back to article Darkspore

Yes I am old and I remember when Maxis was all about SimCity. Proving it was the God of simulation the developer then managed to get everyone addicted to the The Sims. At the time, I was too busy having a life (read: taking drugs), to get really stuck in, I hear it on good authority that The Sims 2 was absolutely amazing and had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. T.a.f.T.
    Alien

Something familiar

There was a game from the eary 2000s which had a similar look and feel to it... I got it, Evolva.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolva

Basically you started on a ship with 4 different alien creatures (one fast, one beefy, one stealth and one for long range I think) and as you killed creatures they dropped DNA. Collecting lots of DNA from a hand to hand style creature meant you could push more hand to hand DNA into which ever of your 4 creatures you liked.

You controlled one of the creatures at a time while the others followed a long and auto-assisted until you switched to one of them.

Anyway for some reason your article made me think of that game, does it sound similar or have I wondered off down nostalgia lane?

1. Heff
      Thumb Down

nostalgia lane, Im afraid

this is more, "lets use the Spore engine to bodge up another DOTA / HoN clone. we'll try and work in a storyline (and fail. hire a writer, maxis, fucks sake) and elements from crawlers like Dungeon Siege and Diablo" (random loot with a save-it-to-upgrade-it system) its much more modular, equip-items-to slots than Evolva was.

Played in since Beta, on and off, and its... ok. It still feels unfinished and clunky, and the single player is a miserable waste of time. multiplayer is more fun, but... well, if you're want to play fun multiplayer, there's better more immersive examples in every other genre, and in this specific one, you're already playing HoN or DOTA and you're not leaving for this.

pretty poor offerings from maxis these days. 'The Sims', Spore and darkspore. Its been a while since a city-a-like, and societies was just dreadful, it would be nice to see them re-imagine sim-farm, or sim-life, or any of their early titles, rather than push forward uncompetitive and unimaginative titles like this one :/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok, but not great

I've been playing since the steam beta started, its an ok game, I would give it 7/10. Some people will like it a lot more.

I got the game for multi-player, smashing monsters with friends, and thats been fun.

If you need something to play now, go for it, but if you got something else to play until D3 arrives, you could probably skip this game

3. TakeTheSkyRoad

Confused....

So this is an RPG ? Reading the review I thought it was an RTS at first !

If this confused me then it's bound to confuse other people. I've been playing long enough to have played Sim City 1 in its day and I remember Spore but never played it.

Maybe I missed something but there is an assumed knowledge of Spore here

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spore Engine

It uses the Spore engine, but its not like Spore, its an Action-RPG / Diablo style / hack and slash. Instead of the normal classes and skill trees, there are 25 basic heroes and 4 versions of each with a different "#2" ability.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So have the got rid of the dodgy DRM?

...like I said have the got rid of the DRM that got them sued yet?

5. Tieger

HoN/DOTA/LoL?

contrary to what Heff says, its not really anything like HoN/DoTA/LoL. well, you control a hero from a top down view. thats pretty much it. the DoTA clones are all about pvp - the pve in them is just thrown in for something to level up on. in this, its the pvp thats fairly pointless - no rewards as far as i'm aware, and the balancing leaves a lot to be desired.

the main part of the game is much more akin to games like diablo or titanquest, in that you slaughter hordes of enemies, then a boss, then lots of enemies, etc, then swapping some gear around to fight better.

the character-switching is a nice touch, and makes it so that your 'character' is actually the whole squad (especially given that they share some abilities), and you have to make sure that your 3 heroes together work well.

i dont recomend playing it solo though, goes best with freinds.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like