back to article Israeli couple dub sprog 'Like'

An Israeli couple inspired by the spawn of Zuckerberg have dubbed their unfortunate daughter "Like", the BBC reports. Lior Adler and missus Vardit slapped the sprog with the unique moniker in honour of the Facebook button which allows users to express approval of their chums' posts. Proud dad Adler explained to the Maariv …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. a well wisher
    WTF?

Barking ...

I thought it was the preserve of the so caled 'celeb' to saddle their kids with crass and stupid names

Shame Johhy Cash isn't still with us

1. jake Silver badge

"celeb only"?

Nah. Idiots abound.

2. Juan Inamillion

I wonder why?

"Considering that I have only a little more than 100 friends ..."

That is all.

1. oddie
      Thumb Up

100 friends?

I would think just over 100 friends would be what a normally adjusted human would have on facebook? childhood friends, the people you actually liked from school, some of your workmates, family and people you've met whilst on holiday + friends of friends?

Lets not pretend that 'friend' collecting is the norm now.

1. jake Silver badge

@oddie

"normally adjusted" humans don't give a rat's ass about facebook.

Seriously. Most "normally adjusted" people have RealLife[tm] friends.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @oddie

That's a very tedious perspective. Many 'normally adjusted' people use Facebook to facilitate their social lives in RealLife, and to talk to like minds to stay sane when they are forced to spend their days among... non-like minds.

Besides, most 'normally-adjusted' people don't post on the Reg. You know this to be true.

1. jake Silver badge

"forced"? Eh?

Chained to your desk, are you? You know, there really is a RealWorld[tm] out there, Sarah. Most of us leave work at ... uh ... work.

ElReg posters are a mixed bag, overall, in the "adjusted" department ... kinda like the techy sub-set of humanity that ElReg caters to ... SHOCK! HORROR! Online forum in "does what it says on the tin" outrage! Film at eleven!111!!!!!!1111one!!111

1. thecakeis(not)alie
              Dead Vulture

@jake

Oh, aye. And you're most well adjusted of the bunch, natch.

Uber-libertarian nutter with massive disdain for anyone who doesn't agree with him (the vast majority of the world) uses an internet forum to tell other people they are idiots! Read the shocking exclusive here!

Please.

The world moved on, changed and grew and you didn’t adapt. Get over it. Get over yourself. There are entire generations of people that don’t give a damn what you think, believe that what you espouse is totally outdated. You can scream at "da yoof" to stay off your digital lawn all you want, but honestly dude...it's all deja moo* 'round here.

Andrew O will rail against climate change. Lewis Page will be pragmatic to a fault. Lester Haines will be hilarious and you will demean and degrade anyone who doesn’t agree with your particular flavour of ultra-libertarian values.

There is nothing new under the sun.

*The feeling you've heard this bullshit before.

1. jake Silver badge

@thecakeis(not)alie

"The world moved on, changed and grew and you didn’t adapt."

I have a real 28 acre veggie garden, loads of spring lambs, three very pregnant sows, and four Belted Galloway steers, which will help feed us over the coming year. In the RealWorld[tm].

You have "Farmville".

Do the math(s).

Re: @thecakeis(not)alie

What you have is a very healthy superiority complex, chap.

2. thecakeis(not)alie

@jake

You've a farm.

*clap, clap, clap*

So we have that.

As it so happens, I've one too. Zombie apocalypse precautions, and all. Lease the land out to a very nice couple and their enormous herds of livestock for $1 a year. (They're friends of the family and manage the land, farmhouse and equipment for me. If they get healthier livestock off land I'm not using, then go for it!) I’ve no use for the land I inherited – yet – and no desire to give up the creature comforts of life until the apocalypse actually arrives.

I’m sure that makes me an inferior creature and all, but…DAMN…I do love those creature comforts. Broadband, video games, cinemas to take the girl to. Gardens and parks, river valleys and theatres. I enjoy long walks down Whyte Ave to watch the people, buy some trinkets and enjoy the antics of a street performer. I enjoy seeing human creativity at work and be reminded that the world is bigger than me, my problems and the things that fill my personal brain.

For some people – most of my province – farming is a way of life. Actually, for most of them, they’ve no way off the farm, so they stay there generation after generation. Usually in some pretty dire poverty. I’ll take the creature comforts of the city life over the (quite litteral) bullshit of the farm any day.

If any when the farm is needed, well…I’ve a full section of land. It’s a nice place to visit, but the hell would I live there voluntarily?

More to the point, why would I go on the internet – you know, that place that’s filled primarily with people who have broadband and live in cities – and then act like a pompous arrogant asshat “because I own a farm?” Really? That’s supposed to impress people ‘round here?

*clap, clap, clap*

Yep, you are a truly stunning example of Homo Sapiens Invictus. I bow before you and your evident superiority.

1. jake Silver badge

@Sarah & thecakeis(not)alie

I made a very valid point[1].

Your knees jerked. Think about it.

[1] And I may have been lying in the details[2] ... on the 'net, nobody knows if you're just a dog.

[2] Ted Sturgeon said "90% of everything is crap". Personally, I feel that 99% of everything you see and/or read on the 'net is crap. So statistically, according to my own commentary, I am full of it. Do with that what you will; no skin off my teeth :-)

1. thecakeis(not)alie

"I was trolling all along."

Oh, my apologies for not picking up on that. Obviously I am deficient.

*patpat*

1. jake Silver badge

@thecakeis(not)alie

And still you miss the point.

::sighs:: Maybe I should stop tilting at windmills ...

Re: @thecakeis(not)alie

You know if I zapped you and gave 'intense pomposity' as the reason, I don't think the boss would mind. I might do that as a little treat to myself before I leave.

1. jake Silver badge

@Sarah

Zap away.

It won't alter the fact that you have completely missed my point in this thread.

In other news: Leaving us? Speaking as a long-term Usenet moderator, it's good to take a break once in a while ... hoi polloi are absolute assholes[1]. Come back if/when you feel it's a good idea, and not a minute sooner. Life's too short to deal with idiots on a daily basis.

[1] Yes, I include myself in hoi polloi, gawd/ess knows I'm no saint :-)

Re: @Sarah

Well, I guess I'll just have to live with that, won't I?

2. thecakeis(not)alie
                          Badgers

Onward, Rocinante!

Ooooo. I'm a "ferocious giant" now! How exquisitely exciting! FE FI FO FUM...

Hmm. Does mixing literature carry the same connotations as mixing metaphors? I’ve lost track. Either way, bonus points to the inestimable Sarah Bee for being far pithier than I. Have to work on that.

In any case, let's all go outside and play with real people. Your windmill has spoken.

1. jake Silver badge

@thecakeis(not)alie

Sorry, kid.

You're not the giant. The perception/concept/idea that I'm commenting on is.

Instead of going outside and playing, how about going outside & planting a garden? Maybe do something useful instead of fiddling about with !gooMyFaceYouMStwit?

1. thecakeis(not)alie

@jake

When I go outside, I do useful things. I establish relationships with other human beings. I expand the circle of skills I have access to. I SOCIAL NETWORK. Then, when I go to plant my garden, I have a guy with a truck, a guy with a masters in botany, a guy with some plants to spare, a guy with access to good fertiliser and a guy who can tell me “were the lines are” so I don’t cut a gas line while I’m digging up my back yard.

(Incidentally, that was last weekend’s exercise.)

I have an idea for you: why don’t you just leave the internet? Actually, quit society all together. You evidently not only dislike people, you believe yourself inimically superior to them. We can never live up to your example, so please, do all of humanity a favour and just don’t remind us of that fact, okay? Leave us to exist in the squalor that is our own existence.

For people who aren’t you, we can only ever be truly good at a few things. For people who aren’t you, we will only ever have limited financial resources to hire others to fill the gaps. For people who aren’t you, we need to social network – in real life and online – to ensure that we have access to the skills we lack. For people who aren’t you, we have friends, family, loved ones and even acquaintances that we care bout, enjoy their company and choose to spend our time with.

For people that aren’t you, there is value in extracting pleasure from life…and we extract that pleasure in ways other than being pompous, arrogant and generally a giant fucking asshole.

So please, take your superior self away. We can’t stand to be reminded of how obviously inferior we are to you. You, who can do all, know all, and have no need of anyone but yourself. You shame us with your presence.

That, and you’re a dick.

1. jake Silver badge

@thecakeis(not)alie

Nice ad hominem filled diatribe. Hopefully it was cathartic for you.

During the meanwhile, you still miss my point ...

3. Gordan

An xkcd cartoon comes to mind...

If you're going to get creative with naming your child, do it properly:

http://xkcd.com/327/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hum

If you are going for a Facebook angle then "Like" is better than "Leaky" I suppose.

1. Marvin the Martian
      WTF?

Luckily Facebook has replaced eBay which replaced Amazon as the web world wonder of today.

Otherwise we'd be reading about little "Make-Offer" or "OneClick"/"Goto-Checkout".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

From Tel-Aviv to Tumbuktu....

Facebook inspired names? I suppose it had to happen, sooner or later.

All in the cloud, don't you know....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the modern world

Next one up will be called Tweet This, I guess.

7. Peter Storm

Could have been worse I suppose...

He could have called her Poke.

8. mut_tley

No gravy?

Surely they made a typo with there second offspring, if you have pie youve gotta have mash

9. Arnold Lieberman
    Alert

Could be worse

Dweezil... Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily...

1. Alan 6

Dweezil

Dweezil Zappa's birth name is Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa, as the hospital wouldn't allow Frank Zappa to register the name DDweezil on the birth records.

When Dweezil found out he was actually called Dweezil he changed his name by deed poll.

Personally I think Dweezil is a much better name than Arnold, or Alan for that matter...

10. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Could have been worse, I suppose

As long as she can avoid college in America where the word "like" seems to crop up 5 times a minute she should be okay.

@Lester "in honour of the Facebook button which allows users to express approval". That isn't what the button is about at all, it is about only about tracking users and generating statistics as the developer page makes pretty clear. Wonder if Facebook will ever get round to relabelling it "Track me"? And I wonder whether that would make any difference to user behaviour. Sigh. Where's the cynic's button?

11. E 2

40/100

Conversely the statistic implies that 60% of his FB friends either dislike the new child or are at best ambivalent towards it.

12. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Joke

Sir

Is that like, Like - pronounced Lik-ee ?

Some other unused names for them to consider for next time perhaps..

Fidiot

Myparentsarecunts.com

omg

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The kid's going to be confused

If the usual chav language continues he'll be like very confused, like, er, you know like, I was like, innit, like, yeah.

1. dogged
      Thumb Down

lo nakhon

Hebrew doesn't work that way.

2. .stu
      Joke

I can already imagine how it will go...

Teenager1: "Have you seen Like?"

Teenager2: "Have I seen, like, what?"

Teenager1: "Have you seen, like, Like?"

Teenager2: "Have I seen, like, WHAT?"

3. Elmer Phud
      Headmaster

Fail

That was around long before 'chav' came in to existance in common speech.

'Iike' has been used by folks from Liverpool for many, many years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fail

>That was around long before 'chav' ...

Did anybody say it wasn't? Do we now have to go back to the very first instance of usage when making a reference to a pattern of behaviour or way of speaking?

1. Elmer Phud

Hmm

I was questioning the use of 'Chav' as a point in history regarding the use of 'like'.

I don't see what 'chav' has to do with it other than another mis-applied social label to feel superior to someone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Headmaster

@Elmer Phud

As one pedant to another, you could also learn to spell "existence".

14. pear
    FAIL

it would sound terrible!

Forget the absurdity of it! In hebrew there isn't even the appropriate vowels to say like, it would sound more like "leck" or "lake"

1. dogged
      Go

I dunno..

lamed aleph yud yud, the thing that sounds like a "k" (it's been a while).

Alright, that'd give you "la-yik" but it works if you shorten the second syllable.

2. Raggs

Sure there are...

Sure there are. Lila (night), is exactly the right sound to start, just stick a kuf on the end. Lamed, yud, kaf (or is it kuf? my hebrew is awful considering i live here).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Like

Whatever!

16. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Up

Been there, done that

Pah, that's nothing. I named my kid "The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits."

17. Luke McCarthy

Clearly

Child abuse

18. MrCheese
    Stop

Could've been worse...

But I guess 'Nefarious and insidious globo-socio-spybucket' doesn't have the same ring to now

19. Eddie 4

Could have been really worse

Brother called Everard, sister called Ophelia, surname of Dick - I kid ye not!

20. dotdavid
    Badgers

Dislike

Good thing Facebook don't have a dislike button, eh?

And possibly better that the parents don't read El Reg. "Badgers" is not a good name for a child.

21. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sad...

..Like is the new version of "Love"

So he ranks his daughter on the same level as 100 people he sends 2 line sentences to every other week.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Good job it wasn't twins

Like and Dislike?

1. peyton?
      Happy

Now now - no favoritism

Surely it would be Like and Upvote.

23. Graham Marsden

A daughter called "Like"

I think that the dad is going to start regretting this when she gets to her teenage years and the number of boys liking Like increases...

1. Adrian Challinor
      Coat

Imagine the conversations between two boys....

"so you, like, like Like, like, right?"

"whatever"

24. Blubster

@Elmer Phud

"'Iike' has been used by folks from Liverpool for many, many years."

That's because they were semi-literate............ Hmmm - not much has changed.

1. weasel

@blubster

...and you being a twat? Not much has changed....like.

25. qwertyuiop
    Coat

Could have been worse

...he could have called her Farmville!

1. davemcwish

Re: Could have been worse

Here's hoping she doesn't turn into an "Angry Bird"

26. Katie Saucey
    Go

Other kid is named Vash?

..sounds quite close to the french for "cow", vache. Lolz all around when he's yelling for his daughter in a Paris mall.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Honey is "Dvash", not "Vash"

The post is required, and must contain letters.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like like Likelike? not very unique!

The name like is not that unique. To me, it seems like an abbrevation of likelike, who was from 1851 til 1887 a Princess of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi.

On the other hand there are also monster with that name in the Zelda game series.

I would love to know his daughter will turn out.

Posted anonymous because my name (combination of first and last name) is unique

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like