back to article Easier cookie deleting comes to Adobe Flash

Adobe has released a new version of its ubiquitous Flash Player that finally makes it easier for users to delete the digital breadcrumbs some websites have abused to track users against their wishes. Flash 10.3 implements an industry-standard known as NPAPI ClearSiteData for deleting so-called LSOs, or local shared objects. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ed Vim

BetterPrivacy add-on for Firefox

>> Previously, the only way to delete Flash cookies was to use an online settings panel that was confusing for many users.

The BetterPrivacy FF extension has always allowed you to manage your LSOs, and in a very granular way. You can delete them all manually, or selectively, or periodically, with options to clean out LSOs when you start FF or quit it. Recently I've also seen other FF extensions like Ghostery include wiping LSOs too.

I never trusted Adobe's online settings panel. It had a quirky interface, required you to actually be online, and relying on a company like Adobe considering their history of security and privacy issues take a great leap of faith.

2. Wibble
    Stop

Or ...

use FlashBlock.

There, fixed it for you.

3. Bakunin
    Stop

The was another way

The Firefox plugin Better Privacy deletes the LSOs.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

4. DZ-Jay

Allow flash to install in my Control Panel...

Are you serious??

-dZ.

5. Reg T.
    Joke

If the new Flash control installs

to Control Panel, it does so secretly. Adobe and Windows are well suited to each other, given their common security focus.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash gone

Run this simple script at startup

@echo off

rem http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

cd "%userprofile%\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\"

del #SharedObjects /s /q/a *.sol

del macromedia.com /s /q /a *.sol

7. Dan 55 Silver badge

Close, but no cigar...

It doesn't have a delete LSOs at the end of session option so those who wipe cookies, etc... when they close the browser still need Better Privacy. They're getting there though.

8. VeganVegan
    Big Brother

Read-only

Just make the directories where flash stores its cookies read-only.

This way you can still use flash when you want, but without having to clean up after it.

9. MgrBloodBath
    WTF?

Still no 64 bit Linux.

Just this old preview with its know security holes.

Preview 3

Date Nov 30, 2010

Thankfully their is Gnash and HTML.

Adobe what a joke!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash Preference Pane for Mac still misses the Mark

Seems like the delete all does not work when it comes to Adobe's Preference Pane for Mac OSX. Similar to the Settings Manager, which really was bad, the only improvement appears to be the way updates are handled.

More here

http://www.magmatic.com/currents/2011/5/13/new-flash-preference-pane-still-struggles-to-help-protect-pr.html

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

for all your block flash needs

you can use no flash for Chrome, Click to Flash for Safari and noscript for Firefox. All great.

I tend not to use it, just creates another attack surface.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use Flash Cookies Cleaner

I use this.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Flash-Cookies-Cleaner.shtml

It shows you what LSOs are there (Analyze) and then deletes them for you (Delete).

13. Dave 62
    Boffin

lettersandnumbersandstuff

I always just deleted them manually..

C:\Documentsandsquigglylineetc...

shirley that works.. online panel doo-daa or not.

14. bumpy
    Troll

No Flash

I don't worry about Flash- I surf using my iPad exclusively.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like