back to article Newly emerged banking Trojan challenges ZeuS-SpyEye duopoly

A new banking Trojan with infection rates similar to SpyEye and Zeus in some regions has emerged. The Sunspot Trojan has already been linked to instances of fraudulent losses, according to transaction security firm Trusteer. The Windows-based malware is designed to carry out man-in-the-browser attacks, including web injections …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. a53
    Happy

Ah,

I'm glad I use a mac. Every time I read the vitriol of MS users, items like this restore my faith in my decision making processes

1. An nonymous Cowerd
      Flame

I just use Tails

On x86 hardware, Tails is The Anonymous Internet Live System , a 700meg debian distro CD that runs iceweasel over Vidalia/Tor, and leaves minimal footprint on the host hardware. (It runs on a mac, but the Wifi wasn't functional on my iMac-ethernet ok) Now of course the problem is that the crims are starting to host Tor exit servers looking for financial traffic..... Come on three(4inuk) letter agencies, we need more Tor servers!

But yes, windows and banking should be kept f a r A P A R T

2. Ilgaz

We are lucky because of market share

Do you really believe hiding from advanced windows antiviruses (not the free junk) is that easy? For these black hats, Mac (when it gets right market share) is a dream with no antivirus running and people blame AV companies when they dare to talk.

3. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

Whoa there Sonny

With Mac sales skyrocketing it's starting to like a platform that the scumbags will happily invest some time and effort into finding the weaknesses, so I would get too comfortable with that smug attitude.

I own 4 Macs but I don't trust any O/S maker to build the perfect system without making mistakes, whether that be Windows, Linux or Mac. There's no substitute for good honest paranoia when connecting to "da toobs"!

4. Al_21

Ah

I use MS... dont need to restore my faith in my decision making process - already have faith in it.

5. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I do too - but run the occasional AV check as well

The problem with most Mac users is that they believe instead of check. I will not claim my Mac is "impossible to highjack" - although I don't install what I don't know (and run my main account without admin rights - NOT an OSX default), I still prefer proof over religion, so I run Kaspersky every so often.

I would in any case not get too glib. an MITM attack can be executed outside your precious Mac by a highjacked site. That can be achieved by DNS pollution, and Safari is IMHO pretty crap at showing the contents of site certificates. At that point it's game over - for OSX and Linux too.

So please don't get too comfortable just yet. So far, I have seen only halfway solutions - stay alert..

2. Gerrit Hoekstra
    Linux

Ha ha, Windows!

'nuff said.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

He should not have said that

He should not have said that.

(with apologies to JKR)

4. Ooo-wait-BUT!
    Troll

paraphrasing another shark-related story

... just when you thought it was safe to go back in your overdraft :o)

5. Velv
    Pirate

Source

7 comments in and the usual Mac / MS / Linux bitching. But no comments about the source of the article.

T r u s t e e r

One of the companies promoting its solution to , oh, let's see, man-in-the-browser attacks such as this. "Only 20% of products pick it up, and ours just happens to be one of them"

Never believe the hype from any vendor. Just be totally paranoid in the first place. And don't be especially smug that your non-Windows machine is "safe". It's just "safe" until someone hacks it. EVERYTHING is vulnerable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BUT

Somethings are more vulnerable than others !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like