back to article Modern Warfare 3 prompts hand-wringing, chiming cash tills

Activision's next best seller, Modern Warfare 3, has barely been announced, yet already the hype machine is in full throttle. A series of short MW3 teasers released this week, gave fans their first look at what to expect from the game - and immediately caused outrage. The Daily Mail - natch - has been at its usual …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Waiting with baited breath

to see if Activision can get people to stump up for the same game *4* times in a row.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

DM, don't you just love 'em!

"The Daily Mail - natch - has been at its usual scaremongering best, claiming yesterday that scenes witnessed in trailers were too similar to London's 7 July 2005 tube and bus bombings"

The trailer I saw had a someone driving a Ford pickup truck next to a tube train, these are Victorian tunnels barely wide enough to get the sodding train down, let alone a freaking pickup driving at 50mph! FFS! Nothing like the July 7th atrocities, where four psychos, who'd made bombs in their sheds, decided to get their 72 virgins, nothing like a, and here's the important bit DM readers, FANTASY ROLE PLAYING ( and the important word... ) GAME.

I don't normally like games ike that, don't have the patience for all that run, crouch and shoot stuff, but I must admit to getting a warm, fuzzy man-feeling watching those trailers!!

1. Elmer Phud

Anorak mode

There are places on the tube where there is quite a bit of space.

Mainly the places where they used 'cut and cover'.

But, yes, it's not yer standard movie-friendly underground rail network. I'd like to see them try 50mph on the bendy section coming in to Euston form Camden Town.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Am I the only one to think...

..that Activision is doing this deliberately now, adding controversial material/cut scenes to get a predictable knee jerk reactions from mainstream media (Daily Mail, etc...) and loads of free advertising out of it.

Battlefield 3 - we want live baby brain eating cut scenes to compete with MW3 controversy.

(Grenade, obviously).

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

My name is "outraged". I live in Nowheresville...

Yeah, yeah yeah... supposed outrage that the game contains both buses and explosions and could tenuously at best refer to the London bombings.

But no outrage that it involves shooting Russians? Perhaps real controversy should be courted by having a COD game where the main protagonist is a Russian whose main goal is to blow away Yanks and Brits for nothing more than their shocking double standards.

5. SuperNintendoChalmers

Must have missed that bit in the newspapers

I didn't realise the 7/7 attackers actually raced through the tube system firing at the trains using a cannon mounted on some kind of jeep.

I really should pay more attention.

6. Andy Fletcher
    Thumb Up

Presumably the Daily Mail knows....

They are fuelling the sales with this sort of nonesense. Honestly, if they told Actiision they were planning to print a story telling how unspeakably violent MW3 is going to be, Activision would've probably just replied with:

"Great! How much will that cost us?"

Personally, I can't wait for this one.

7. Dabooka
    Happy

At least the article is taking a beating

in the Mail's own comments section.

8. Sean Gray
    Grenade

Size matters

But does the game actually last longer than a couple of hours this time?

1. trarch

Multiplayer

People generally say they buy it for the online multiplayer - some don't bother with the singleplayer at all. It's disappointing that the singleplayer gets shorter each time though. The problem is they get away with it every time, regardless of how many people complain about what.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh I do love the Daily Mail

Just taken a quote a few lines in:

"Call Of Duty 3 has not yet received an age certification... "

Erm, CoD 3 was released 5 years ago and has received several age ratings. Get back to making up lies to support the BNP mail and stay out of stuff you have even less of a clue about.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    FAIL

Outrage at vidya games?

I can't heeeeaaar it over the sizzling splattering made by remains of sand**ggers and their couple of kids uncollaterally targetified by hellfire missiles and a fat load of DU.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best comment I've seen so far.

Was from some guy who called for Pro Evolution Soccer (or similar) to be banned as it brought back traumatic memories of a sprained ankle he suffered playing football in his teens.

12. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    Happy

got bored with black ops...

now combine call of duty with grand theft auto and you've got a real game....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Oh but it will be the case

"While Microsoft snapped up partial exclusivity in CoD's previous outing, with Black Ops' DLC content hitting Xbox 360 long before PS3, Infinity Ward has assured us this won't be the case with MW3."

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=479305

The Microsoft deal wasnt for Black Ops, it was for all CoD games released upto the end of 2012. All the IW guy said was there isnt a lead platform, game is being developed with all platforms in mind rather than dodgy ports. Exclusive content is still exclusive

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like