish Town in London and we've not been able to use the 3G Network all day. Have managed to switch to GSM so I can make calls. Not impressed.

11. Sampler
    Go

Back on

Have just been on the blower to them to return a duff 3g PCMCIA card and asked them about Manchester and apparently it's all back on - which is handy as we're working out there tomorrow.

We use 3G/GPRS for interviewing people over the web so a drop of the 3G signal to GPRS will be /very/ noticable due to the pages taking several minutes to load as opposed to the minute they do now - roll on a proper HSPDA rollout!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Second time we've been hit by Voda in two months!

Hmmm, back to the 90s - Madchester? ...it's "twisting my melon man"!

13. Alex
    Stop

HUH?

That can't be right.. Was on the 3G card all yesterday... Nope, that can't be quite true. I know that O2 have absolutely no 3G access in Manc, but Yoda was working fine at Harbour City from 7am to about 6pm yesterday (29th).

Hmmm, puzzling.

14. pctechxp

Not just Voda or t-mobile

O2 was down too yesterday.

15. Christopher A Newman
    Unhappy

O2

Nope O2 was fine yesterday. Used to be on Vodafone and their 3G coverage was absolutely rubbish. Now on O2 and 3G coverage is much better and got free videocalling too which is nice! Voda are rubbish and a rip off. The sooner everyone realises that the better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like