back to article Declare Steve Fossett dead, asks adventurer's widow

The wife of missing adventurer Steve Fossett has filed a petition for her husband to be declared legally dead, some three months after the 63-year-old disappeared without trace in the Nevada desert. Despite a huge search operation mounted following Fosset's evidently ill-fated 3 September flight from Barron Hilton's Flying M …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Barratt
    Pirate

wish they would just say what they mean

Why she didn't just say... "We must accept that it is time for us to spend Steves money"

"As anyone can imagine, this is a difficult day for our family there is so much money to spend and so little to spend it on...."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cynical

My god... such cynicism. You must be great to hang out with!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headline paradox

"Declare Steve Fossett dead, asks adventurer's widow"

If he's not officially dead yet, then she's not (officially) his widow; if she's a widow, he must already be officially dead. Surely you mean

"Declare Steve Fossett dead, asks adventurer's soon-to-be-widow"

or

"Declare Steve Fossett dead, asks adventurer's presumptive widow"

or

"Declare Steve Fossett dead, asks adventurer's aspirant widow"

or even, if you wanted to be really radical, ...

"Declare Steve Fossett dead, asks adventurer's wife"

4. Sam
    Coat

He is on the floor of the cage

He is an ex Fossett.

He is no more.

He has run down the curtain, and joined the Choir Invisible....

Ah, the nice people are here to take me back to the ward....

5. Rick Brasche
    Coat

figures...

*EIGHT* figures... childless....and how long ago was this will last updated?

/wonders if Mr. Fosset was really even aboard any aircraft in the first place. Perhaps he's buried under the garden out back:P

6. Tim Brown
    Coat

He's not dead...

....he's just having a luau with Elvis and Amelia Earhart

7. Daniel B.
    Pirate

Show me the money!

<snip>

Accordingly, Peggy Fossett has now asked a judge to "begin the process of distributing her husband's assets according to his will", the Telegraph explains. The petition, filed in a Chicago court, said: "[Steve] Fossett's wealth is vast, surpassing eight figures in liquid assets, various entities and real estate."

</snip>

Now that's the kind of stuff that usually turns you into Prime Suspect. Hey, boo-hoo, my husband's dead ... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

IF Fossett's alive, I think the first thing he must do after being rescued is file a divorce and disown that "human being". I might have believed the "we gotta admit he's dead" feeling, except it was immediately followed by "start distributing his wealth". Sheesh.

I chose the pirate avatar 'coz this smells like plunder, matey! Arrrrr!!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

How irresponsible

...he had no life insurance!

9. Andre
    Alien

Area 51?

We all know how strict the no-fly-zone over Area 51 is.. maybe he was knocked off course, right in the middle of some ultra-secret test flight.

SO he's probably working out some of the bugs in the B-3a Visual Stealth (tm) system...

10. Stratman
    Stop

Not so fast

There's a good reason for the long wait before presuming death (7 years in the UK).

Five years ago police called off the search for a canoeist who went missing at sea, and everybody but the law presumed he was dead.

Yesterday he wandered into a police station.

This topic is closed for new posts.