back to article Vodafone touts 'new concept' smartphone

You'd have thought Vodafone had low-cost Android smartphone a-plenty to sell, but it still feels it needs another, this one an own-brander aimed at folk who haven't used a smartphone before. The Vodafone 858 Smart only runs Android 2.2 Froyo, but comes with the usual array of Google apps, plus 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Leona A
    Happy

Cheap as Chips

£80 for an Android smartphone, hey that's pretty good, still I doubt I'll be able to sell the idea to my partner, who is dead against these things, shame :(

1. Scotty81
      Stop

Oh how about....

For about the same kinda money you could get a Orange San Francisco which for the money is a great (and custom firmware capable) Android phone

2. dotdavid
    Alert

Good price, but...

...like other budget Android smartphones it's likely to be a little underpowered. My partner's Wildfire certainly is, and I suspect this handset will use the same 528Mhz ARM CPU. Watching that try to play Angry Birds (which granted isn't the best-programmed bit of software in the world) is painful, even with the background switched off. Similarly, her friend has the budget Samsung Galaxy Whateveritis which she's equally frustrated with.

That said, from the screenshot it looks like Huawei have gone for a mostly stock experience here rather than tonnes of HTC-Sense-style customisation that on a handset like this might slow things down.

But if they don't get the performance right here, first-time smartphone buyers are likely to be put off, especially if they don't realise more expensive phones can be far more usable.

Caution symbol because buyers might want to save up for a phone with a 1GHz+ CPU.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the wrong budget smartphone

funny, my cheap nokia c7 plays angry birds just fine. The cpu inside that hasn't realy much better performance. Perhaps android is just too resource hungry to be used on "low power" ARM-devices?

3. DrXym

New concept?

How are phones with crippled functionality and designer / interchangeable covers a new concept?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

If this is like the Vodafone 845...

And shares the same platform as the Huawei Pulse Mini, it's an okay machine - rooting is simple, it has a 600 Mhz MSN chip that overclocks to 700Mhz, no 3D acceleration or Flash support though. Still faster than a first gen iPhone on general tasks.

Thing is, Huawei can't release kernel source code that actually works out of the box, so expect frustration while waiting for a working custom ROM solution.

Also, likely to come with a resistive screen for that price - what is okay since the screen is small, but it's pretty painfull typing after a while, and not at all like using a modern capacitive smartphone.

5. heyrick Silver badge

320x240 ?

Ugh. That is so last decade.

1. epdm2be

re: 320x240

Not only that. Many android apps won't even work on this device. The oldest devices had 320x480 pixels resolution. Most apps will work fine from anything up but starting from this 320x480. So it's ridiculous to bring out android devices with lower resolutions (looking angry at Sony Ericsson who started this).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like