back to article Endeavour docks with space station for the last time

Space shuttle Endeavour docked with the International Space Station for the 12th and final time earlier today, as its swansong mission continues to run smoothly. Endeavour docked with the ISS. Pic: NASA TV Just prior to the 10:14 GMT mating, commander Scott Kelly guided the shuttle through a "backflip rotation" to allow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One step closer...

...to a backward step in manned space flight.

The next step should have been a space craft that can take off, land, and take off again like a airplane.

Instead we are going back to capsules.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

AC@11:44

"The next step should have been a space craft that can take off, land, and take off again like a airplane."

Funny you should say that.

The last *serious* effort (as in government funded *built* and tested) flight hardware was the DC-X

A "capsule" by your standards. You don't *have* to have wings for significant cross range and you don't *need* a runway if you land (and take off) vertically. But you *do* need to be comfortable with a sharp nose entry which so far *only* the USAF (or SDIO as the bit that funded DCX was) and their Russian equivalents were happy with this mode. They've done *hundreds* of tests on this.

It has been known since the late 1950s that "aircraft like" *operations* did not *need* an aircraft looking vehicle to achieve them. RE Douglas Aircraft and Philip Bono.

However more to your liking might be the USAF x37b project, while Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser is funded under CCdev and XCorp Aerospace's Lynx vehicle is designed to fly the 0-M3 Virgin Galactic mission with 1 passenger but 4 times a day and their next generation will be a 2 stage to orbit design.

I've missed out Virgin Galactic's vehicle as it is *designed* to go to M3 and *not* as a stepping stone. VG would be interested but are not *pushing* to go to orbit, apparently.

*All* have wings.

Winged vehicles look set to happen.

But NASA will *not* design them, have them operated *exclusively* for their use and should not need the 5000+ "standing army" to service them at a standing charge of c$1Bn/year *regardless* of how many launches it actually makes.

That seems like a *good* thing for people who want to *go* to space and don't want to fund a *very* small group of highly trained civil servants to go there instead.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Thermal tile inspection.

Hmm, just suppose that this had revealed that they were cacked.

As this is the last shuttle, what was Plan B if it couldn't go back? "Hello? Is that Baikonur taxis? Can we book three Soyuz from the ISS to Florida please?"

1. umacf24
      Happy

Atlantis on the pad at Kennedy now

Ready to fuel. Or not.

2. stucs201
      Joke

Nope, they've still got one left

True, they might have problems if that one goes wrong. I therefore suggest that they rename it Ranger 3, nickname the pilot 'Buck' and ensure any cockup cryogenically freezes the crew and sends the shuttle into an orbit which returns it to Earth (a little under *) 500 years later.

(* needs to return before the end of the 25th century)

3. Bakunin
      Headmaster

Re: Thermal tile inspection

They normally have a backup plan for that kind of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-3xx

Not sure if Atlantis has a meter though. Plus "out of town" destination normally need to be paid up front!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Atlantis will be with you in 20mins mate.

Atlantis was on the crawler this morning, moving to it's mating with the tank and boosters, so in taxi terms, it will be with you in about 20mins (read july or after midnight)

DJ.

3. R J Tysoe
    Coat

required

It's a bit of a let down to see that the ISS personel wear chinos and polo shirts. Surely someone could have designed a suitable spandex all in one suit? No wonder other intelligent life in the galaxy is shunning us.

Mines the silvery spandex one with the epaulettes

1. stucs201
      Paris Hilton

I'll refer you to my other post above

it'll be sorted out in the next 500 years.

(paris? no wilma deering icon available)

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@R J Tysoe

"It's a bit of a let down to see that the ISS personel wear chinos and polo shirts."

The whole point of space stations is the idea of a "shirt sleeve" environment to *eliminate* wearing some kind of form fitting pressure suit 24/7.

Life is a *lot* simpler when you can get your routine supplies at a fairly normal clothing shop rather Playtex company (who IIRC did the original Blue shuttle coveralls with lots of velcro patches). This being NASA I suspect they are not *quite* the sort of things you might see the staff of (say) Xcorp wearing at a conference.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nostalgia

Thanks for the earlier article giving the Nasa video feed address. I used to watch the live feeds from Nasa back at the start of the US manned space and moon missions. There was a lot of hanging around back then too, they might be travelling at high speed but they do things very slowly.

Will the new era of private business based rocketry be quite so generous with the video I wonder. I hope so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like