back to article Expressive e-commerce safe after judge sides with Amazon

Thanks to a First Amendment-waving judge, US prosecutors have given up their efforts to subpoena the names of thousands of people who've purchased used books on Amazon.com. Last year, as part of an investigation into the online book selling habits of a city official in Madison, Wisconsin, a federal grand jury subpoenaed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart Van Onselen
    Thumb Up

What???

Where did they find this guy? A judge that actually know what a blogger is, and even how they (over)react? A judge that actually give a damn about the First Amendment? A judge who chastises the laziness and over-reaching of the FBI?

Hoorah! I didn't know the US had any of those left.

And yes, I, too, just love his writing style. I suspect he chose to defend Amazon in part because he wants to write his own book one day. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oops!

Was the FBI involved in this perhaps they seem to think they can't do their jobs without breaking constitutionality never mind they had done it for almost 70 years previous. This is the kind of thing that happens when you have people hired by appointed cartoon cronies of the current administration none of whom could police a nursery without a wiretap.

3. heystoopid
    Black Helicopters

It's Time

It's time the powers of the grand jury be ended as they are operating totally outside the laws of the land and are attempting to implement justice vigilante style by illegal unconstitutional means !

Who so ever implemented/instigated this particular very illegal Grand Jury fishing expedition should be sacked immediately and automatically disbarred from holding down any future job or any form of employment with any government organization period as they have now been totally corrupted by their existing powers and their greed for more authority of absolute rule above that which the law permits now exceeds the bounds of sensibility !

They can now no longer be trusted period as they shown zero respect for all the laws as written and replaced it with their own corrupted illegal vigilante version !

Sack them all , is the only true justice for this case !

4. Andy
    Thumb Up

Thanks Judge

Three cheers for that judge. He is spot on. The prospect of the government stomping around with it's size 12 boots on the list of books I read would have stopped me buying from Amazon almost instantly.

5. Joe Stalin
    Black Helicopters

Nervous look over the shoulder

Considering my reading list I'd be shit scared if I thought Amazon was going to roll over and pony up.

Stupid white Men

Hey Dude: Where's My Country

Lying Lies and the Lyers who tell them

Rumsfeld: An American Disaster.

Worse then watergate

Against all ememies.

The US thought police would have me in Gitmo faster than you could say "Black Helicopter"

6. Chris Cheale

@Joe

The "Joe Stalin" handle probably wouldn't help your cause either :P

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Three cheers for the Judge

Governments have never had a power that they have not abused or misused. At least we have 1 judge willing to say "Here and No Further"

I find it even more interesting that the lawyers did not want the ruling released... what part of speedy PUBLIC trial did they miss when taking the Bar examime

8. b shubin
    Heart

There may be hope yet

wow. who appointed this guy?

i bet Cheney's pacemaker went into overdrive for about 5 minutes after he heard about this.

though it is my fervent ambition to stay far, far away from the US judicial system (can't really call it "Justice" if there's universal wiretapping, security letters, DHS, suspended habeas corpus, the Imperial Presidency, Gitmo and the torture prisons, etc.), and this guy's writing style is worthy of the tabloid press, i would shake his hand and thank him if i ever meet him (i am NOT a social person, so this would be a stretch for me).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Joe

Yet you posted it freely?

In other news, that judge has completely and utterly destroyed my faith in the system. Before, at least I had faith that I was gonna get screwed, now... not so sure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like